Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Tardis is good, get some on there and let it soak in for a couple of minutes then rinse off. Might take a couple of goes if it's heavy. Then to make the wife super happy, a final wash off in the dishwasher, they LOVE it when you do that!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Are you serious? It'll remove some, but so will wheel cleaner.

Steel wool and soapy water followed by a steel or metal polish.

Does make me laugh some of the recommendations.
WTF? I regularly use a bit of tardis inside the tail pipes, works a treat. Toodle on and give it a go, let us know how
you think it is after you've tried it.

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
WTF? I regularly use a bit of tardis inside the tail pipes, works a treat. Toodle on and give it a go, let us know how
you think it is after you've tried it.
PMSL

Why would I want to try something again, when I already know wire wool and soapy water followed by Autosol is better?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Soapy water and wire wool, work that on really well.
Then Autosol or Peek. Like Tim said.

Tardis, like the name suggests, is for getting rid of tar and other sticky contaminents (rubber, etc).
There's not much of that on a tailpipe.

Most things will work to some extent, but elbow grease is what you need.

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
Soapy water and wire wool, work that on really well.
Then Autosol or Peek. Like Tim said.

Tardis, like the name suggests, is for getting rid of tar and other sticky contaminents (rubber, etc).
There's not much of that on a tailpipe.

Most things will work to some extent, but elbow grease is what you need.
Thank god, thought I was going mad for a minute. ;-)

There's also different grades to try so if one is a bit slow, you can increase the aggresiveness. Most use Fine (00), I prefer Medium (which is a 1 or a 2).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
A bucket full of hot water and shampoo and some fine wire wool
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/-00-wire-wool/prod_377.html

Although some people may suggest other products and ways but this is pretty much guaranteed.

As suggested you'll need to spend a while on each tip but you will get the results you want.

My only advice will be to not use a huge amount of pressure, just be patient with it.

Although the wool is fine grade, if you continually press too hard you will get some minor scratches.

I'd suggest doing this weekly. I do and can now just clean mine with a mitt,

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
As said, fine wire wool with soapy water followed by polishing with autosol/peek etc. if you don't think this works, look at my avatar.

Contrary to what many people will say, autosol is a polish and should be used AFTER you have cleaned the pipes (just to reignite that little gem

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
As said, fine wire wool with soapy water followed by polishing with autosol/peek etc. if you don't think this works, look at my avatar.

Contrary to what many people will say, autosol is a polish and should be used AFTER you have cleaned the pipes (just to reignite that little gem
I've tried cleaning mine to get them somewhere (anywhere!) near your Avatar and it's just not happening.

I've gone at them twice now, both times for 10-15mins on each tip and the fact they've never been cleaned before and the car is just turning 6 in the New Year, it means the carbon build up is just too much.

I guess I'll give it another going over while I have tome off over Christmas, but I am always jealous of your pipe
Alex!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've tried cleaning mine to get them somewhere (anywhere!) near your Avatar and it's just not happening.

I've gone at them twice now, both times for 10-15mins on each tip and the fact they've never been cleaned before and the car is just turning 6 in the New Year, it means the carbon build up is just too much.

I guess I'll give it another going over while I have tome off over Christmas, but I am always jealous of your pipe
Alex!
I just have strong arm muscles from, errr, practising the movement.....

It will come off eventually mate. Don't be scared pf using more abrasive wire wool (i'd draw the line at brillo pads).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts