Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1218 Posts

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
If anyones interested in the daily stats, just came across them on the gov website.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

See "testing" and "cases" sections for details on the number of tests completed & and the number of cases. You can do the maths from there to work out % rates etc as you need.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The ons death data for the yr England and Wales isnt in for dec yet but it looks like theres going to be around an extra 40k deaths this yr (roughly)

The sad thing is, if this government could actually do anything propperly we would of stood a much better chance, ie closing tbe borders/making people have tests coming in etc. Were an island ffs!!!

There still behind now, boris was being quizzed on the new brazil varient last night and he had no answer. Just said were putting measures in place, when asked what measure.. no answer.

They knowingly sent people back to care homes, they wasted billions, wrecked the economy and future economy with kids education.

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
The ons death data for the yr England and Wales isnt in for dec yet but it looks like theres going to be around an extra 40k deaths this yr (roughly)

The sad thing is, if this government could actually do anything propperly we would of stood a much better chance, ie closing tbe borders/making people have tests coming in etc. Were an island ffs!!!

There still behind now, boris was being quizzed on the new brazil varient last night and he had no answer. Just said were putting measures in place, when asked what measure.. no answer.

They knowingly sent people back to care homes, they wasted billions, wrecked the economy and future economy with kids education.
I don't disagree that things could (and maybe should?) have been done differently and that by doing so the number of cases could have been reduced. However, we're looking at things with hindsight. With the knowledge that, the plans that were put in place maybe didn't quite do what was expected, or where other countries have done something which seemed to work a bit better.

The problem with hindsight is that you're making a decision based on different information to what was there at the time - and also with the knowledge that the plans put in place didn't quite work out as well as was expected.

I'm 100% sure (not that it'd ever be admitted) that the gov would do things differently if they could rewind back to March with the knowledge they have now. I'm sure that other countries would probably do things differently too.

As I said in my previous post this is a new thing. The gov is having to figure things out as they go - in the public eye. For example, they had to source billions and billions of items of PPE - in a short space of time, while the whole world is trying to source it for the cheapest possible price. You saw what happened in Tesco to toilet roll and pasta when the first lockdown struck... Is a similar principle.... The second and third lockdowns weren't quite as bad - as the supply chains were improved and the demand was somewhat expected.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
There's now a new Covid hospital admission every 30 seconds !

37,000 patients currently - the highest all pandemic !

Plus 100,000 NHS staff off sick with it, or self-isolating !

I hope this is as bad as it gets. :(

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
There's now a new Covid hospital admission every 30 seconds !

37,000 patients currently - the highest all pandemic !

Plus 100,000 NHS staff off sick with it, or self-isolating !

I hope this is as bad as it gets. :(
There does appear to be a downturn in infections and with people getting jabbed up, so there is something to be optimistic about.

If we all do our bit and act selflessly then better times will come.

Sadly there will always be a hardcore (fuelled by the mistaken belief that their behaviour stems from their ability to "think for themselves") who will continue to do whatever they want regardless.

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
One Year On...
Had an interesting chat with the Sainsburys delivery driver yesterday... Until recently we really struggled to get a delivery slot unless we booked 10-14 days in advance (and even then choice was limited). The last 2 times we've tried no issues getting a slot 2 days ahead and plenty of slots available. His comments were that there's been a drop in demand - now that kids are back at school more people are going back into the shops.

Totally makes sense - but I thought the "stay at home" order was still in place until the 28th March? Despite kids being back at school etc rule of 6 etc doesn't kick in til next week. Not that people around here seem to have grasped that concept.....

But then, large numbers have been vaccinated now and they're immune to the virus so screw the rest of the people who are still waiting for theirs right...? Double figure deaths a day - Covid has gone away... Issues in Europe, their problem not ours. (Sarcasm there btw)

<edit> wow this was my 1000'th post.... Should have saved it for something car related... </edit>

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
Thread revival I know, but seemed like the best place to stick some comments / a mini rant...

While I understand the new India variant is "of concern" all the evidence thus far is that it causes no more severe disease than the Kent variant, it just transmits more readily and is becoming the dominant strain the in UK. This makes sense - it's exactly what happened with the Kent variant. While I'm not a scientist, it also figures that being more transmissible can't make it more deadly - otherwise the virus would run out of people to infect. It's likely this strain will become the dominant strain around the world (as Kent did in most places) as it's more transmissible. There's also evidence that vaccination is effective against this variant (especially after 2 doses).

The UK has also just eased restrictions massively (hugging is back on the cards) which would, in itself lead to an increase in transmissions of Covid. (As I've said before, the virus spreads by close contact - so remove that you reduce the chance of spread). I for one was expecting to see an increase in Covid cases post the easing of restrictions in May as people interact more - both closer and indoors where transmission is increased. While the timing of the Indian variant is unfortunate, why does everyone seem surprised that Covid cases are on the increase?

It feels very much like we're back into panic stations again with the media hyping up the increase in cases. Surely - this is what everyone was expecting to happen? How is this any sort of a surprise - OMG people can mix again and covid cases are going up - WOW didn't see that coming.....

Still remains to be seen if this translates into an increase in admissions/deaths - and especially interesting will be to see what % of those vaccinated fall into those categories - a lot of the reports I've seen suggest that the % of vaccinated people being hospitalised is small. Again if this turns out to be the case, why is everyone panicking? This is _exactly_ what Dr Whitty et al said would happen - decoupling of positive cases from deaths once the vaccine kicks in.

Struggling to find any data which shows the relevant % of Kent vs Indian variants of Covid. From some snippets I recall seeing posted, Kent was dropping and Indian was increasing - kinda what you'd expect with a change in dominant strains no???

I'm not convinced a removal of social distancing (& mask wearing??) in June is sensible - and never was to be frank - should have waited until EVERYONE had received their first dose + a few weeks to ensure there's some level of protection across the board. There certainly feels like a lot of scaremongering going on at the moment over the new variant - where there's a very good chance we'd have seen an increase in cases anyway as restrictions are reduced -

especially among those not vaccinated...

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,190 ·
oh yeah , its not gone away and the people who think it as , are kidding themselves.

Yep , weve got to try to get on with life and return to some form of normality , but id sooner have my health - than a burger!! - 2nd jab on saturday.

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st and a retro Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,699 Posts
oh yeah , its not gone away and the people who think it as , are kidding themselves.
Yep , weve got to try to get on with life and return to some form of normality , but id sooner have my health - than a burger!! - 2nd jab on saturday.
It's madness, all the hotels, b&bs, guest houses and holiday lets are fully booked around my way. The amount of camper vans and caravans on the road is unbelievable, I went to Asda the other day for the weekly shop and there must have been a dozen or so camper vans and caravans (not gypos either) taking up a huge section of the car park.

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st and a retro Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,699 Posts

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
Went to visit my folks in Cornwall over the weekend (haven't seen them since Sept 2020 and my GF/her daughter since Dec 2019). Traffic was mental all the way down - which we expected. Around Bristol was gridlocked but it was worse the day after! Never seen so many cars heading into the county - roads were busy even at gone midnight. Beaches were the same - with people dumping cars by the side of the (already narrow) roads. Same went for Heligan when we visited, booked our slots etc and even the overflow car park had overflowed! Parents had never seen so many people - and that includes "normal summers" and we're only at May half term - summer hols will likely be worse!

It's certainly good for the UK economy to have some stay-cations - but with huge swathes of people who would usually go abroad descending on a few spots in the UK it's going to be busy that's for sure! As long as people have respect for where they are (and respect for others - Covid isn't over yet for a LOT of people) then it'll all be good. A lot (especially under 40s) won't have had their second jab by the Summer hols - so there's plenty of people around with reduced protection still!

At least the UK is ahead of other countries vaccination wise which is a saving grace!

·
Registered
2017 ST-3
6 Posts
especially among those not vaccinated...
I don't understand the obsession with this vaccine. It doesn't prevent you being infected and doesn't prevent you passing it on to someone else if you do get it. It has the potential to reduce the effects of the virus on the individual, just like the flu vaccine but since it doesn't affect any third party, why are people so excited about others being jabbed?

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
I don't understand the obsession with this vaccine. It doesn't prevent you being infected and doesn't prevent you passing it on to someone else if you do get it. It has the potential to reduce the effects of the virus on the individual, just like the flu vaccine but since it doesn't affect any third party, why are people so excited about others being jabbed?
It reduces the chance of serious illness and also reduces the chance of passing the virus on. If another person has the jab then there's further reduction in the chances they'll suffer if you have Covid and aren't aware. It's good that other have had it as the risks to them are reduced too - I'm not the sort of person who thinks f**k everyone else I have some protection and I couldn't care less whether you do or not. (not saying that's what you think btw....)

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,439 Posts
Talking of toilet, I read there was likely to be a big Norovirus surge this Autumn.

·
Premium Member
Paul Mk3.5 st3
2,254 Posts
Tell that to my head its banging,never felt like this before.how on earth can having two jabs reduce the chance of passing it on? Give it a month well be back in lockdown

1181 - 1200 of 1218 Posts