Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post so please go easy and excuse me if the answer to my problem is elsewhere in the forum!

A couple of weeks ago my ST developed a whining noise from the drivers side of the engine compartment and the engine warning light was on. I was a short journey away from home at the time so nursed it home to have a proper look. By the time i got home noise had dissapeared but after looking around the area the noise had been coming from i found a hose had split from the top of the oil filter assembly to the rocker cover. I got a new hose from ford and fitted it myself as its only connected by a jubilee clip however as soon as the hose was fitted the horrible whining noise started again. I had a read on this site and understand that the problem is most likely a burst oil filter diaphragm as the noise dissapears when you remove the oil filler cap. I put the car into ford on friday and suggested to them about the oil filter diaphragm and asked them to check the engine warning light. Car was in for a day and they claimed to have a diagnosed the problem as a "crank valve assembly" fault. They couldn't give me a price for the fix as there having problems getting the part in apparently.

Can anybody shed some light on this crank valve assembly fault? I assume there diagnosis has come from the fault code on the ECU.

I'll probably put the car back into ford once they give me a price but i'm wary that they may be barking up the wrong tree and that I'll still have a hefty bill to have the oil filter repaired afterwards

any help would be greatly apreciated

·
Vendor
2,676 Posts
I suspect that the dealers explanation of 'crank valve assembly fault' has got lost 'in the translation' somewhere.

I am certain that your diagnosis is probably correct and it is the dreaded diaphragm valve. We work on these all the time and not yet come across a 'crank valve assembly fault'

However it could be possible to describe the oil filter diaphragm valve as a 'crankcase breather valve assembly' in which case you are both singing off the same hymn sheet

I think this post should be in the technical problem area - maybe one of the nice moderators can move it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Wolfman, it wasn't the fellow who checked the car that i spoke to so you're probably correct!! It's even printed on the invoice as "Crank valve assembly" haha

anyway thanks for your help, hopefully have it running sweet as a nut again soon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts