Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running DS DSCI and have occasional clutch slip in 5th and 6th, i was going to upgrade to DS Mod C but wondered if it would be a better option to change to the dark side
and make a trip to see gary at profile/code red. i understand, correct me if im wrong, that the CR295 is a smoother map than the DS, which im thinking would reduce/eliminate the clutch slip?

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I use the code red 295 map and mod c. I would say if your clutch is slipping it will slip even with code red, I would save your money and get your clutch changed or upgraded.

·
Registered
275 Posts
QUOTE(np247921 @ 28 Dec 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Currently running DS DSCI and have occasional clutch slip in 5th and 6th, i was going to upgrade to DS Mod C but wondered if it would be a better option to change to the dark side
and make a trip to see gary at profile/code red. i understand, correct me if im wrong, that the CR295 is a smoother map than the DS, which im thinking would reduce/eliminate the clutch slip?

Both are some of the smoothest maps out there but mod-c comes in progressive and higher up the rev range and holds till 6000 where as code red comes on boost straight away with great mid range but it falls off earlier than mod-c. CODE-RED is designed for low down grunt and a blistering midrange where as mod-c is designed for blistering mid range and holding it higher up in the rev-range. To me mod-c feels like the standard car but only more of it. Its really smooth but still gives you a kick in the back mid range which gives good rolling road results. You need to be over 2000 rpm when you want to gun it with mod-c where as with code:red any gear any revs and it will pull.
It depends what your after really, both are great maps and designed by top tuners with cracking customer service. It comes down to how you drive. I chose mod-c just because you get less wheels spin and more top end.

If your getting slip with dsci I would say just treat yourself and get an rs clutch and fly wheel then go for a long test drive in both tuners cars to see which you prefer. Both are good fun.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Its not the map thats the problem its the clutch, Philjb was spot on with that.

I don't see the point of changing maps just to reduce it, if you want to prolong the life of the clutch for a bit remove the map until you get a new one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The only map (apart from standard) that will stop the clutch slip are the Bluefin reduced torque maps. CR and DS maps give too much torque for weak clutches (I have a weak clutch and have tried them)

I've been running Bluefin reduced torque for 4 months now with a weak clutch and no slip so far. It was slipping in 4th, 5th and 6th on the other maps. DSCi and Race+ being the worst due to the boost spikes.

Still the best advice is get the clutch fixed if you can afford it.

David

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Enceladus @ 30 Dec 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only map (apart from standard) that will stop the clutch slip are the Bluefin reduced torque maps. CR and DS maps give too much torque for weak clutches (I have a weak clutch and have tried them)

I've been running Bluefin reduced torque for 4 months now with a weak clutch and no slip so far. It was slipping in 4th, 5th and 6th on the other maps. DSCi and Race+ being the worst due to the boost spikes.

Still the best advice is get the clutch fixed if you can afford it.

David

Could you explain this reduced torque map please, what torque figure are we talking about?

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE(np247921 @ 30 Dec 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could you explain this reduced torque map please, what torque figure are we talking about?

I can't remember the exact figure sorry but Jamie at Superchips will tell you. Its higher than standard for sure but less than the peak of DS/CR remaps at lower RPM. At higher RPM theres not much difference in torque/power as the standard ST turbo can't supply enough pressure to maintain full boost anyway. What it does is take out the peak of torque at about 3000rpm ish and flattens the torque curve more. Its this peak that typically causes the slip on the clutch but also gives you that big smile on your face when you nail it. IIRC the Stage I reduced torque map is still about 260bhp and hits/hold 0.9bar (3/4 guage) of boost.

·
Registered
82 Posts
QUOTE(Enceladus @ 30 Dec 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can't remember the exact figure sorry but Jamie at Superchips will tell you. Its higher than standard for sure but less than the peak of DS/CR remaps at lower RPM. At higher RPM theres not much difference in torque/power as the standard ST turbo can't supply enough pressure to maintain full boost anyway. What it does is take out the peak of torque at about 3000rpm ish and flattens the torque curve more. Its this peak that typically causes the slip on the clutch but also gives you that big smile on your face when you nail it. IIRC the Stage I reduced torque map is still about 260bhp and hits/hold 0.9bar (3/4 guage) of boost.

Is that similar to the Perf+ DS map?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(magicone @ 30 Dec 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is that similar to the Perf+ DS map?

I swapped to perf+ yesterday for experimental reasons and the "slip" is thier, just not as much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
QUOTE(np247921 @ 30 Dec 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I swapped to perf+ yesterday for experimental reasons and the "slip" is thier, just not as much.

Hmm I suppose though, as someone has suggested above there could be a problem with the clutch itself so even if you change the map the slip will still be there. Have you tried returning to standard...has this removed the clutch slip?

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE(magicone @ 30 Dec 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is that similar to the Perf+ DS map?

Power wise yes, infact I used to use Perf+ alot to due to my clutch but it did slip a little even with that map. I prefer the Bluefin map to the Perf+ one, as perf+ was a little dull. What I was after was something more like DSCi without the clutch slip and the Bluefin reduced torque map is pretty much that but as I said the trade off is the grin factor when you nail it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
QUOTE(Enceladus @ 30 Dec 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Power wise yes, infact I used to use Perf+ alot to due to my clutch but it did slip a little even with that map. I prefer the Bluefin map to the Perf+ one, as perf+ was a little dull. What I was after was something more like DSCi without the clutch slip and the Bluefin reduced torque map is pretty much that but as I said the trade off is the grin factor when you nail it.

I'm still undecided as to which map to go for DS or CR. I have been reading quite a few of these 'clutch slip' threads recently and there do seem to be a few people getting clutch slip with the DS maps. However there are still a lot of people who can use all the maps on a standard clutch and have no problems whatsoever. I suppose the only way I am going to find out is to get either one....if I do get this clutch slip I can return to standard for a few months so I can save up for the RS clutch.

Actually looking at this thread , clutch slip can occur with any of the maps.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(magicone @ 30 Dec 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm still undecided as to which map to go for DS or CR. I have been reading quite a few of these 'clutch slip' threads recently and there do seem to be a few people getting clutch slip with the DS maps. However there are still a lot of people who can use all the maps on a standard clutch and have no problems whatsoever. I suppose the only way I am going to find out is to get either one....if I do get this clutch slip I can return to standard for a few months so I can save up for the RS clutch.

Actually looking at this thread , clutch slip can occur with any of the maps.

You should get the RS clutch and the Quaife ATB diff fitted before bothering with any maps! Without the diff you cant use the extra power anyway! All you get is wheelspin! Great for impressing your mates down the pub but useless for going fast!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Like its been said before its not the map its the clutch thats the problem, Ive had clutch slip with both DS and CR now the clutch has been replaced its all gone

Save your money and get the clutch done 1st.

·
Registered
82 Posts
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 31 Dec 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should get the RS clutch and the Quaife ATB diff fitted before bothering with any maps! Without the diff you cant use the extra power anyway! All you get is wheelspin! Great for impressing your mates down the pub but useless for going fast!

Im not really intending to go anything above 270bhp at this moment in time. I am sure as well there are plenty of people who are running DS/CR on the standard clutch and are getting no clutch slip at all. I will look into though, think Profile Automotive are doing the RS Clutch for £899 which seems like a decent price.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 31 Dec 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All bad workman blame their tools

·
1,285 Posts
I am getting clutch slip at 70mph in 6th gear. I am running DSCi map at the moment.

I don't get it anywhere else or in any other gear. Having read this, I am still slightly unclear if its the re-map or the clutch as all else seems fine.

Do I need to purchase a new clutch or is it just a matter of removing the DSCi??

Any advice (or a new RS clutch supplier in Essex!!) will be of HUGE help!!!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
You could try a different map like Mod B maybe? mine never slipped with this on but would straight away on DSCI

1 - 20 of 26 Posts