Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recently bought an st 2. I've noticed today it has bit of moisture in the boot/carpet. Just wondering if anyone could possibly give me a clue where it could come from and how to sort it?
Long shot I know but I have only had the car a week dont want to start tearing things out that dont need to be.
Dale

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Recently bought an st 2. I've noticed today it has bit of moisture in the boot/carpet. Just wondering if anyone could possibly give me a clue where it could come from and how to sort it?
Long shot I know but I have only had the car a week dont want to start tearing things out that dont need to be.
Dale
Post some pics up

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,709 Posts
There could be many many places unfortunately. However I would start with the easy ones of the rubber boot seal. Then look to the lights & their cables entries. Does it only get wet after a session of rain or driving along a wet road as this can help point to something? Is the water just in the boot or have you got damp interior carpets as well? Water though can come in anywhere & then track to the lowest point via all sorts of cable runs, holes, channels & anything else!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There could be many many places unfortunately. However I would start with the easy ones of the rubber boot seal. Then look to the lights & their cables entries. Does it only get wet after a session of rain or driving along a wet road as this can help point to something? Is the water just in the boot or have you got damp interior carpets as well? Water though can come in anywhere & then track to the lowest point via all sorts of cable runs, holes, channels & anything else!
I'm going to hunt it out on my day off this, week and start off with the easy things like you say then just try tracking all. I've only noticed it on the right hand side on the boot floor. But I have noticed the previous owner has taken the plastic arch bit inside for some weird reason.

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,181 Posts
Both myself and another ST owner (not sure if he's a member on here) had leaks at the rear drivers side where the seam seal had cracked. If you can get some pics of where the carpet is wet though it maybe easier to tell.

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Had this on mine years ago, traced it to where the rear lights screw into the body, the small felt like/ rubber washers had perished, fitted new ones and it was sorted. But as said check your welds.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Also had a leak on mine, (this is a recurring pattern amongst the group lol)
Mine was under the roof strip, at back end next to the boot lid, the seam had split.
I do wonder if the split was caused by worn boot struts, as the boot is very heavy, and almost slammed when closed, but closes much better with new struts on.
But don't go pulling up the roof strip just yet, check the boot seal and the rubber grommets under the rear lights first as already mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
416 Posts
After searching on here i found 90% of the fixes was the screw holes on the rear lights, had it myself and mold came due to the snow leaking into the boot. got some gasket sealant from euro, removed lights and did a ring gasket around the screw holes of the lights. Has been very dry since.

As someone on here said, get two people, one in the boot with a light and have the other using a hose on the car and have the one in the boot check for the leak and where its coming from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts