Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks ive had a smell of coolant. Ihave kept an eye on the level and it has not dropped and there is no sign of a water leak in the engine bay or damp carpets in the cabin. Also the engine oil has not increased. The engine also has a slight stammer when on idle (bit like a misfire) I have replaced the plugs with RS items and when the car has been in ford they say there is no calibration issues or stored DTC's
The engine has been like this since i have bought it in September 09 with 7500mls (now 12500)
Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome, even if this is the norm for the ST. I just hope its nothing major like the cylinder liners

Chris

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I'm guessing that you can smell the screen wash. If you go around corners with a full washer bottle you will smell the screen wash for reasons i can't remember right now
. There are afew posts about this so try a quick search and see what comes up

As for the engine the ST lump does run very lumpy and you will be able to feel this up through your seat

As Wolfman has said pop it to him and he'll sort you out

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(wolfman @ 23 Jan 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Let us know if we can be of any help - We can take a quick look at it to put your mind at rest - we are only up the road in stockport

that would be spot on, i was talking to Tommo ST (mat) and he said if i had any problems to give you and him a shout

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Gardener @ 23 Jan 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm guessing that you can smell the screen wash. If you go around corners with a full washer bottle you will smell the screen wash for reasons i can't remember right now
. There are afew posts about this so try a quick search and see what comes up

As for the engine the ST lump does run very lumpy and you will be able to feel this up through your seat

As Wolfman has said pop it to him and he'll sort you out

ill give the car a thorough clean when im back in work to eliminate any rouge screen wash

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(morty1970 @ 23 Jan 2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lumpy idle is normal...apparently an 'engineered' characteristic.

I get a slight coolant smell after a run but I would say its normal.

HTH

Nick

i find that total Ford BS
thats like someting Vauxhall out with

Just been out again for an hour and got no smell but i cant say ive driven it hard

·
Registered
323 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 23 Jan 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm guessing that you can smell the screen wash. If you go around corners with a full washer bottle you will smell the screen wash for reasons i can't remember right now

This is 1 of the washer bottle leak problems - under the wiper arm scuttle panel is the overflow pipe from the washer bottle, this is at the same height as the filler top and when going around corners a syphon effect happens which leaks the fluid out of the top rubber pipe. Extending the pipe helps
Fill your bottle to the brim and have a long drive taking in the twisties but don't use the washers. When you get home check the washer bottle to see if the level has dropped

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(robbyvrs @ 23 Jan 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is 1 of the washer bottle leak problems - under the wiper arm scuttle panel is the overflow pipe from the washer bottle, this is at the same height as the filler top and when going around corners a syphon effect happens which leaks the fluid out of the top rubber pipe. Extending the pipe helps
Fill your bottle to the brim and have a long drive taking in the twisties but don't use the washers. When you get home check the washer bottle to see if the level has dropped

I shall also give that a try

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.