Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi guys

After storing my ST for a year, it's back! :woohoo:

A friend of mine has kindly stored the car at the back of his garden. It has had a new, good quality cover on it and has been partly covered by a garage/out-house. I have started the car a couple of times over the past year, checked the oil & water and moved the car back & forth a few times to stop the brakes from seizing.

Now for the not-so-good news...

The paint-work on one side of the car has several patches where white spots have come up (possibly/probably water spots). They are very slightly raised to touch. I tried a quick wash and then polish...no difference. I then tried T-cut a few times on the same patch...the area is now smooth but the spots remain. :(

Any ideas guys on this? I've thought about a medium rubbing compound to completely get through the lacquer and take off the top-layer of paint but this is a last-resort before having to sand and paint.

A photo of one of the areas...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,610 Posts
You 100% sure the dots are a raised imperfection..?

That almost looks like its rubbed through to the primer which if it was covered is a possibility I think.

Are the worst areas on pronounced surfaces where the cover would have been contacting?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yeah, rubbed through to the primer. That's the problem with car covers, best to just wash the car and wax it/seal it before storage tbh. Unfortunately that's probably going to need paint and blending in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You 100% sure the dots are a raised imperfection..?

That almost looks like its rubbed through to the primer which if it was covered is a possibility I think.

Are the worst areas on pronounced surfaces where the cover would have been contacting?

Some areas are slightly raised, but most are smooth. The cover was pulled down fairly tight so the top rails would have touched, but it should have been the same both sides. Same for the passenger door in the photo...why one side and not the other?

I'll try the rubbing compound, but ultimately I think you're right and it's going to be a sand and paint job.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,135 Posts
Yeah, rubbed through to the primer. That's the problem with car covers, best to just wash the car and wax it/seal it before storage tbh. Unfortunately that's probably going to need paint and blending in.
^^

My uncle restores classic cars and had one in the same situation - stored under cover for a few years and looked pretty much the same. Ended up needing a respray (though to be honest he probably would have resprayed it anyway!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've had a chat with Ultimate Finish based at Brands Hatch and showed them the photo. They said that Ford paint is medium/hard and these spots are unlikely to have got all the way through to the primer (although it's possible). They believe it's gone through the clear-coat and is sitting on top of the paint which is why it feels slightly raised to touch. They are sending me a compound to use with a machine polisher (which a friend of mine has). If this doesn't work, respray it is. :(

I'll be giving it a go at the end of the month, I'll update then in case anyone else has a similar problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts