Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking at purchasing probably a facelift white or orange st-3, ive read through a lot of threads which have been very helpful including the buyers guide but are there any common faults/knocking etc that occur even non major things.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
yes there are and im sure there are more than one posts on here about this

Clicking when setting off - could be driveshafts (there is a TSB for this to "fix" them from Fords - may not apply if out of warrenty though)
Whistling on idle, goes normal with dipstick out - Diaphram valve has blown, normally points to car being re-mapped or drove hard (not always though) costs about £300 to fix, normally done under warrenty
Alternator - when they are about 2-3 years old they die, some have gone as early as 6 months old - costs between £200-£300 to sort, again should be under warrenty if car has one
Gearbox mount coming loose - sounds like a clunk when you change gear, accelerate, brake etc, just needs to be re-tightened, easy job!

Other things like rattles inside the cabin are standard, not a right lot you can do without potentially making it worse so unless you really can't live with it i wuldn't start ripping your door cards off!

Im sure there will be other things to look out for but specific to the
thats all i can think off from the top of my head!

The engines them selves are pretty bullet proof (unless your stupid!
) so aslong as its been serviced it should be fine!

Rick

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If the car makes a whistling sound then if, when idle, you pull out the dipstick the whistling noise goes away then this means the oil seperator diaphragm is your problem.

RE the alternator though chaps: Is what Rick says true? Do a very large percentage of them die after 3 years?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wondered if you have any more information on this? Clicking when setting off - could be driveshafts (there is a TSB for this to "fix" them from Fords - may not apply if out of warrenty though)

I have suddenly started getting this, this morning, but when i pull away it stops? Seems to be just when starting off from cold?

R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts