Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1161 - 1180 of 1218 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
On the higher positive tests due to more testing query...

They actually do random sample testing and THIS shows the big rises too. They then multiply it up to give the 2% of the population figure with Covid.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Was listening to lbc on the way home they were talking to one of the doctors involved with the vaccine. They asked if boris goal of 13.9million people vacinated by early march is attainable.

He said while the mass vaccination centres are coming on line its still a big ask, they currently vaccinate 300,000 pee week, to attain 13.9m they need to do 300,000 per day.

The presenter asked, why are they not ready to dish these out mass scale, its not like they didnt know it was coming....

My question though is this.

They want to vaccinate the highest risk people, 300k ler day that surely means ques at some point in all this, the highest risk people being out and about getting a vaccine that take 10plus days to offer any immunity. Before waiting 12w to now get tbe top up. There saying 5p% effective with one dose,

So in saying that the 13.9m only 7m will be protected???

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,759 Posts
...My question though is this.

They want to vaccinate the highest risk people, 300k ler day that surely means ques at some point in all this, the highest risk people being out and about getting a vaccine that take 10plus days to offer any immunity. Before waiting 12w to now get tbe top up. There saying 5p% effective with one dose,

So in saying that the 13.9m only 7m will be protected???
I believe the vaccinations are ~89% effective after one dose and ~95% after two. So that's 89% effective for each person inoculated - it doesn't mean 11% have no protection.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Been reading all these comments about 'idiots' who break the rules and are causing all the problems (and not denying there are plenty) but then turn on the news at any given time, and someone is getting clapped out of hospital as a hero for surviving the virus. Now with all the cases rising exponentially (the new buzz word) I take it none of the 'heroes' who survive have been 'idiots' for getting the virus? After all, if they were all abiding by the rules, how did they catch it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
just have a google of the contracts handed out over ppe and you will see how wastefull they have been , were talking millions to anyone...

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,575 Posts
Government contracts are always wasteful...

But then that's probably just because they'll pay.. I guess it's like insurance repair work costing more than private repair work. Only I reckon the insurance companies know that there talking about a bit more

·
Registered
350 Posts
yeah, but thats a false statement

i work in a bodshop,

the systems we use mainly audatex are drived off actal times to do the job, in theory there what we should be paid, sadly joe public are tight and dont want to pay

so if i want to fit a new wing to a focus it gives:

4hrs strip and build

6hrs for prep and paint

£180 paint and materials

wing £200

total of £900

would you pay £900 out of your pocket to have a wing fitted, my customers wont.

the times are taken from thatchem ( or used to be) they would time how long it took to strip various parts off a brand new car.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Im just my wife and I both have jobs that probably wont close it doors because of COVID. My wife works in a nursing home and Im a courier driver. But then on the other hand we both are probably more at risk of contacting it my wife more so than me. I was a taxi driver for 15 years and had a stroke and lost my taxi license the December before coronavirus hit. At the time it was very difficult but now I cant help thinking in a way it was stroke of luck (pardon the pun) imagine I was still trying to work a taxi in these times. I will never go back to that job again.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The WHO now say the new variant of Covid is 75% more transmissable than the original.

The NHS is now at capacity plus 46,000 staff are off sick with it. Care home staff are also down 40% with Covid.

I dont see any way to control it now but a draconian lockdown enforced by law or military.

If not things are going to get totally horrendous for months.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stuff that.

We have a vaccine, get the army to sort that bit.

Infact give it Amazon to deliver, they have better organization skills than the entire government

·
Premium Member
Paul Mk3.5 st3
2,254 Posts
The vaccine bit worries me, say they vaccinate 2 thirds of the population most of these people will then go about there business thinking I'm fine I can now do pretty much what I want,but the virus hasn't gone anywhere they can still spread it . This surely puts the remaining people at a huge risk i certainly wouldn't want to be last on the list lol

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
The vaccine roll out regarding Oxford and Pfizer ...yeah I don't believe any of it till I see real evidence, it's all here say on the radio and TV till then .

All I can say is some people must have a lot of time on their hands noticing things ..
My motto as I said before ..Don't worry about what someone else is doing ..just look after yourself and do what you can to help your families .
There's a Girl who lives near me ...even though it's a National lockdown she's still having people go round .."mates" and associates etc. Way I see it ? ..She will soon get her come uppance one way or another ..Grassing her up just makes you no better than her so just let it roll ..karma will soon catch up .

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,575 Posts
@Mart1976 the problem with that and this virus is she will likely be fine. Her mates will be fine. But they'll help keep the spread going during the lockdown so it can keep on going...

Which for most people is fine, hopefully the last to be vaccinated will be the people who don't worry about it because I'm theory they'll be fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
See heres my massive bug bear with this vaccine, forget about who should and shouldn't be sheilding etc

You give someone the vaccine-

They no longer see symptoms but can still carry and spread

How is this different from someone who is asymptomatic walikg round and spreading it?

The under 60 are a very very low risk, under 50 even more,

Protect the ones who need it, the rest of us will wander round, may of already had it, not sure......

But just think back over the years. How many of us have had or know someone with a cold they couldn't shake, a cough that just wouldn't go away or a sore throat. For 90% this is just what covid is.

If they had created a media storm over the yrs with normal flu, making people so scared evertime someone coughs or sneezes.

Amazes me how theres no flu around atm becasue of social distancing and sanitizer, yet covid is rife.

Yes its real, yes its killing people. But i just dont trust the data collection and the way its all round about, like the justification for 28days of dying from covid. If someone dies with flu is it written on the death certificate 28days from having flu? I dont know?

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
The vaccine bit worries me, say they vaccinate 2 thirds of the population most of these people will then go about there business thinking I'm fine I can now do pretty much what I want,but the virus hasn't gone anywhere they can still spread it . This surely puts the remaining people at a huge risk i certainly wouldn't want to be last on the list lol
Yep and the fact it takes a period of time before the immunity builds up. This is why it makes most sense to vaccinate the ones the virus can do real damage to first - they're likely to be more cautious anyway - rather than giving it to the scrotes who believe it's all one big wind up.

"Normal" people are unlikely to get a vaccination this side of summer - so hopefully there's less complacency there in terms of people thinking they're immune and can't spread the virus post vaccination. No doubt there will be some of that creeping in though.

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,107 Posts
See heres my massive bug bear with this vaccine, forget about who should and shouldn't be sheilding etc

You give someone the vaccine-

They no longer see symptoms but can still carry and spread

How is this different from someone who is asymptomatic walikg round and spreading it?

The under 60 are a very very low risk, under 50 even more,

Protect the ones who need it, the rest of us will wander round, may of already had it, not sure......

But just think back over the years. How many of us have had or know someone with a cold they couldn't shake, a cough that just wouldn't go away or a sore throat. For 90% this is just what covid is.

If they had created a media storm over the yrs with normal flu, making people so scared evertime someone coughs or sneezes.

Amazes me how theres no flu around atm becasue of social distancing and sanitizer, yet covid is rife.

Yes its real, yes its killing people. But i just dont trust the data collection and the way its all round about, like the justification for 28days of dying from covid. If someone dies with flu is it written on the death certificate 28days from having flu? I dont know?
The thing is, seasonal Flu has been around for a LONG time. There are yearly vaccination programmes (starting earlier in the season) and hospitals are geared up for an increase in patients over the winter (not just for Flu, but for falls etc etc). While resources are stretched (insert comment here about under funding, years of neglect etc etc) Flu is pretty well known and understood. Plenty of people die or are hospitalised for it but vaccinations do help. It's accepted that people will die from the Flu - it's just a macabre fact of life.

If people get Flu, they stay at home (mostly cos, if you have Flu you don't want to do much else!). It's "accepted" that people will get it - if you have symptoms you stay at home. They don't go out and get a test. But covid does spread a lot more easily that Flu (smaller particles etc so remains in the air longer) - so the chance of spread is higher. I'm not sure whether you can have Flu and be asymptomatic which could also be a big difference in terms of how the two are transmitted. But you raise a good point - IF (I've not seen any figures so please share if you have them) rates of Flu are down which can be attributed to social distancing and lockdowns - that surely shows how much more easily Covid is to spread that Flu is?

Covid is new. Not a lot is known about it. Treatments are coming on stream slowly as are vaccines. Scientific and medical understanding of Covid is being carried out in the internet age. Where everyone thinks they have the right to know everything all of the time, where information and disinformation is freely available. Where testing figures are available - and where people hold the government accountable to publishing figures. If the gov didn't post daily updates on Covid (as I doubt they do with Flu) there would be uproar...

As has been said, it's likely Covid will go on to become similar to seasonal Flu. In 10 years time, it'll be "baked in" to our lives - winter Flu and Covid jabs given and - while cases of Covid are still higher than Flu, it's the "new norm". Treatments will be better, it's behaviour will be known and hospitals will be better equipped to deal with outbreaks.

You have to remember the entire world has dealt with this in the public eye. Where it's easy to compare one country to another and say well ABC did XYZ and their cases are lower - why don't we do that? Where some countries over report cases and others under report. Who knows what the actual story is until excess death rates can be compared in a few years time.

Covid has been around for just over a year now - it's still not fully understood. But we have a vaccine, treatments are getting better - but, for all the will in the world this stuff takes time. Until there are better treatments, vaccines etc etc the ONLY thing people can do is stop the spread of the virus. There's no other weapon in the arsenal to fight against it.

1161 - 1180 of 1218 Posts