Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just paid to become an owner member, just waiting to be approved!

Anyway not sure if I maybe need to put this in the technical bit when approved but I'll know if it gets moved!

I am looking at getting a dreamscience remap but what are the differences between the one that comes with a handset and the one that just plugs into the computer. I understand the one that just uses the laptop is newer?

The reason I ask is I am looking at buying it used off ebay. I just got outbid last night on one at £330. It was the one with 5 maps on it and had one go left. I notice some of them say they have 5 goes left but when you buy them new don't they only have 2 goes to start with?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
There are only a few handsets which came with 2 lives from new. Most come with 5 lives brand new. The newest map (Mod X) is laptop based only right now but you can get all the other maps (Perf, Perf+, Race, Race+, DSci etc) on the handsets which is a simple plug and play set-up.

They pop up on here all the time but never hang around for long. Expect to pay around the £300 - £350 mark depending on how many lives are left on the handset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
please ignore my ignorance (also my full membership hasnt be actioned yet so no opportunity to search) but is each life on a Dreamscience relative to each car that it has been on. So for e.g. if a new unit had 5 lives and since then the unit has been used on 2 cars there would be only 3 lives left?

Also, is each map just standard i.e. not a specific map for each car? Surely this isnt an ideal way to run an ST with addition mods?

Is there not a bespoke live remap available?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(SmudgerST @ 19 Feb 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>please ignore my ignorance (also my full membership hasnt be actioned yet so no opportunity to search) but is each life on a Dreamscience relative to each car that it has been on. So for e.g. if a new unit had 5 lives and since then the unit has been used on 2 cars there would be only 3 lives left?

Also, is each map just standard i.e. not a specific map for each car? Surely this isnt an ideal way to run an ST with addition mods?

Is there not a bespoke live remap available?

Hi Smudger,

You are correct, the unit will lose a life for each car it is used on. It can be used (maps changed) as many times as you like on the same car and not lose a life.

I had similar thoughts to you in that the maps are just generic, however I understand most of them work fine with no other mods.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(LawwaST @ 19 Feb 2010, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are only a few handsets which came with 2 lives from new. Most come with 5 lives brand new. The newest map (Mod X) is laptop based only right now but you can get all the other maps (Perf, Perf+, Race, Race+, DSci etc) on the handsets which is a simple plug and play set-up.

They pop up on here all the time but never hang around for long. Expect to pay around the £300 - £350 mark depending on how many lives are left on the handset.

Thanks for the reply Lawwa,

As I am only interested in the 5 standard maps you mentioned is there any difference between the laptop based and the handset based system? Sorry if that sound like a stupid question given the maps are the same but I don't wanna waste loads of money on the handset based system if its way out of date.

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,488 Posts
Have been useing the handset for 3years now on 2 different
s, it totally changes the
,the hand set is the way most on here started modding and you get a lot for your money,as said 3/4 lives left expect to pay £250/£300 get one you won't regret it and you can resell it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.