Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My ST has had a damp smell since I brought it, I just assumed it was where cars Matts had been cleaned, but passenger and drivers side matts are still damp to touch and my windows are steaming up way more than they should, any common issues that cause this?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I would check your pollen/cabin filter to see if it is wet or not seated right. Also door seals? Also is it just water or is there a smell of coolant to remove the chance of a heater matrix or pipework leak? Lastly if the Mk3's are like the Mk2's then a leak from the back end can find it's way to the front footwells as they are the lowest point of the car. Culprits could be the rear lights or I believe the Mk3 has vents behind the rear bumper ends that vent into the boot & water can find it's way in via them as well.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,553 Posts
The vents behind the back bumper are a very common leak point, google youtube for the fix.
Check your spare wheel well, if its leaking it will be like a swimming pool, this can then slop over into the rear foot well, not so sure about the front though.

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,335 Posts
Yeah as said , the rear vent seals under the rear bumper will be favourite, the water can eventually get to the front of the car, best thing to do tbh, will be remove the whole interior to dry it out, as the sound proofing under the carpet acts like a sponge, a wet vac will be very useful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rear vents are prone for it as or a bad door seal as stated above.
Also does the rear washer jets work, they sometimes split in the car .
Is it the genuine Car windscreen? If not it could be that not sealed correctly.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
is aircon drainage tube blocked? easy way to check is to look under the car with aircon running and see if you get a puddle,i had this with my mk3 and it was blocked and leaking inside onto the carpet,i thought it was the heater matrix at first but luckily it wasnt

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,335 Posts
To get rid of the smell, there’s an old traders trick, cut an onion in half and leave it in the car overnight, it will absorb the smell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts