Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the relay is that controls the interior lights? I've had some random clicking under the dash recently and now this evening the lights won't go off on the delay when the car is locked. I suspect the relay has packed up, or the door switch. Anyone had problems with either of these bits?
Can you believe I can't find a single post on this problem.........
Cheers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
are you sure there even is a relay?

the fact the lights fade rather than go straight off isnt achievable with a relay, either on or off is achievable only with a relay usually... personally i thought they was controlled by the General Electrics Module, because theres even a power saving mode where if the light stays on and the battery drains below a certain level it cuts the power.

because it wont go off, my guess would be more likely dodgy door switch, its a magnetic type switch I think on the MK2 focus... as there doesnt seem to be any kind of mechanical switch.

cant remember now on the MK2, but on the MK2.5 facelift focus it shows up on the drivers display if any doors are showing as open, but i dont think the mk2 has that... so you cant even use that to tell if its a dodgy switch.

Relays are only normally used for switching high current applications, that require a direct battery feed.

such as,

heated front / rear screen
Main Beam
Dip Beam
Air conditioning compressor clutch
Heated Seats
Lambda Sensor Heater
Engine Cooling Fan
Starter Motor Solonoid (hence why you get a clicking when you have a flat battery)
Auxillary Heater
Glow Plugs
Fog Lights

Interior lights are quite a low current.. so i wouldnt of thought they would need a relay.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, you're right, it probably is a module rather than relay. I found the problem shorlty after I posted when I realised that the alarm wouldn't deadlock.......rear passenger door wasn't quite shut properly!

Something else occasionally rattles under the dash in that case....I'll put it down to plastic trim!

are you sure there even is a relay?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts