Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anybody have an understanding of legal business issues regarding computers, and network Maintenance? having a problem with 1 of my customers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry its a really long post.

heres the background info first,

when in college, I got roped into helping somebody else maintain a business network for a company they knew of.

I helped out maintaining it, then they left, and I continued on with it.
So there was no contracts involved.

I then setup my own business so I could invoice them for the work, the network worked as well as could be expected.. apart from the occasional problems that any network suffers from.

They only have 8 computers so its not a huge network eigther.

Anyway I maintained it to the best I could, I responded to support calls within a reasonable amount of time, and fixed problems over the internet or over the phone.. if the problem couldnt be fixed over the phone.. then I attended on site the same day where possible.. even if it meant a 500 mile return trip within a day... or if I couldnt do that.. I attended the next morning at 6am so it could be resolved before open of business at 9am.

I couldnt even take holidays off in case something went wrong. They called me up during unsociable hours.. anything from 6:30am, to 10:30pm at night... weekends and bankholidays.

Then before christmas.. they had a hard drive failure that caused disruption, I fixed that and setup a data mirror..and I might add no data was lost... then 4 weeks later due to a driver issue it went down again.

At which point they turned around and said to me they wanted to find somebody else.. and made it very clear.

So with that I gave my 30 days (4 weeks) notice and said I would end support on the 31st December 2009 at midnight... and no longer support their computers as of the 1st January 2010.

Which was plenty of time for them to respond and say whether I was still required.. ask me to solve any problems, or pass on any information.

I then sent a confirmation email on the 28th December 2009 requesting final confirmation regarding a termination of my support.. to which I had no response.

So at midnight on the 31st December 2009 I removed all of their computers from my remote access account.. as If anything went wrong I didnt want to be held responsible as I had no further reason to access their computers. 1 side affect of that was 1 of their remote access users also lost access to the system, but it wasnt an intentional act, and I later told them they would have to setup their own remote access account.

Then when they returned to work in the new year.. they started having problems.. and they hadnt found anybody to replace me and started complaining to me about them.. and asking for documentatino on how to carry out all the tasks on the network... I declined to provide the "how to guides" as thats my intelectual property and ive had to learn that knowledge through experience.

But I did send accross a document with usernames, passwords, IP address configurations, machine names, mapped drives and what folders they map to. which is enough information for somebody to use to take over.

But they wasnt satisfied with that.. and now they are still continually having problems.. such as users accessing their system.. and are dragging up past problems and holding me responsible, and blaming me for loss of earnings and stuff... because they are now having problems and im not resolving/helping them.. which is because after several emails asking for confirmation and 4 weeks notice I no longer provide the support for their network. Thing is as well.. they are complaining to me as well about problems that were never my responsibility to sort out in the first place.. as they have another company who provide and support their till software... and another company who provide and support their web software.

I even sent a further email offering to continue support.. which i had no response to.

So where do I stand?

Their latest actions/reponses/goings on is what I wrote above.

just concerned that they will get to a point where they will try taking me to court or something over it...

now heres the current update on the situation,

now getting sick and tired of this.. the customer is now coming back with emails with comments like this,

"I was creating a Sehlbach file to import into sage when I accidently lightly kicked the processor. It shut down and I lost a lot of my work. I was emailing you the other day the thing crashed and I lost that too, that was another 30 or so minutes of my time wasted. To me that points out a loose connection. "

That only started happening after he vacuumed the machine out.

Previous to that it was rebooting itself.... now it "shuts off".. and it only did it after he messed around with it.

I said to them id be willing to buy the machine back at the current used value so they can replace it with another machine from Dell or somebody.. ive not said they cant send it to me for warranty repair... so I cant be more reasonable than that about it.. considering it only started doing this after he vacuumed it out.. it went from rebooting (without a bluescreen) so presumebly dust was causing it to over heat (very dusty office).. to now just shutting off... 2 different problems.
normally computers suddenly shut off when something electrical shorts out.

"Since you left xxxxxxx has been unable to work, that is also unacceptable, if the system had been working properly then she should have been able to work seamlessly. When I look back she has ALWAYS had problems, and I have wasted time trying to calm her down, "

during the 4 weeks notice I gave, I was not instructed to sort out that particular problem, the user loosing access was a side effect of me removing their computers from my support account with logmein at midnight on the 31st December 2009.. but I did tell them afterwards that they would have to setup a new account of their own and explain why the user lost access. I only done that because for obvious reasons I had no further reason to access their computers.. and If i have no access I cannot be accused of sabotaging the network, data theft etc...
To which they have done absolutely nothing about themselves to get that user reconnected on a new account of their own... if they dont know how to set that up.. I dont see how its my responsibility any longer. I even sent a further email, asking if they wanted me to resume support... to which I had no response.

The user has also always had problems because of their own stupidness in some respects.

like I sent an access link accross.. it was incorrectly forwarded, and instead of coming up with a box for a username and password.. like it always does.. it was coming up asking for an email address and password.. into which the user was trying to enter their windows username.

The user had also other problems with logmein being slow due to their internet connection speed.

And whenever they changed their password.. they was mistyping it, so the result was when they next tried to login it was saying incorrect password.

Again.. dont really see how those problems can be accounted as being down to me, another 1 of their staff uses logmein pro all the time with no problems.. and all of my remote support was done via logmein and I had no problems at all..

but this user having problems tends to blow things out of proportion, like 1 problem and she will kick off in an arguement about it for a couple of hours... even if its a 5 minute fix.

"The shortcuts to the server have disappeared from my desktop, the problem is when things go wrong it takes ages for it to get back to how it was before ( such as my outlook). We have to work this causing delays getting out the special offers, we have lost customer lists etc. I needed a stable emailing solution for my customers, this should have been set upo properly a long time ago."

Shortcuts disappearing from their desktop since I stopped my support.. again dont see how thats my problem... same with their email, I never specifically told them to use "outlook express" they provided the email solution via easily before i even started.. all i ever did was setup the account in outlook.. if hes lost customer lists then surely thats his problem for not backing it up in the first place? or accidently deleting it... certainly wasnt down to me not backing things up because they suffered a hard drive failure and I still didnt loose anything, because everything in regards to files were backed up, although technically thats not my problem because im not a full time on site support technician.. if you got a 3rd party company in they wouldnt log in consistantly to monitor backups and take them.

"When I question you about all these things I don't seem to get a straight answer, but it is not you who is having to put in extra hours to catch up on the work. I really do not think you appreciate the disruption it causes. "

Its not so much I dont give a straight answer.. they just dont always understand what the problem is, or because I need to protect my interlectual rights I dont give a 100% step by step account of how I solved the problem.. I think that comment is them sulking at the fact I wouldnt release further documentation.

"xxxxxxx is back from xxxxxxxx tomorrow, I will listen to what he has to say. He did say before he left that we shouldn't be having these problems. "

That person is the husband of somebody who works there, and he works in a corporate environment where they have teams of full time engineers and banks of servers for redundancy.. and hes telling them things arent right because they get these small problems cropping up all over the place.. they get exagerated because they dont understand why or what the problem is.

So him tied in with that other women who sent the email last time is just creating a tonne of hastle and trouble for me... im sick and tired of these emails and being blamed...I wasnt under a contract.. and I voluntarily got involved.. they was free to get rid of me at any point, but didnt and now ive walked out after giving them 4 weeks notice.. im getting all this rubbish.

If any of this is actually my fault or responsibility please tell me, because if it is im not going to decline responsibility.. just to me it seems like in the 4 weeks they didnt bother to get anybody to replace me.. and now they are having loads of problems and nobody to fix its affecting their business so they are trying to lay the blame onto me.

I really could do without all this hastle, just want to put it behind me and get on with going forward.. ive been self employed now for a couple of years, i work on my own.. but havent had the time to properly develop my business.. as I was continually focused on "being available" should a problem arise on their computer network.. and being sufficiently near to a computer all the time that I was in a position to fix it.. I couldnt even take a holiday because I was worried about their computers going down.. and ive been in that position since I left college.. continually tied down by their network... and in that time ive been maintaining it they hadnt complained 1ce...until before christmas when unfortunately it went down 2 times within a month.. and they exploited that and tried to make out they was having continual problems.. even though they was but it wasnt always to do with the network itself.. several times a week I would get calls like.. printer wont print.. which might just be the printer queue stuck.. or.. in sage wrong printer is showing up as default.. which arent even problems with the network.

which was 1 reason why I was fed up, and after they turned around and said "we have to find somebody else".. and they did indeed make that very clear, 1 person after he had a go at me and lost his rag, and the other person who said,

"More and more of the work is computer based and we could expect an engineer within say 6 hours. I know you got here in that time, but we capould yell and stamp our feet a bit if you know what I mean, if the system was not working. "

So if that doesnt "imply" they want somebody else.. I dont know what does.. so I took that as an opportunity and then gave them my 4 weeks notice before walking out, which I purposely ended on the 31st December 2009 at midnight. Because I saw it as.. new year.. new start.. and was hoping to just completely wash my hands of it all and finally be able to take a break from things, and spend more time developing my business and getting extra work.. hasnt been a great year anyway because of the economy in general.

Which ive been trying to do now, and instead im getting all this hastle, and its heading more and more towards them getting to a point where they will try and threaten me with legal action or something. Which I really dont want or have the time or money for.

They even had a go at me for not answering my phone to them on several occasions.. or never being available on the phone.

but the reason for that is.. previously I "Needed" to be... now I dont so why should I be obliged to answer the phone out of hours? or even carry it around? its my business number so I just leave the phone in the car alot of the time now which is why when they call I dont answer... But ive still replied to most of their emails. Also most of the time now im actually on site somewhere and cant answer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope that info helps... just completely sick and tired of this.. its bordering harassment.

annoying thing is.. they have constant problems like maybe their print queue will lock up, or the default printer in sage is wrong.. maybe even, something as trivial as a missing desktop shortcut.

and they try to say those are all problems with the network... and before you know it the whole thing is blown out of proportion.

Then they get frustrated now because their machine keeps shutting off (which it only started doing since he vacuumed it out)... and all of a sudden its the machine I supplied being really unreliable.. and because of that hes wasting time and loosing work.

But as said previously, I did offer to buy the machine back.. and they are free to send it to me for repair.

but instead its like they are using it as ammo against me.

What really annoyed me 1 day last year was how 7:30 in the morning.. they couldnt get through to me on my mobile.. so then they rang my own personal landline number... I didnt even give them that number.

They did the same thing the other day again on my personal landline number, and the phone was accidently picked up, and the guy just started having a go at me about how it wasnt good enough.. and how their person cant log in remotely and how they didnt get rid of me.. I walked out.. so I said well you made it quite clear you wanted to find somebody else.. to which he didnt comment on. just wasnt good enough.. id been up almost all night working on a project for another customer.. then to be woken up in the morning to somebody having a go at you isnt on.

was more interested in saying by removing their computers from my remote support account I did it to intentionally stop somebody logging in to work remotely and even tried to say it was intentional sabotage (which is the exact reason why i disconnected my access in the first place.. so I couldnt be accused of that kind of thing at a later date.. seeming i had no reason to log on)

And that id just stitched them up.

and listening to them.. if you dont know my story and how I see it.. or any of the details like I did give 4 weeks notice.. i would attend 6am in the morning, or same day even if it meant a 500mile round trip etc... they put forward this really convincing argument its all my fault... especially when 2 people who only know half the story are saying how things arent right.. based on what they are saying.. and they go on about how the ntwork constantly has problems and is unreliable.. it really doesnt look good on me

when the truth is.. some of those problems might only be as stupid as the print queue locking up, or the wrong default printer in sage.. a missing shortcut from the desktop, which really arent even proper network issues.

so what im concerned about is.. them taking that argument to a solicitor or something.. and the solicitor turning around saying how I was completely useless and wasnt providing an adequate service.. and because of that they are experiencing a loss of money... and that they have a case to sue me for damages or something.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wow - that was a hell of a read :lol

1) Do you operate as a limited company or under the protection of an umberella company & do you have Professional Indemnity Insurance.

2) Have you invoiced them monthly for contracted support or have you invoiced them on an adhoc basis for work they have requested you come in and do?

I assume that you have no signed contracts pertaining to the work you were expected to carry out, SLAs, out of hours availability etc??
So do they have any emails from you where you discuss agreements in principal to provide agreed levels of support etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi, no, im a sole trader.
Originally I took on this job voluntarily when in college as somebody asked them to help them out.... then they left.. and I got lumbered with it.

So no contracted support, no signed contracts, SLAs or details on out of hours availability, as I was in college at the time, and I ended up with the job through somebody else.. I wasnt contacted directly by them to take on the job, and they never sent me emails discussing agreements and certain levels of support.

Then because of the fact I needed to invoice them, I had to setup as a sole trader.. and thats how I ended up self employed.
And the support was based solely on the basis.. whenever they had a problem they contacted me via email, messenger or phone... and expected it to be sorted out within a reasonable amount of time.. and usually if for any reason i couldnt they would complain about it.. so I usually pretty promptly resolved problems. If I couldnt remotely.. then id tell them id have to come on site and fix it which they agreed to because they wanted the problem sorted out, that would be done same day where possible.. or next day 6am onsite.

When the network went down before christmas on the 2 occasions.. I offered to drop the invoice for the inconvienience caused.. but they told me to send 1 in anyway because they didnt want me to be out of pocket for my time, so then I just invoiced them essentially for the on-site visits I made during the time their server went down and i came in to repair it..... and usually id just invoice them when I had something to invoice for..like on site visits... wasnt actually charging them anything alot of the time for the actual support if done over the phone or remotely.. and i did stipulate that on the invoices... What I was charging for was carrying out installations, be it hardware/software.. or coming on site, to cover my own costs.. ot setting things up//upgrading software etc.

only reason I didnt charge for the support was because it was something carried over from college, and I felt obliged to continue the support, and was on good terms with them at the time anyway, and felt that if i carried it on I could also use it as a reference for future work... and I was charging them a small amount for installations, software upgrades etc and was earning money from repairing computers for other people etc anyway. So I cant be accused of not trying to be reasonable to them.. when i was barely even charging them anythin... 1 time it was about 7 months between invoices.. as i didnt have a huge great deal to invoice for... and even then i only invoiced for their websit work i did so it wasnt even related to their computers.

So bearing in mind the service I was actually offering, and the fact that they was barely if anything being charged for the bare actusl support anyway.. I dont think ive been un-reasonable at all.. and now im getting all this hastle when all I want to do is closer the door on it.. walk away and use the extra time now to develop my business further..

Even if there are no agreed times of availiability laid out.. surely its not deemed acceptable to call somebody up at 7:30 in the morning on thei own personal land line number when you never specifically gave it to them?

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Hi RB2004

As above really, if you're operating as a limited company i believe you're obligated to take out professional indemnity insurance so if they do take legal action you're cover. However from what you've said above i dont think it will ever come to that not without some kind of agreement in place (SLA).

I run a small business myself (web development) and i've experienced situations like this, its really not a great place to be. It sounds like you still feel some responsablity for there problems, however you cannot hold yourself accountable for end users incompetence. When you get really draw into it like this you become blinded by it and it stops you making objective descisions. I'd take a step back, and you need to put some distance between you and this customer, dont reply to emails so soon and let them leave a voice mail if there going to call you and you can get back to them in your own time.

The fact is they terminated your services in decmeber so its clearly no longer your issue, i'd point that out to them next time they call. Its there problem now! i know you've looked after it for a while but try not to forget that, its really not your problem now.

one last thing, there are a lot of buisness owners who like to stretch there ego when it comes to things like this, threating you with legal action is just them posturing

Regards

Russ

Eidit: if you want to talk pm me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(RB2004 @ 16 Jan 2010, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, no, im a sole trader.
Originally I took on this job voluntarily when in college as somebody asked them to help them out.... then they left.. and I got lumbered with it.

So no contracted support, no signed contracts, SLAs or details on out of hours availability, as I was in college at the time, and I ended up with the job through somebody else.. I wasnt contacted directly by them to take on the job, and they never sent me emails discussing agreements and certain levels of support.

Then because of the fact I needed to invoice them, I had to setup as a sole trader.. and thats how I ended up self employed.
And the support was based solely on the basis.. whenever they had a problem they contacted me via email, messenger or phone... and expected it to be sorted out within a reasonable amount of time.. and usually if for any reason i couldnt they would complain about it.. so I usually pretty promptly resolved problems. If I couldnt remotely.. then id tell them id have to come on site and fix it which they agreed to because they wanted the problem sorted out, that would be done same day where possible.. or next day 6am onsite.

When the network went down before christmas on the 2 occasions.. I offered to drop the invoice for the inconvienience caused.. but they told me to send 1 in anyway because they didnt want me to be out of pocket for my time, so then I just invoiced them essentially for the on-site visits I made during the time their server went down and i came in to repair it..... and usually id just invoice them when I had something to invoice for..like on site visits... wasnt actually charging them anything alot of the time for the actual support if done over the phone or remotely.. and i did stipulate that on the invoices... What I was charging for was carrying out installations, be it hardware/software.. or coming on site, to cover my own costs.. ot setting things up//upgrading software etc.

only reason I didnt charge for the support was because it was something carried over from college, and I felt obliged to continue the support, and was on good terms with them at the time anyway, and felt that if i carried it on I could also use it as a reference for future work... and I was charging them a small amount for installations, software upgrades etc and was earning money from repairing computers for other people etc anyway. So I cant be accused of not trying to be reasonable to them.. when i was barely even charging them anythin... 1 time it was about 7 months between invoices.. as i didnt have a huge great deal to invoice for... and even then i only invoiced for their websit work i did so it wasnt even related to their computers.

So bearing in mind the service I was actually offering, and the fact that they was barely if anything being charged for the bare actusl support anyway.. I dont think ive been un-reasonable at all.. and now im getting all this hastle when all I want to do is closer the door on it.. walk away and use the extra time now to develop my business further..

Even if there are no agreed times of availiability laid out.. surely its not deemed acceptable to call somebody up at 7:30 in the morning on thei own personal land line number when you never specifically gave it to them?

Hi mate,

There is obviously a lot of background and I don't know the details of hardware / software / services you have supplied and under what context - for example presumably hardware would come with a level of warranty etc but not necessarily support, that would have to be agreed seperately.

I would have said that as you have not been contracted to provide an ongoing level of support/service and that you have only ever offered an adhoc service on an individual case by case basis and have only charged for these one-off instances & that this has only ever been done on a best effort basis, that you don't really have anything to worry about.

I would write to them in a very pleasent manner and re-iterate that you have only ever offered them a best effort adhoc service as and when they have contacted you for help - and whilst you have always done your level best to help them out and often gone well above and beyond what could reasonable be expected of you, they made it clear that they needed a more permanent level of service than the adhoc help you could offer. You therefore gave them sufficient notice that you would not be accepting any further requests to help them from the turn of the year and requested that they sought assistance from elsewhere.

I would leave it at that and forget about them. Don't keep following up emails or responding to them, use this as your clean break - you no longer have any commitment to them!

All the best,
Sean.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Russeh @ 16 Jan 2010, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi RB2004

As above really, if you're operating as a limited company i believe you're obligated to take out professional indemnity insurance so if they do take legal action you're cover. However from what you've said above i dont think it will ever come to that not without some kind of agreement in place (SLA).

I run a small business myself (web development) and i've experienced situations like this, its really not a great place to be. It sounds like you still feel some responsablity for there problems, however you cannot hold yourself accountable for end users incompetence. When you get really draw into it like this you become blinded by it and it stops you making objective descisions. I'd take a step back, and you need to put some distance between you and this customer, dont reply to emails so soon and let them leave a voice mail if there going to call you and you can get back to them in your own time.

The fact is they terminated your services in decmeber so its clearly no longer your issue, i'd point that out to them next time they call. Its there problem now! i know you've looked after it for a while but try not to forget that, its really not your problem now.

one last thing, there are a lot of buisness owners who like to stretch there ego when it comes to things like this, threating you with legal action is just them posturing

Regards

Russ

Eidit: if you want to talk pm me.

Hi, thanks.. I know as a limited company you are required to.. but im only operating as a sole trader at the moment.
lol wasnt doing enough business to get to limited status.

Didnt help, most of the time I felt so obligated to help out and provide support, that Id always make sure I was available by phone, email or messenger.. and have access to a computer just so I could resolve problems in a reasonable amount of time... Part of that was because I got roped into the job by somebody else.. and when they left it was dumped onto me.. and i didnt want to just abandon them and walk out.. so I tried to use it as an opportunity to use it as a reference for future jobs like that. But in the process of doing all that, it more often than not hampered my ability to further my business and earn more money.. which was why after being called up at 7:30 in the morning on my landline, 2 server failures in a month and them telling me they wanted to find somebody else that really was the last straw and I just walked out after giving them 30 days notice.. whether they took the notice seriously or not i dont know.. but thats not my proble.
So I terminated it in the new year, with the intentions new year, new start.. and a chance to really try and develop my business.. a clean break.. but ever since all ive had is this hastle and harassment from them. Putting distance is something ive tried to do already by ignoring their phone calls.. I still do their website.. but ive been answering emails. However after the problems ive had over the past week in particular as soon as ive uploaded the outstanding stuff im going to just stop that as well and cut all ties... because if i do it now they might say tht ive charged them for development but havent finished/uploaded the stuff in question.

As you said it really isnt a great place to be at all.. some people might think im just complaining or making a big deal out of it.. but ive never been in this situation before.. and you can imagine somebody like that getting to the point where they start threatening legal action and stuff... its actually kind of depressing, and you feel like you really cant be dealing with all this hastle.. i especially feel what have i done to deserve all this attitude from them? I tried my best and they didnt have any previous complaints or take any opportunitys to get rid of me... if they didnt find somebody else then its not my problem.. i cant be expected to continue working on problems now ive terminated my support with adequate notice.. even if they did exist before i stoped my support.. in which case I wasnt informed of the problem within that 4 week time period.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(seanyb @ 16 Jan 2010, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi mate,

There is obviously a lot of background and I don't know the details of hardware / software / services you have supplied and under what context - for example presumably hardware would come with a level of warranty etc but not necessarily support, that would have to be agreed seperately.

I would have said that as you have not been contracted to provide an ongoing level of support/service and that you have only ever offered an adhoc service on an individual case by case basis and have only charged for these one-off instances & that this has only ever been done on a best effort basis, that you don't really have anything to worry about.

I would write to them in a very pleasent manner and re-iterate that you have only ever offered them a best effort adhoc service as and when they have contacted you for help - and whilst you have always done your level best to help them out and often gone well above and beyond what could reasonable be expected of you, they made it clear that they needed a more permanent level of service than the adhoc help you could offer. You therefore gave them sufficient notice that you would not be accepting any further requests to help them from the turn of the year and requested that they sought assistance from elsewhere.

I would leave it at that and forget about them. Don't keep following up emails or responding to them, use this as your clean break - you no longer have any commitment to them!

All the best,
Sean.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Regarding hardware that would be things like.. ADSL modem, VPN Firewall, Switches, Servers, Workstations, Printers, Network cable installation, Print Servers.

Software would be updating Sage and the other software they use and keeping it up to date.

I did supply most of their machines, but ive provided at least a 1 year warranty on them.. and when they have gone wrong repaired them at my own expense.

Although I have to say all the machines ive provided to them have been reliable, except the 1s which the owner seems to use.
1st 1 worked fine.. then broke down..I eventually repaired it. They then moved that machine for somebody else to use.. and I supplied him with a new machine, and then that 1 the other day after 6 months started rebooting. He the took a vacuum cleaner to it because it was full of dust and then the problem changed.. now it just shuts off if knocked.. asif theres a loose connectino or a short somewhere.. but that only started after he vacuumed it out.

But i did offer to buy the machine back at its current used value... and I havent declined them sending the machine to me for repair which im happy to do even though he effectively voided any warranty by opening it and vacuuming it out.
But all he keeps complaining about is how its unreliable.. just find it odd none of the other computers have problems which other people are using.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If the warranty period is already up on the equipment you have supplied, then you have absolutely no reason to keep communication channels open. I would recommend you complete any outstanding work on the web updates - it's a lil confusing that you are still doing this if you ceased accepting work from the last year - it would be difficult to draw the line between support in one are and not the other.

Wash your hands of them knowing you have done a good job providing them help on an informal adhoc basis in the past but that has now ended - you can relax, ignore them and move on

best of luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(seanyb @ 16 Jan 2010, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the warranty period is already up on the equipment you have supplied, then you have absolutely no reason to keep communication channels open. I would recommend you complete any outstanding work on the web updates - it's a lil confusing that you are still doing this if you ceased accepting work from the last year - it would be difficult to draw the line between support in one are and not the other.

Wash your hands of them knowing you have done a good job providing them help on an informal adhoc basis in the past but that has now ended - you can relax, ignore them and move on

best of luck!

Hi, thanks.

Wasnt intending on continuing to do their website work, but I was in a position where i hadnt completeled some stuff so ive got to complete and upload them bits and pieces before I cut loose and abandon that as well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just also recieved some advice to get a solicitor that doesnt mind me using their address for correspondance,
then send them an email 1 last time requesting that all future correspondance should be through my solicitor.. and that i should report the harassment to the police.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I see this as quite simple, there is/was never any contract so you are not actually obliged to do ANY more work (especially if the equipment is out of warranty). With no contract you are simply doing jobs on a case by case basis. Like taking your car into a garage for work, you cant take it in and demand that they do the work! They can refuse any job if they like.

I would either send them the email containing the solicitors info or... send them a "new terms of support" document for them to sign. This would contain new charge rates eg £500 same day call out fee + £350 per hour or part hour. That should get them off your back!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(RB2004 @ 16 Jan 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just also recieved some advice to get a solicitor that doesnt mind me using their address for correspondance,
then send them an email 1 last time requesting that all future correspondance should be through my solicitor.. and that i should report the harassment to the police.

I wouldnt even bother with this to be honest

If you are confident that the work you did was consistent in terms of quality with the price they paid and in the absence of a formal contract though there may well have been an implied contract. I would suggest you;

Send a letter saying that you do not wish to deal with them any longer, that out of courtesy you gave them some notice of this fact and that you position is unchanged.

And just leave it at that

If they actually come back with something, just refer back to the letter, they will soon get bored

If the systems were so critical to them why on earth would they be using you?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(Si @ 16 Jan 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wouldnt even bother with this to be honest

If you are confident that the work you did was consistent in terms of quality with the price they paid and in the absence of a formal contract though there may well have been an implied contract. I would suggest you;

Send a letter saying that you do not wish to deal with them any longer, that out of courtesy you gave them some notice of this fact and that you position is unchanged.

And just leave it at that

If they actually come back with something, just refer back to the letter, they will soon get bored

If the systems were so critical to them why on earth would they be using you?

Will do.

"If the systems were so critical to them why on earth would they be using you?"

lol, Thanks!.. I didnt think the job I did was that bad.. thing is. if they was that disappointed with my work they had a couple of years to get rid of me.. but didnt.

It was only when I walked out after their comments about wanting to find somebody else that all of a sudden they are trying to make out im to blame and liable for all the problems they are having now.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(RB2004 @ 16 Jan 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will do.

"If the systems were so critical to them why on earth would they be using you?"

lol, Thanks!.. I didnt think the job I did was that bad.. thing is. if they was that disappointed with my work they had a couple of years to get rid of me.. but didnt.

It was only when I walked out after their comments about wanting to find somebody else that all of a sudden they are trying to make out im to blame and liable for all the problems they are having now.

I didnt mean it like that lol

If you have a critical system you find the best people you can locally that can be on site within an hour and give 24 hour support, you of course pay for that to

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.