Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to damage my offside wing mirror on the way home today on a fairly narrow country lane, thanks to some numpty coming the other way who drifted over the centre-line.

Fortunately the motor still works, and the blue plastic is fine. It's only the grey part of the trim that's damaged (see attached pic).

Is it easy to dismantle the mirror and replace this part? I've just had a £400 MoT so really don't want to give any more money to my local mechanics!

thanks
Danny

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Chris - Mk2 ST XRS
1,137 Posts
That's the body of the mirror that is damaged, you'll have to replace the whole thing and swap over the painted cover. A genuine second hand part shouldn't be expensive.

Mirror assembly unbolts from behind the tweeter cover - very easy job.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, yes this dawned on me just now while searching eBay - that only the coloured part of the trim is removable - the rest is part of the main mirror assembly. But thankfully there's a replacement part on eBay which even includes the performance blue cover for £25.

So, just to be sure, I don't even need to remove the door trim - just literally the tweeter cover? If so, after my MoT bill last week, that's music to my ears (if you'll forgive the pun)

cheers :)

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,190 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes this dawned on me just now while searching eBay - that only the coloured part of the trim is removable - the rest is part of the main mirror assembly. But thankfully there's a replacement part on eBay which even includes the performance blue cover for £25.

So, just to be sure, I don't even need to remove the door trim - just literally the tweeter cover? If so, after my MoT bill last week, that's music to my ears (if you'll forgive the pun)

cheers :)
Tweeter cover yep - hopefully there are some metal spring clips holding the cover on - try and keep those in situ if you can, makes it fit a lot better when you put the tweeter back on (mine are all missing and tape is in use)

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I had a similar issue with my nearside. The painted casing - eo colour - was fine but the body was too damaged. Ebay to get a wing mirror, and just swapped the covers over. Probably an hours job at the most.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Easy job to replace, just don't drop the mounting screws into the door as they are not easy to retreive...

...don't ask me how I know that. Bad memory of another easy job that suddenly got less easy!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So.....the mirror arrived, but straight away I noticed it looks slightly different to mine. I somehow failed to notice in the item description that it's for a pre-facelift Focus (05-08). Think I was still fuming when I got home the other night after the eventful drive home, and not thinking clearly. Not having a good week 😒

I did ask the seller if I could return it if I paid the postage, but he said unfortunately not unless it's faulty, which is fair doos I suppose. So I'll have to try and sell it on I guess.

One further question - is there anything different about the ST mirrors, or will any facelift Mk2 mirror suffice?

cheers
Danny

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
514 Posts
I'm not sure but are the PFL not foldable? and the FL are foldable? I'm sure if you put it on shpoke or ebay someone will snatch it up.

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,742 Posts
Also I think the FL mirrors are quite a bit bigger than the PFL ones as well if memory serves so you could fit it but you would look a bit lopsided!!!

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,144 Posts
Mirrors are so complicated nowadays with electric moving, heating element, electric folding and an indicator !

No wonder I just used a bit of black electrical tape for my small damage...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts