Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the latest laws came into place around catalytic converters needing to be in place on cars post-93 (or whatever it was), a de-cat makes a focus st non road legal and therefore quite a few insurance companies who once insured de-cats are no longer willing to do so.

If you had your MOT pre-April 2012 with a de-cat it still could have passed and your MOT/insurance should still be valid however your next MOT it won't do. I gave my insurance company a ring (Elephant) as my renewal is up in a couple of months and asked what their stance is now and they said if the car isn't road legal after it's next MOT then they cannot insure it. It can continue to run the de-cat until the current MOT expires though.

So what are the de-cat friendly insurers (if they still exist)? By de-cat friendly I mean an insurer who would insure a de-cat'ed focus st with today's laws (i.e. a non road legal ST).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I know getting a sports/race cat is the sensibile things to do and if it continues this way I will do. It's just a lot cheaper to run a decat and the smiles it brings...oh how I'll miss it

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What do you mean by?!??! 'your car hasn't got a cat' well thats news to me Mr loss adjuster, where did my precious metals go, I bet you've nicked em haven't you Mr loss adjuster

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I would have thought any insurance company would be stupid to insure a car manufactured after August 1992 thats not got a cat! After all if you are involved in an accident that isnt your fault the other drivers insurance company could investigate your car, find it has a de-cat and then argue that as your car wasnt road legal you should not have been driving it so the responsibility for the accident would then be placed back on your plate and your insurance would have to pay out for both vehicles!

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
I would have thought any insurance company would be stupid to insure a car manufactured after August 1992 thats not got a cat! After all if you are involved in an accident that isnt your fault the other drivers insurance company could investigate your car, find it has a de-cat and then argue that as your car wasnt road legal you should not have been driving it so the responsibility for the accident would then be placed back on your plate and your insurance would have to pay out for both vehicles!
That's never going to be the case though. The same as if you'd parked on double yellows, it'd be their fault regardless

·
Registered
418 Posts
the way i see it i'd rather be safe than sorry. sport cats arent really that expensive so i wouldnt risk being uninsured with a de-cat

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'm with SkyInsurance (club sponsor) and have DECAT explicitly declared on my insurance certificate, didn't even cost any extra. I have recently contacted Greenlight regarding my renewal and they seem to be happy to do the same,

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I'm with SkyInsurance (club sponsor) and have DECAT explicitly declared on my insurance certificate, didn't even cost any extra. I have recently contacted Greenlight regarding my renewal and they seem to be happy to do the same,
See this thread and post 9 from Greenlight insurance

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/108539-de-cat-and-insurance-a-definitive-answer/#entry1179237

States they are going I stop covering De-Cats as well and even now they want a note from your MOT tester stating he car passed with a decat on.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
That's never going to be the case though. The same as if you'd parked on double yellows, it'd be their fault regardless
What about if you were driving without an MOT or tax? Or without having lights after dark? Your car might well pass an MOT without lights but if you were using it on the road in poor visibility would you be covered?

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
What about if you were driving without an MOT or tax? Or without having lights after dark? Your car might well pass an MOT without lights but if you were using it on the road in poor visibility would you be covered?
What's happening is insurers want to reduce claims. They are now recruiting ex-police/traffic officers who have been forced into retirement and know what to look for.

Where as before you'd have some bloke who didn't have a clue, now you've got people with many years experience looking over your wreck with the benefit they know the law.Your going to see alot more arguing in cases such as these, but in the case of lights which may be broken in an accident, who's to know. In the case of ilegal modifications or determining fault, that's where your going to see greater results.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
As much as I love my Decat compared to my 200cell Sportcat, I honestly think the authorities will start clamping down even more on this issue. To me the only answer is the 100cell sportcat to comply with the ever tightening regulations/restrictions in insurance and Vosa etc.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts