Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
That is not entirely correct.

These ECUs record changes of software, so a dealer can ascertain when an ECU has been flashed in such a way.

It does seem however that Ford dealers do not bother to check these things thoroughly judging by the number of owners who have damaged their engines, maybe with poorly written software, removed that software and got their engine replaced.

When you consider this further you can see the problem of an owner who flatly denies any knowledge of any such changes that the dealer may confront him with. How can the dealer prove that the owner himself has done such a thing and indeed say the failure was down to the presense of that very 'foreign' software.

I understand that there is no central recording by Ford of all work carried out by their individual dealers, so there is no way that a dealer who discerns something fishy can check outside their own records. That is not the case with Volvo dealers who have to submit all records to a central register that can be accesses by all of them. So, when you consider the purchase of a used Volvo you can get, for free, a printout of that record from a UK dealer.

Regards, Don.

·
Dreamscience Flash
2,448 Posts
QUOTE(don kalmar union @ 18 Nov 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is not entirely correct.

These ECUs record changes of software, so a dealer can ascertain when an ECU has been flashed in such a way.

It does seem however that Ford dealers do not bother to check these things thoroughly judging by the number of owners who have damaged their engines, maybe with poorly written software, removed that software and got their engine replaced.

When you consider this further you can see the problem of an owner who flatly denies any knowledge of any such changes that the dealer may confront him with. How can the dealer prove that the owner himself has done such a thing and indeed say the failure was down to the presense of that very 'foreign' software.

I understand that there is no central recording by Ford of all work carried out by their individual dealers, so there is no way that a dealer who discerns something fishy can check outside their own records. That is not the case with Volvo dealers who have to submit all records to a central register that can be accesses by all of them. So, when you consider the purchase of a used Volvo you can get, for free, a printout of that record from a UK dealer.

Regards, Don.

Actually Don

You are quite correct but only when looking at the can logs of the vehicle can you tell if an ecu re-program session has been performed, however this also occurs during the Ford IDS update. Most handsets don't do a dtc clear after programming and therefore leave a D900 code which can be detected by a dealer.
The dreamscience series of products do perform a DTC clear at the end of programming so this code is never present. Also the IDS is not a canalyser so this cannot be used to detect a re-flash of any module and our engineers use the same SAE specification as the IDS for software download ensuring our flash is indistinguishable from the manufacturer.

If you would like to see what we do feel free to get in touch with Jared and we will arrange a visit.

All the best

Adam (C-Eng, PhD)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello
I have a question,
With the mapping stock, the car is completely standard?
Mine serial 266 hp. I have exhaust, Apexi filter and IC
Testing with a Megane R26, the difference was about 5 cars 50-220 km / h,
The switchboard would be, well managed changes? Right?

I say this because for example Revo, series no longer completely configuacion car with the stock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts