Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Upon taking the ST out today, I have excessive vibration at higher speeds and the dreaded knocking when turning left. Exactly the same issue and noise when the OE refurbed OS driveshaft gave up the ghost after 2500 miles. This set albeit J&R have lasted less than 3000 miles as well. This is the 4th set of you include the originals that have been on my car since I have had it!!

It is time to bite the bullet and either go for new or look at the Dreamscience S10 shafts. I appreciate that they are new and hardly anyone will of had experience with them, but does anyone have experience of the S9's and were they any good?

I like the look of these, as the car is going to get lowered again, when I can get round to sourcing the bits.

As always any feedback would be greatly appreciated 🙂

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,901 Posts
To be honest, if you have gone through 4 sets of shafts I'd be inclined to check for other issues. Is the suspension geometry correct? Has it ever been in an accident that has pushed something out of line? Are the engine/gearbox mounts ok?

·
Premium Member
Chris - Mk2 ST XRS
1,132 Posts
Which J&R shafts do you have fitted, the "uprated" ball bearing design ones? How did you find them compared to Ford refurbs pre failure?

No experience with the DS shafts but i'd be interested to know what if any warranty they offer on them.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gents,

@caprixpack, I investigated the possibility of this when the last set went on. The car was thoroughly examined and whilst the mounts were deemed to be in good condition and there was no sign of the car being in any form of accident, it was noted the the lowering spring on the NSF was still on the car despite me paying an old garage to replace all four! So thanks to the assistance of a member on here this was swapped out, car aligned and tracked within 3 days of replacing the driveshafts. I will however get this all checked again, when they are swapped out.

@snowblind, I am not sure how I feel about J&R if I am honest, yes they are the uprated ones and I have had 2 sets on the car, the first set lasted 6 months and I swapped them out for OEM refurbs after getting a knocking when turning left. I had no vibration through them, and the difference in price made them a worthwhile temporary solution. The second set had slight vibration between 60 to about 75 then went. These shafts are like marmite, you either hate them or love them. I am aware of a couple of people using them, and having no problems at all. The OEM refurbs lasted the least time of all, but I had no vibration at all with them. They had no knocking at all, but we're swapped out after failing the check from BD Performance. They showed me the play in them, and as the car was being rolling roaded the following week, I didnt want any issues.

I will be sending these ones back and getting replacements, that I will store in the garage. I have a perfect NS oem refurb driveshaft and need to get a OS oem refurb to make a set as well.

All shafts that have failed are the OS ones and as stated above I put the first 3 downs to the lowering spring on the NS. I do not use any power in gears 1 or 2, so it is not my style of driving.

I have ordered the DS S10 shafts and have arranged for them to be fitted when they get here, so I will report back. DS offers a 12 month warranty, and have heard a couple of horror stories with the S9 shafts, but the deciding factor was the DS customer service to put this right.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,288 Posts
Atleast with the S10 shafts its in the description about lowered cars and the option for a longer shaft so warranty wouldn't be a problem

Paul

·
Premium Member
Chris - Mk2 ST XRS
1,132 Posts
Look forward to hearing your feedback on them. I begrudge giving Dreamscience any more of my money after the service I received from them but if they're superior to the other options they may be the way to go.

I'm on my 3'rd N/S shaft and that's started making noises now but no vibration at least. Ford refurb shafts seem to have disappeared from ebay again so I was considering J&R just because they're a fraction of the price of other options.

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,634 Posts
I believe they were removed for the clicking noises they made and didn't seem great for road use, I think the CV joints were not as good as the shafts so probably not really worth the money considering its the joints that fail rather than the shaft and I don't mean to speak for Andy but he doesn't currently own an ST and I'm not sure he still frequents the forum much but I'm trying to convince him to get another each time we speak 😂

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
1,421 Posts
I believe they were removed for the clicking noises they made and didn't seem great for road use, I think the CV joints were not as good as the shafts so probably not really worth the money considering its the joints that fail rather than the shaft and I don't mean to speak for Andy but he doesn't currently own an ST and I'm not sure he still frequents the forum much but I'm trying to convince him to get another each time we speak 😂
I am also trying to convince him to partake in another st I send him any nice ones that come up 🤣🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,634 Posts
Thinking about it more and getting a few notifications to remind me I think they vibrated a bit...

I'm happy with my j&R's for the price.

I've been wondering if most people who have problems with j&R's have a boot split and don't notice before they get knackered. The boots are terrible. But mine have lasted the warranty period without being treated particularly nicely, and all shafts seem to be hit or miss when you look into them.

But I know a mechanic who didn't think much of the dream science shafts so won't ever consider forking out for them 😂

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Thinking about it more and getting a few notifications to remind me I think they vibrated a bit...

I'm happy with my j&R's for the price.

I've been wondering if most people who have problems with j&R's have a boot split and don't notice before they get knackered. The boots are terrible. But mine have lasted the warranty period without being treated particularly nicely, and all shafts seem to be hit or miss when you look into them.

But I know a mechanic who didn't think much of the dream science shafts so won't ever consider forking out for them 😂
I had the J&R shafts did nothing but vibrate , took them off after a couple of weeks and binned them , like new coming off , swapped them for OEM , it was great after that

·
Premium Member
Chris - Mk2 ST XRS
1,132 Posts
I had the J&R shafts did nothing but vibrate , took them off after a couple of weeks and binned them , like new coming off , swapped them for OEM , it was great after that
Which J&R shafts did you fit - the standard ones or the "uprated with inner ball bearing joint"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts