Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
morning all,

Just seeing if anyone knows about consumer rights... Basically, my fiance got a brand new Fiat 500 back in November. Since she has had it, it keeps misting up on the inside and a lot of moisture gets in the car. When its cold, like it was this morning, she has to spend an extra 10minutes or so before leaving for work to de ice the car.... on the inside...!

Its gone back to Fiat 3 times, and going back again next Monday. They keep saying that they have fixed the problem, but they clealry havent. The last time it went in they stripped the car out, found a grommet missing from the floor (apparently), put one in, dried the car out and gave it back.

I can handle the windows misting up, but it gets to the stage where the blowers arent doing anything and a puddle forms on the window. Due to the blowers not doing anything, it makes the car quite dangerous to drive as you cant see anything.

So... I have heard that if a product keeps going wrong for the same problem and they cant fix it 3 or more times, you are entitled to hand the product back and get your money back. Does anyone know if this is true?
And has anyone had any problems that sound like this? - Its getting beyond a joke now, and in my view, the car is not fit for purpose

Adam

·
Registered
557 Posts
morning all,

Just seeing if anyone knows about consumer rights... Basically, my fiance got a brand new Fiat 500 back in November. Since she has had it, it keeps misting up on the inside and a lot of moisture gets in the car. When its cold, like it was this morning, she has to spend an extra 10minutes or so before leaving for work to de ice the car.... on the inside...!

Its gone back to Fiat 3 times, and going back again next Monday. They keep saying that they have fixed the problem, but they clealry havent. The last time it went in they stripped the car out, found a grommet missing from the floor (apparently), put one in, dried the car out and gave it back.

I can handle the windows misting up, but it gets to the stage where the blowers arent doing anything and a puddle forms on the window. Due to the blowers not doing anything, it makes the car quite dangerous to drive as you cant see anything.

So... I have heard that if a product keeps going wrong for the same problem and they cant fix it 3 or more times, you are entitled to hand the product back and get your money back. Does anyone know if this is true?
And has anyone had any problems that sound like this? - Its getting beyond a joke now, and in my view, the car is not fit for purpose

Adam
Call Consumer Direct, they helped me when I had a problem with my ST.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Consumer Direct/CAB
They know the basics which often is worth little in practice.

In view of your experience I would however contact the finance company (if on HP) and write a letter to the dealer rejecting the vehicle, detail the fault and the danger this is causing and state the vehicle is obviously faulty and not of merchantable quality. They have attempted to rectify the issue but to no avail. In view of the sam eyou must reject the vehicle. Then turn up on Saturday and leave them with the car and all the keys. Send a copy to FIAT UK.

You can keep using the car if you really must but leaving them with the carwiht all keys elimitates any issue as to if you realy are rejecting the vehicle and so is usually better

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
2 Options for you,

Run a hose pipe over the car, and see if you can find the leak yourself. Pay special attention to the ariel, door edges and window seals.

Book it into a different dealership, see if they can find the fault.

Failing that, ring the dealerships (or regional) service manager, and explain the situation. If he's no help, ask for the MD or Dealer principal / owner, If he doesnt help, ring Fiat customer service.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fiat customer service and the dealer principle are your best options.

If i remember correctly they have 3 attempts to repair the same fault on the car before you can back it. This is a resonable amount of time to repair the same fault on the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies,

I had an argument with the service dept... It turns out they have lied to us and havent done any of the work they have told us they have done.

I spoke to the manager there and my speaking to him was the first time he had heard about the problem.

They have now striped the car and found a puddle of water in the drivers side footwell. They are trying to find where its coming from, but they think they have a good idea

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
What dealer fit options are ou going to ask for as compensation for them lying to you and spoiling the first few months of ownerwhip of a brand new car (remind them you are a car enthusiast and so having a car is not just a case of coing form A to B but social etc.

I had an issue when our lassses CTR was late (because they forgot to order it) they lent us a little run about but I still got £1500 of extras off them for loss of use

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there arent any extra's on the car... she didnt want them anyway but the salesman was :censored: and didnt offer any.
They have the car until Friday coming up as they think they can fix it before then, I think we should try to swing a few extra's free of charge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts