Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Hi all.

Over the past couple of weeks my drivers door has developed a tinny rattle sound coming from within. It happens from standstill to about 40MPH and then dissipates.

When the sound is present I can silence it by pressing my hand against the top of the door card (Where the leather bit is).

I called my Ford dealers (Peoples Ford) and they couldn't confirm whether it would be covered by warranty.

Does anyone have a "How to" or general guidance for removing and replacing door card? Whenever I've taken them off previously on my old cars I've never been able to get them back on properly

Any help as always would be appreciated.

Cheers

-- PLEASE SEE GUIDE BELOW -- Thanks

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
ive also got this,but also when the window is halfway down it rattles so it may be part of the mechanism come loose inside the car, maybe the same on yours?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There is an insert on the door handle. You remove this and then the screws this reveals. You then need to work your way around the door pulling out the push release studs. Please note you will almost definitely damage some of these so may be worth visiting your local dealer first to pick up some spares. I think there are 9 per door.

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips.

Maybe pushing it here a bit lol
but would you have any photos? I really want to make sure that I don't damage the door card at all as I'm PX'ing the car for a new ST soon

I think there's a loose cable behind the card that maybe needs taped or epoxy glued??

Cheers

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(smjohns @ 22 Jan 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is an insert on the door handle. You remove this and then the screws this reveals. You then need to work your way around the door pulling out the push release studs. Please note you will almost definitely damage some of these so may be worth visiting your local dealer first to pick up some spares. I think there are 9 per door.

PS You've defo got the best colour ST there

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hehe well it would be if I could keep the damn thing clean.

Sorry I don't have any photos but it is fairly straight forward once you have removed the handle cover (be careful with this as you can damage the edge of the cover if you use a bit too much screwdriver to remove). You then just work your way around the door card releasing each clip one at a time. I would start at the bottom of the door and work my way up to the window as I think you have to lift the whole thing slightly to release the top ones.

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, time to give this a try I think (If it's dry tomorrow) ha ha unlikely

Hopefully I can get this rattle sorted as it's really annoying
and spoiling the otherwise great drive

·
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Speedfreek @ 24 Jan 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any chance you could add spme pics when you have a go fella

Will do my best

Fingers crossed I can get a nice dry day to do it ha ha

·
Registered
552 Posts
I removed mine completely today.. lol if i knew about this thread would of got some pics.. got to take it off again anyway because I need to buy some replacement rubber/foam plugs that go behind there.

Had to take it out to change the drivers door glass.. always handy to get some of the spare clips behind there, because they seem to break easily.. mine still clipped back ok but I will order some tomorrow.

Also, it makes things easier if you remove the plastic panel behind the door mirror the black 1 first.. its in 2 parts, cover/speaker and back piece clipped to the door.
will probably need to anyway to get the panel off.

Also, if you want to get into the door... not as simple as just removing the doorcard lol.. theres a huge metal plate behind the doorcard that covers up the mechanical stuff and most of the wiring.. no access without removing that.

I didnt have to remove it, because ford put 2 convienient holes in it to undo the clamps that hold the glass... but to remove it you have to take all the window regulator module and electric window motor off first and some other bits and pieces.

·
2,791 Posts
Right all,

managed to remove the door card, fix the issue
and only 1 casualty of a broken support post
on the door card.

I've attached some photos showing you how I managed to get the door card off. Please note that this is only an amateurs attempt rough guide and I do not take responsibility for any damage caused to your door cards by following these notes

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
i had a rattle on mine and sorted it tonight, turns out the two screws/bolts holding it on uder the handle were abit loose, tightened them up and sorte

·
2,791 Posts
Oh yeah, before I starting taking the door to bits I took out the KAM fuse.

OMG, I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing but it really feels much faster
, I do drive my car quite hard but now there is a lot more in gear pull than before. I think I'll be taking it out at least once a month from now on

·
Registered
477 Posts
What a job I had trying to get mine back on. Im sure half of the clips arent in right. The bottom of the door card seems rather loose to me. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
What a job I had trying to get mine back on. Im sure half of the clips arent in right. The bottom of the door card seems rather loose to me. Any advice?
Head to the dealer and pick up some new clips. Remove the card, replace the clips and re-fit. Should sort you out a treat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Head to the dealer and pick up some new clips. Remove the card, replace the clips and re-fit. Should sort you out a treat.
I dont think there are any that are broken, just not clipped in properly. I think I might have to take the whole thing off and try again. I hate plastic clips, always manage to give me grief!!!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts