Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wohooooo i started fitting my new downpipe today after garage tried and couldnt do it!!!! got two bolts out and the third i snapped off the one on the underside so am now going to drill it out tomorrow !!! well happy that it was only one bolt snapped!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got to the top two bolts by removing the upper turbo pipe, heatshield on turbo and the windscreen wipers and tray etc which u can then easily undo those top two!!! the underside one i removed the under tray, lower turbo pipe and then tried undo that onewhich snapped off. It left a thread sticking out so i got the grinder in there cut it off level then filed it flat!! Then centre punched the bolt and drilled the bolt starting at a 2mm bit going all the way up to 7.5mm. I then re tapped the hole and fitted three 8mm studs with spring washers and penny washers and locknuts!!! Beutiful!!!!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I've always managed to get to all the bolts from below - the top 2 do need a coupe of combo spanners linking together to get a good grip plus decent leverage. You're lucky at least that the one to snap was the easiest to get access to. Just a thought did you not drill the hole too big for a decent 8mm thread? 6.75 or 6.8mm is the norm for 8mm threads.

My brother's an expert at drilling/grinding/extracting seized bolts with all the engine work he does but I'd hate to have to ask him to try and get one out on the turbo like you've fixed - shame it did seize like expected but sounds like you've jobbed it well

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Fair do's, no guarantee you could have chased those threads out proper with the remains of the old bolt still seized in, even if you'd managed to drill the hole perfectly central. Turbo off job for that i'd expect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts