Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This year my car has been suffering serious condensation on the windscreen and the rear window. When we had the cold weather it actually frosted once. I have had a windscreen replacement last year so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it? Is there anything I can do to help sort/prevent this? Any tips & tricks?

Thanks guys,

Liam

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,605 Posts
Do you infer that it only started doing it after the windscreen was replaced in which case one of the ventilation ducts may have become blocked. Do you feel a good air flow?
Is it actually occurring when you are driving, or when the car has been parked for a while? If the former, it is pretty essential to use the A/C in order to keep humidity low, and for the latter, it may be pointing to water in the cabin i.e. wet carpets.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate. It only really happens this time of the year but last winter was nowhere near as bad as this year. Air ducts? The ones pointing at the windscreen? Don't think they're blocked, airflow seems fine. I have to admit, I don't have the 2 front ones open at all, just the far ones pointing at the windows. It's an odd one, car don't smell damp.

Only happens when the cars been sat for a while, I have the A/C on and the temperature half way and after 5 or so minutes, it clears but it's really wet.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Have a quick check on the boot floor under the carpet to see if it is damp. Sometimes a little rain can seep in through the tailgate hinges or the light clusters and collect there.
If it is damp it will cause your issues with condensation.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,605 Posts
Definitely worth checking everything is dry inside but I would say that the
is one of those cars that needs the A/C working when external humidity is very high.
Warm air alone just doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys. Andy, I use the A/C to clear the windows before & after work.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Cheers guys. Andy, I use the A/C to clear the windows before & after work.
I find in this cold, wet (and actually humid) weather that if I don't use the a/c they just steam up straight away. I pretty much leave it on all the time.
It's good for the system as well to be regularly used.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Our lasses seems worse this year than last and we always have the aircon on all the time (I am paranoid about not having it on and it messing up the seals etc), I have cleaned the windows just to make sure it is not something on the windows causing it.

I am wondering if it is all due to the weather conditions etc. but am considering a aircon regas as has not been done in 5 years of ownership

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
It's because of all the wet weather we've had and moisture hanging in the air. Because it's still cold the water won't evapourate off. I haven't found a massive problem though. Just have the front and rear demisters on and the temp turned right up on the blower. Can't say I've noticed it being any worse tbh.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If its particularly wet and I would guess there is a source of dampness inside the car! (or a bad seal somewhere that is letting nighttime damp air into the car)

Times I have seen this - leaving something damp in the car, carpets being damp from a leak in the door seal, sleeping in the car (not the ST), someone breaking in during the night and finding a smashed window in the morning

·
Registered
96 Posts
Absolutely -- cleared the car up in no time. I'm recharging them today in the microwave, so it looks as though they last about two months. They're in the car permanently, mind, down in the passenger footwell.
Mine will be in there about a month this time...I was just gonna chuck it on the radiator for a day or 2, although I did read about the microwave method. How well does it dry it out & how long did you cook it for?

I had meant to weigh it before I put it in but forgot (OK - maybe a bit sad, but I figured it'd be interesting to see how much water it sucks up!). I'll do it when I take it out instead.

Mine's on the dashboard as I'm not planning to drive with it in the car. I don't have a specific problem, but as it's getting so little use at the moment I wanted to avoid any potential humidity problems.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mine will be in there about a month this time...I was just gonna chuck it on the radiator for a day or 2, although I did read about the microwave method. How well does it dry it out & how long did you cook it for?

I had meant to weigh it before I put it in but forgot (OK - maybe a bit sad, but I figured it'd be interesting to see how much water it sucks up!). I'll do it when I take it out instead.

Mine's on the dashboard as I'm not planning to drive with it in the car. I don't have a specific problem, but as it's getting so little use at the moment I wanted to avoid any potential humidity problems.
The radiator is fine, but the microwave is a bit quicker. I popped mine in for about six minutes then left it to cool before placing it back in the car.

I was going to arrange a group buy on them, but have noticed that they are on sale direct from the supplier at just £8.50 with free shipping.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Check to make sure the passenger footwell is dry. If you're still struggling. Try sticking some silica gel tabs in the car. They'll draw the moisture out of anything

1 - 20 of 28 Posts