Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was following a diesel the other day and was mightily impressed by its overtaking prowess:
Yuk what was that!! Nailing it past a tractor with a maybe 50k box doing at best 30.

Not that I have much to add, just that I came from a 4cyl D4 V40 with P* running around 210bhp.

Loved that car and that engine, so smooth, yes it had the diesel dirge, with the volume turned up all I felt was the torque surge and enjoyed the lazy cruising a Diesel gives, such a relaxing daily commute with the beans for normal overtaking.

I disagree with Meerkat though 300hp is not to much through a well set-up 2wd chassis on tarmac... but I digress.

I now have a petrol ST and have seen my fuel consumption nearly double from 45 to 25, still early days so hope to see improvement.
What I do enjoy though is revving it out and enjoying how a petrol feels, not so much how the tank empties...

Dont get hung up on MPG though, test drive both see what you will be happy with both engines are great and as a long term ownership Id say both would be fairly equal in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Funny that I was looking at a Volvo v40 r design d4 seemed like a nice car just prefer the st focus especially the interior so got my heart set on one in the new year now .i currently drive a derv 2.0 165bhp Astra and it pulls well but no where near the fun my fn2 civic type r I had before hand .so the petrol head in me is saying enjoy the car and get a petrol and the other half is saying be sensilble and get the st derv desicions ha .my daily commute is80% motorway so the petrol shouldn't be to bad right!? lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm lucky if I get more than 41.0 mpg from my ST diesel driving 30% town and 70% motorway.

I don't exactly hang around but all the same I would expect more from a diesel, my previous one was doing more like 44 mpg.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm lucky if I get more than 41.0 mpg from my ST diesel driving 30% town and 70% motorway.

I don't exactly hang around but all the same I would expect more from a diesel, my previous one was doing more like 44 mpg.
I'd expect more than that mate, I get that doing 70% journeys less than 40mph and 30% motorway!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have recently got the STD and am rather impressed with the performance of the car. On average i would say i get about 40mpg. 25 mile round commute and lot of nightime driving. I agree with one of the other users that the 180bhp is perfect for the car. If i had gone with the petrol version then think i would of rather of paid the extra and went for the RS with awd. Think will be having some fune with my ST and then move up to the RS for my extra horses.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had both, currently still have the petrol ST.

Petrol ST is better in my opinion.

My STD, was doing around 47MPG, I can squeeze 40MPG when on a good long journey, being sensible (Leicester to Newcastle).

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've recorded every single litre and mile in my car on Fuelly.

Some tank averages have been quite high, others have been very low. On average I'm on 45.6mpg over 11 months and 13000 miles.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus-st-tdci/2017/daveyonthemove/531047

In the notes I keep track of what brand of fuel I used and what the on board computer (OBC) estimated my MPG to be for comparison.

I will add that I don't use my car to commute as I'm a 15 min walk from work, and I rarely do journeys below 6 miles. Most of this mileage is over long journeys, but rarely motorway miles as I find them boring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm currently driving 640 mile a week, 40% country road. I'm averaging 49, I've noticed though that the car likes to stay in 5th gear at 60 and does more mpg on average than staying at the same speed in 6th.

I only change to 6th when doing 70. Works well for me.

Petrol would be an extra £120 a month for me

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my first ford last year,had choice between golf mk7 gtd or focus st estate diesel and the focus was the better car.

I drive 100 mile a week to work and back and average over 50mpg on average.been on a long run to Cornwall in it too and it averaged 60mpg on that run

·
Registered
946 Posts
I bought my first ford last year,had choice between golf mk7 gtd or focus st estate diesel and the focus was the better car.

I drive 100 mile a week to work and back and average over 50mpg on average.been on a long run to Cornwall in it too and it averaged 60mpg on that run
If you don't mind me asking, what made you go for a diesel if you're only commuting 100 miles a week?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.