Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Just wondered your thought on this question ????

I have a lovely 07 ST2 i brought the car for £7000 and spent approx £2500 on modding kit its probably running at 280 bhp although i totally love the ST and everything it does if i want big power i will still need to spend much more money on it to achieve this.

Although i may never spend as much in it as the amount a RS would cost , do any of you ever think instead of just throwing hundreds if not thousands of ££££ at the ST would it not be better just to save and buy the RS

Your thoughts please

Many thanks

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Thought it lots of times, but im well past the point of re-couping anything like what I have spent on my ST. Plus my ST is now individual and to my liking and tastes. If I started with an RS I would have to start spending 1000's all over again to make it individual. I dont want to drive something thats the same as everybody else. Also modifying is where 50% of the pleasure is (other 50% is driving it) so its part of the pleasure of ownership - just a pity it costs so much!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'd love an rs there amazing cars but the money it would cost me is rather out towards bricks and mortar!

I've not spent a great deal modifying my st but i hve a shoppig list as long as my arm! I love it for what it is and even now when it needs a new clutch I don't mind as something like an rs clutch can almost be considered maintenance!

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
My ST is looking the way I want it and although for some it has enough power at stage 3 for me it isn't but soon will be then I'll be more than happy with it.

Would I buy an RS? Yes but as already said I'd then have to spend again to make it look and go a lot quicker than standard it just seems pointless.

Once my ST is finished it will be quicker than an RS anyway

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I don't want an RS. They are too loud (looks wise) for my liking. I love my ST as it looks like a Zetec but with the power if and when I need it. My ST is running approx 300bhp which is enough for me.
Same here.

A RS on the drive would just draw far to much attention and wouldn't stay there for long before some scumbag took a liking to it.
Would rather have a ST with approx same power has a standard RS

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I've thought about it but firstly I wouldn't want an RS on my drive, would be worried about someone trying to break in to my house to steal keys.
Secondly I've also spent way too much money on my ST to go back, and it still stands me at less than an RS would. If I bought an RS I'd have to start modifying it as with standard power it would feel slow compared to what I have now so it would be more expense again.

All that said, in 4-5 years time I may look for a low mileage Mk2 RS.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
What I like about the ST is theres so much modding potential and you can get pretty big power but do it over a period of time and spread the cost. Plus people wouldnt expect the ST to be as quick as the RS, which i kinda like ! If I was going to spend RS money on a car, it probably wouldnt be on an RS as I think theres better cars out there for the money but just my opinion

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guy many thanks for all your opinions
It's very true 50 % of the pleasure is modding so you end up spending 20 grand and then continuing to mod it to your own taste

Also agree with the whole drive comment It would probably be just a matter of time before some one breaks Into your house and nicks it while your family are sleeping

And like many of you have said the whole wolf in sheeps clothing they can be just as fast as a RS without the ott looks

Many thanks for all your opinions guys

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
id buy an rs tomorrow if i had 10k lying around under the bed, if i was to buy one i would get one already modded and then put my own mark on it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Currently in the process of selling my ST to save for an RS.

There are so many pro's and con's and alot of them listed in this thread such as the attention they get not wanting to leave them on the drive and the fact they cost so much...

It used to be the case that you could buy and mod an ST up to RS power levels. Nowadays you can pick up 350+bhp low mileage RS's for less than 20k.
Imagine you bought an ST for £10k. How much would you need to spend to get it up to 350bhp plus you'd have to upgrade the suspension, brakes etc etc.

I dont think you would have much change from 20k. You might aswell buy the RS! Although alot of people like the idea that an ST with 350bhp is a sleeper. And i can see why

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I reckon i wouldnt be far off having enough money to buy an RS500 by now with the total amount of money ive spent on my beast...but i cant save!!

However, if i had saved up it would've taken nearly 3 years without a car to do so. Plus i wouldnt have had the balls to mod it...or drive it!

90% of the joy has been the modding

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Sounds like a lot of money for not too much power? What did you buy? I'm running 263BHP for the massive sum of £410. I'll be running 280-290 for another £600ish.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I reckon i wouldnt be far off having enough money to buy an RS500 by now with the total amount of money ive spent on my beast...but i cant save!!

However, if i had saved up it would've taken nearly 3 years without a car to do so. Plus i wouldnt have had the balls to mod it...or drive it!

90% of the joy has been the modding
Balls yeah right burger u got a right pair of ball on ya ! i i bett you would of put ya burgerness on a RS500

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,189 Posts
I'd love an RS, but who wouldn't? There on in is my issue, the undesired attention an RS woud get in comparison to my ST.

As I'm hardly slumming it in my ST I think I'll stick with it for a while.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i was running a 300+bhp ST (mod x) but ended up selling up and going wit a range rover sport (hated it) then part exd that to get my new RS and all i can say is the RS is a different animal to the ST all together. dont get me wrong i loved my ST but got sick of the wheels ighting up so much in the wet, but having only actualy had the RS in the dry for 2 days since crimbo, it out performs my ST 10 fold. and the road presence feels alot better.
if you are worried about having the RS on show lol buy a blue one

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Balls yeah right burger u got a right pair of ball on ya ! i i bett you would of put ya burgerness on a RS500
haha the thing is Lee the RS500 is as near perfection as i think you can get lol so i wouldnt want to change much...maybe a bit

You can modify an ST to partially replicate and indeed surpass an RS, but where do you go with an RS?
We all noticed at the Ford fair that 80% of the RS's on their stand looked the same, just a variation in colours, full stop

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
i was running a 300+bhp ST (mod x) but ended up selling up and going wit a range rover sport (hated it) then part exd that to get my new RS and all i can say is the RS is a different animal to the ST all together. dont get me wrong i loved my ST but got sick of the wheels ighting up so much in the wet, but having only actualy had the RS in the dry for 2 days since crimbo, it out performs my ST 10 fold. and the road presence feels alot better.
if you are worried about having the RS on show lol buy a blue one
Will probably have an RS one day but for now i'm enjoying the ST.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts