Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gok Wan
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I don't know what to do for power as I been looking for some more lol

I've been looking at turbo x but its a lot of money for 30 bhp

I've look at the rs turbo root and its not that much more to do and it 80 more bhp (and no I don't want the rs engine )

SO what I'm saying is what do you think (I like to here you view good and bad )

Thanks

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hi Anthony, you know yourself its not all BHP. I like turbo x because of the way it drives. I also think it gives the best value for money if your moving fromn a stage 3 setup. The only real way to compare is to drive one. Anyone in the area that could oblige?

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Sadly when chasing big power it also comes with big bills.

I swear the JS 400 monsters cost around the £8K mark due to the work / parts required .................................. need deep pockets or a few credit cards

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If I still had my ST, I think it would have been Turbo X by now.

Best Value for the power imo.

I would't go over 350 in an ST unless it was almost track spec. The RS can only just cope with 375.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Full suspension setup Ant?

Turbo X is about more than the peak HP figure, its about torque delivery and real world pace.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Arent collins bringing out a 340 map soon? Maybe that could be a way to go.
They are, but it wont be cheap as it needs quite a bit of the RS hardware to run properly. MAF, fuel pump, injectors + a few others I can't remember are maxxed out at CP320 so need to be uprated. Its a lot of money for a 20hp gain.

·
Gok Wan
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are, but it wont be cheap as it needs quite a bit of the RS hardware to run properly. MAF, fuel pump, injectors + a few others I can't remember are maxxed out at CP320 so need to be uprated. Its a lot of money for a 20hp gain.
I have all the rs airbox maf map so don't think iy will be much more money Just fitting and map

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
what to do ! i am in the same bout mate ! not got the money yet but dont know what rounte to take... very tempted to go rs turbo rounte jam sport block mod

dont want massive bhp just to run safe ! would be happy with 350 to 370 ish !

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I am biassed I know. But for me Turbo x offers the best value for money IMHO.

Just to reference what Tiny has said I think on track my car could easily cope with some additional horsepower / torque. Having said that I am more than happy with my setup. You know what its like though you always want a bit more...

For me its a no brainer 'Turbo X' all day long...

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
If I still had my ST, I think it would have been Turbo X by now.

Best Value for the power imo.

I would't go over 350 in an ST unless it was almost track spec. The RS can only just cope with 375.
With a good set up the ST could easily handle 500 bhp and i was sceptical that it could deal with 350 bhp!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There is a guy up here that has just had 420bhp squeezed out of his ST at Sitech by having a bigger turbo put on it, to a fashion he is sort of acting as a bit of a guinea pig i think to see if there is actually going to be any problems with it on standard internals and without having a block mod type fix for the liners.

It was pushing out 488ft/lbs of torque at 1.6 bar but was knocked back to 1.3 bar i think just to be safe, but the owner (obviously knowing the risks) seems quite happy with it.

But on top of the ModX setup he had before (with all the normal mods to support it), i am sure it cost around another £3K on top of what he had already had done (but its not a hybrid turbo that is being used admittedly).

Also he says his car is absolutely fine on the road and is perfectly driveable, in all fairness whilst i haven't seen it let alone drive it, there is nothing whatsoever to suggest that it wouldn't be fine for road use, it's all about where and how the power is developed and delivered that makes it useable or not, and as long as the boost isn't coming in one massive bang and at a point where you tend to be in the rev range when mid corner then i don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with 400bhp (plenty of people are doing fine with that, SimHopper for one) let alone 500bhp

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I'm in a similar position at the moment, running at 330 with pretty much every mod that can be done short of a different turbo.
I priced up the turbo X conversion where I need the turbo and map as I have everything else. It comes in at around 1500 pound inc fitting.

I think if I do go for more power it will be Turbo X. Not sure if I want to spend another 1500 at the moment though.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
But would that setup not be 95% set for track bias Fishy?

I do think that anything over 350 for road use is unuseable.
Our setup is track biased but the car still drives great on the road! What i would say is you need to be an experienced driver to drive it though! Give it to your average road driver who thinks they are Lewis Hamilton and they would be wrapped round a lamppost in no time! If you respect what you are in though its actually easier to drive than it was running ModX! You just need to be really careful with watching the speedo too as i find it hard to tell what gear im in now! It will pull as hard in top as it will in 4th! Even on track i find myself trying to change up from top gear!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You cant really go wrong with Turbo X 350bhp for road is enough not many things will be able to keep up with you. And for the money coming from stage 3 is not that much. For me its a win win sittuation. And goin the rs turbo route is way to much money by the time ur car is all set up with the money you would of spent to get it were you want it you might as wel went and broght an RS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts