1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
owners

As part of the deal for buying my
i got the diamond brite thrown in. my question is can i still use wax/ polish on my car as i was told not to. Thought i should ask you lot because you cant always believe what the dealer tells you.

thanks alot

Tarpo

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I would imagine that polish would remove the diamond brite. Especially an aggressive one.

Wax should be OK though as it would sit on top of the diamond brite.

However, I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge will be along to answer you question. You will have noticed that I have moved this topic to the detailing section of the forum where it will come to the attention of the detailing experts.

Allan

·
Registered
675 Posts
You have to use the Diamond Brite wash and top-up glaze. Basically because its
and doesnt withstand any cleaning products stronger than their own. Supaguard etc is the same. If you use Autoglym SRP or a similar polish / wax it will remove the diamond brite. As will washing the car with anything other than the Diamondbrite wash treatment you get with the aftercare pack. Ive detailed a few cars last year where the owner had paid £350, not been provided with the aftercare pack, then continued to wash with turtlewax etc. The Paint sealant will have been washed away after 2-3 washes. Ive even heard sales patter "it hardens the paint and stops stone chips".

Most dealers say they will do it as part of the deal, because they either dont bother treating the car, or dont do it properly. The paint needs to be pre-cleaned properly, so there are no waxes, fallout, dirt etc. The whole process if done correctly wil take 4 hours or so. Not sure how much the charge usually but it will be in the region of £350. Some dealers are even cheaky enough to automatically include it in the OTR price. They did it with my wifes Fiat 500, whn i looked through the invoice, their it was, supagaurd £250. Cheaky

As long as you havent paid for it, I would worry about it. Your better off choosing your own cleaning products and maintaining it regularly yourself. If you want my opinion, tell them you dont want the Diamondbrite any more, then negociate the £250 (or whatever its going to cost them), off something else worth having

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too got this thrown in after some haggling (they wasnt coming down on the price and I wanted summat for free!)

Looking back its more trouble than its worth, mines panther black and a year after having it theres lots of small swirl marks on it, I'm betting on this being thanks to that scotchguard stuff. ( I use a mitt and am careful washing).

The only consolation is that at least the seats have been treated so should repel liquid for a while, but as for the paint, it aint worth having.

I'll be getting a DA polisher next to get rid of these swirls and putting some proper protection on it in the form of carnuba wax (P21s is my fave)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts