Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have started experiencing problems with my Denso Satnav system in my 2006 ST. When I start up in the morning the system issues a message confirming that no satnav disc is inserted. I have a genuine Ford/Jaguar disc installed and have checked this and it is clean an in perfect condition. The only way to resolve the issue is to eject and reinsert the disc and then the system comes back to life for the rest of the day (regardless of how many journeys or time between them - e.g. the car sits at my work for 8-9 hours, which is longer than it was sat outsite my house last night). It has now happened Saturday, yesterday and this morning and I wonder if the cold weather has something to do with this.

Either way, I am fearing that the DVD drive mechanism might be on the way out and have done some research and this is a replaceable / repairable part. My question is how I go about removing the drive so that a repair is possible? On the 2006 Focus, the drive is fitted to a drop down tray in the roof of the glovebox. There does not seem to be any obvious way of removing it?

Does anyone have any experience with this? or have a Haynes manual that describes the process for removing this piece of kit? I guess once I have worked out how the physical drive is freed from the drop down cage, then it is just a matter of unpluging it, repairing it and fitting in reverse.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Si

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah I have tried that so guess this might be a hardware issue. I contacted a pal on the mondeo forums who is a bit of an expert on this kit and the drive mechanism can fail over time. He has pointed me to an ebay seller who sells the mechanism from the US and I have found a Taiwanese company doing the same. The part will set me back around £150 including postage. The problem is that I need to remove the box to fit this. Alternatively I have found this company who will repair the drive for me. I am still faced with the issue of having to remove and refit the device myself.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Update:

Well my satnav system deteriorated in this cold weather. When the car was cold the satnav disc could not be read and even got to a point where it could not be ejected. As the drive mechanism was making some strange noises, I took the plunge and bought a new DVD drive mechanism from the ebay seller my pal referred me to, who also have their own website. Although based in Taiwan, they posted the item on Thursday and it arrived by DHL today. Cost £145 including shipping. Unfortunately I do not have any pics as I wanted to get it completed before it got dark....but the process is as follows:

1) Remove Satnav cover in glovebox and then remove the glovebox lining (7 screws, three hidden under flaps). Glovebox door remains where it is.
2) Lower the Satnav cage, remove the satnav disc (if possible) and remove the 4 torx screws (2 either side), which hold the drive in place.
3) Pull the drive forward and remove the two connectors - 1 Multi socket and 1 GPS aerial (The ETIS instructions mention removing the car battery negative first) but I didn't bother as my bonnet was covered with snow).
4) I then moved into the house with the drive and removed the three small screws holding the back top cover in place. I then lifted and moved this forward to release the top and front plastic panel.
5) The drive is mounted in the centre and is held in place by two screws at the front and two at the lower back (screws through the main PCB).
6) As you life the drive there is an interconnecting flat cable. I disconnected this on the bottom of the drive (in case I damaged the connector). It is just lifts and frees the flat cable.
7) With the drive removed you undo two more screws front and back to remove the mounting brackets.
8 ) I then fitted the mounting brackets to the new drive and inserted the cable before mounting the drive back in the satnav chassis.
9) Front panel and Lid go on in one and then the three screws.
10) Drive back in car I plugged in the cables and powered up. Inserted an older disc and the map came up instantly (PHEW). I then removed the dvd and shut down.
11) I pushed the drive back into the cage, making sure the two cables were not snagged or caught up (had two goes at this) and then secured it with the 4 torx screws.
12) Put everything else back in reverse of above and all done.

It took me about 1-1.5hrs and only a few minor scratches on the back of my hands (I am sure vehicle manufactures leave sharp edges on purpose).

Not sure what was wrong with the old mechanism but I have a feeling that the lubrication they use on these drives had obviously reached the end of it's life, which is why it was seizing in uber cold weather and worked again (albiet more noisily) when warmer. Glad it is all fixed now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts