Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need some advise about these as i have heard some bad things about them are these true or is it just me miss hearing things

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iv heard it throws a warning light up on the dash and some thing else cant remeber what that was now tho just remember it not being good

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
They do put up a warning light on the dash and your car will not pass an mot with one fitted.

There has also been some discussion as to whether they are street legal for insurance purposes, but plenty of people run them

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
It will throw the MIL warning light on the dash.

However, this is easily fixable with one of the remap handsets, and OBD port reader or a Scangauge. You can also buy "MIL light bypass" wiring to do it permanently.

The "problem" is that you will need to declare the modification to your insurer. A LOT of insurers just will not touch a decat as the car will not pass an emissions test (and is therefore not roadworthy) with one fitted.

I believe SOME people on here have managed to get a decat past their insurers, but not sure who.

If you do not declare it to your insurer, you run the risk of the insurer cancelling your policy in the event of a claim. i.e. you would still be insured for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act, but the insurer may seek to recover ALL their losses from you personally. Depending on the nature of the claim (e.g. accident involving loss of life) this could be phenomenally expensive.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mot is not a problem have connection and can just easly put the cat back in for it the only thing that puts me off is the MIL light think i might give it a miss and save some pennys for a sports cat

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
QUOTE(comp @ 22 Jan 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The mot is not a problem have connection and can just easly put the cat back in for it the only thing that puts me off is the MIL light think i might give it a miss and save some pennys for a sports cat

the MIL light is nothing to worry about sports cat very expensive
but probably better in the long run with reguards to insurance better to be safe than sorry,but i will add that u get lots off pops and bangs with a d-cat

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(kevin @ 22 Jan 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well ive got one and no lights come up but i suppose thats the code red chip doing its work

Nope its cos the bulb is bust lol

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(comp @ 22 Jan 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The mot is not a problem have connection and can just easly put the cat back in for it the only thing that puts me off is the MIL light think i might give it a miss and save some pennys for a sports cat

How much will it add to your insurance? Will they insure it?

Also you will fail a roadside test, if you are lucky they will simply give you a rectification notice, if they inspect and see the decat the car will be impounded, the fines are pretty healthy too, probably as healthy and the decat is unhealthy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts