Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all noticed my tyre was a bit flat yesterday so i topped it up. this morning same again!

so i jacked it up and had a look for nails etc, nothin but on the inside rim rite on the lip... CRACK!!!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

put the space saver on so not to
the tyre

can somthing like this be repaired? or do i need to fork out for another alloy?

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pot hole rite on the sweet spot i suppose

nothing iv managed to hit. so it must of been gradually gettin worse!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You've only had it week mate, that could have easily been missed when you bought it, I'd go back to the garage you bought it from tomorrow and not leave until I had new wheel coming

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've only had it week mate, that could have easily been missed when you bought it, I'd go back to the garage you bought it from tomorrow and not leave until I had new wheel coming
my thoughts exactly mate but the garage is a 3 hour drive! gonna call em tomorrow but there only gonna mug me off and say iv done it

not sure how i can play this 1

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
3 hour drive is a bit of a
, a 2nd hand wheel will probably cost the about the same as the fuel
they'll say they want to see it for sure though unfortunately

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Definitely play it back on them. They have to prove that it wasn't there at point of sale. You're unlikely to get a crack in the wheel from a pothole without blowing the tyre out first! I had a blow out about a month back but the alloy is fine.

To save you the trip, you could get them to agree to pay the bill to have it repaired/replaced. Get it in writing first though.

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
Tbf it's on the inside so could be missed. But interesting how it stayed inflated till now.

Have a look in the classifieds there were a couple of sets up for sale there. Alternatively look at a nice set of after market alloys.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tbf it's on the inside so could be missed. But interesting how it stayed inflated till now.

Have a look in the classifieds there were a couple of sets up for sale there. Alternatively look at a nice set of after market alloys.
it could of been slowly goin down as iv only had it a short time. i checked it with a pressure gauge the day after i topped it up thats how i noticed it was leaking (it looked oky) good job i did really.

no chance for after market ones yet, broke the bank to paying for the car

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
They can't exactly use the defence that you curbed it as there's no damage.

The reason it's cracked is because they're made out of magnesium. It's a very strong and ridig material, but is also very brittle. Going by the law of averages they'll be a few wheels not as good as others so yours has recieved a bump at a weak point and therefore split. Could've even happend under the stress of cornering.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i found a lad on here with a wheel handy so iv got somthing to fall back on if it comes to it

i will let you know how it goes tomorrow but iv got a feeling its gonna be like

1 - 20 of 42 Posts