Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a heavy night's drinking last night, I was in a 'constructive argument' with a young lady about all today's pop artists covering and subsequently ruining classic songs (too many to list). As I am mainly a rock/metal fan, we argued about this for ages (even at her place, but that's another story..........) As I'm hungover to death, I scrolled through my iPod and tried to find some decent cover songs. You may not like them, but I ask you to see if you know of any as well!

What I think are good (Some with links):

Fear Factory - Cars (originally by Gary Numan)

Fear Factory - I Will Follow (U2)

Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company (Bad Company)

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar (Dubliners/Thin Lizzy)

Metallica - Turn the Page (Bob Seger)

Drowning Pool - Rebel Yell (Billy Idol)

Orgy - Blue Monday (New Order)

Disturbed - Land of Confusion (Phil Collins/Genesis)

Nickelback - Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting (Elton John)

City of Fire - Rain (The Cult)

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I heard a horrific cover of Shout from Tears for Fears the other day

Off the top of my head I remember liking the cover U2 did of All along The Watchtower but can't think of many more I like right now. Give ti a few days and I'll probably realise which songs i regularly listen to are actually covers lol

Not familiar with many of those in your list David but Land of Confusion by Disturbed is a good'un

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
completly agree with you David, too many of these pop acts just cover songs and usually badly, purly becuase the focus is on the spectical (the asthetics) than musicianship. Take Ernie K Doe's "here come the girls" recently covered by the sugababes who murdered it. I personally think that nearly always the original is better with a few examples, the ones you listed being some of them but what about

Hendrix - Hey Joe (orginally a tim rose song)
Hendrix - All along the watch tower ( originally bob dylan song)
Hurt - Jonny Cash (orignally nine inch nails)
Cocain - Eric Clapton (not 100% but i think its JJ Cole the original)
Apocalyptica covers of some classic Metallica songs are superb
Guns n Roses - Live and let Die (orignally Paul McCartney)
Slightly different type of music but i love the Catherine Manoukian covers of Chopins Nocturnes on Violin (originally a piano pease)

thats all i can think of its hard becuase like i say the original is almost always better, i can think of hundreds of bad examples though, why is that always easier lol.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 23 Jan 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I heard a horrific cover of Shout from Tears for Fears the other day

Off the top of my head I remember liking the cover U2 did of All along The Watchtower but can't think of many more I like right now. Give ti a few days and I'll probably realise which songs i regularly listen to are actually covers lol

Not familiar with many of those in your list David but Land of Confusion by Disturbed is a good'un

Have you heard Disturbed's version of Shout? Pretty good if you like a heavy version of it!

The links next to them will show you the cover versions. The Fear Factory version of Cars really is better than the original - Gary Numan actually asked if he could guest on it he was that impressed!

I just hate it when pop bands cover songs and ruin them though - Leona Lewis' Snow Patrol cover was just wrong on so many levels.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Russeh @ 23 Jan 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>completly agree with you David, too many of these pop acts just cover songs and usually badly, purly becuase the focus is on the spectical (the asthetics) than musicianship. Take Ernie K Doe's "here come the girls" recently covered by the sugababes who murdered it. I personally think that nearly always the original is better with a few examples, the ones you listed being some of them but what about
Hendrix - Hey Joe (orginally a tim rose song)
Hendrix - All along the watch tower ( originally bob dylan song)
Hurt - Jonny Cash (orignally nine inch nails)
Cocain - Eric Clapton (not 100% but i think its JJ Cole the original)
Apocalyptica covers of some classic Metallica songs are superb
Guns n Roses - Live and let Die (orignally Paul McCartney)
Slightly different type of music but i love the Catherine Manoukian covers of Chopins Nocturnes on Violin (originally a piano pease)

thats all i can think of its hard becuase like i say the original is almost always better, i can think of hundreds of bad examples though, why is that always easier lol.

Saw Apocalytica live in Germany last year - brilliant band, very original. Forgot about Guns N Roses - that is a brilliant cover song!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 23 Jan 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I heard a horrific cover of Shout from Tears for Fears the other day

I know Disturbed done a cover of Shout and isn't the a very good version even though I am a big fan of them.

Disturbed - Shout (Tears for fears)

Disturbed - Fade to Black (Metallica)

Disturbed - Walk (Pantera) NSFW too much swearing and Pantera does a better version

Alien ant farm - Smooth criminal (Micheal Jackson)

Metallica has quite a few covers, too many to list but this is one of my favourites

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar'o
( The Dubliners)

Not too mention if you look up Enter Sandman you would be here all day listing them

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(David Fox @ 24 Jan 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Saw Apocalytica live in Germany last year - brilliant band, very original. Forgot about Guns N Roses - that is a brilliant cover song!

Apocalytica are amazing, its like a metal band but with chelos haha i've seen em a couple of times at donnington there fantastic.

QUOTE(Paulted @ 24 Jan 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know Disturbed done a cover of Shout and isn't the a very good version even though I am a big fan of them.

Disturbed - Shout (Tears for fears)

Disturbed - Fade to Black (Metallica)

Disturbed - Walk (Pantera) NSFW too much swearing and Pantera does a better version

Alien ant farm - Smooth criminal (Micheal Jackson)

Metallica has quite a few covers, too many to list but this is one of my favourites

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar'o
( The Dubliners)

Not too mention if you look up Enter Sandman you would be here all day listing them

i didnt release Disturbed have covered walk and fade to black, might have to get me a copy of those.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Ataris did a great cover of 'The Boys Of Summer' which was originally a Don Henley song.

Arctic Monkeys doing 'Love Machine' by Girls Aloud:

Natasha Bedingfield covering 'The Scientist' by Coldplay:

Jamie Cullum covering 'Frontin'' by Pharrell:
(this is ace)

Lemar covering 'I believe in a thing called love' by The Darkness:

Will Young covering 'Hey Ya' by Outkast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60oondKs6ck...feature=related

Keane covering 'With or without you' by U2:

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
The version of Shout wasn't that one by Disturbed, tho i didn't like that much either.

Funnily enough on a similar theme Mad World by Gary Jules was very good I thought, and being so recent who can forget Bohemian Rhapsody by The Muppets (minus Kermit)

Reckon it's the quality of the artist which brings it off rather than the song itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts