Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking about remapping the ST and quite fancy going down the Collins route. Has anyone had this map (Stage 1) and what's it like. I'd really like going for the CP320 package but can't really afford the £1700 or so quid. Can you purchase the components as and when or is it better to save up and get the whole package in 1? I'm thinking of starting with the remap and adding the intercooler, exhaust in time.

How does it compare to going down the dream science/Mountune route?

Mart

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I run the stage 2 map (CP320) without an aftermarket exhaust and it runs great, pulls well. I do have the intercooler and induction kit though. Just about to start buying the exhaust parts.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've bought a few of my parts from the classifieds on here.

Very helpful and saves some pennies.

Collins can load the level 2 software on for you cause I was speaking to them about it the other day. That's the one they use for cp320 I believe.

They do reccomend an intercooler as will many of the guys on here.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
A stage 2 map will go on any car. I got it put on my stock car and it's ran without issues. Added a decat since and it's now running at about 263BHP and 330lb/ft. Adding more parts will ramp up the power accordingly with no need to remap again.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
As has been previously stated you can run the CP320 map without any other mods, however I would advice strongly to get at least the intercooler. You can then add the rest as you go. Without the other mods you would not be getting the full potential of what is a superb map.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was in the same situation as you in March this year, went to collins with my standard ST, was just looking for a level 1 remap, after speaking to Gary for a bit he thought the level 2 map would be better if i was to keep modding it, so i went for the level 2, from there i mixed and matched the rest of the bits to my liking from various other places, Dreamscience induction kit, Dreamscience catback, mongoose downpipe, cobra decat, Radtec intercooler. From my own personal experience the Level 2 map ran fine on a standard car, except i had to change to an RS clutch pretty much straight away.

It all depends how far you want to go with the car, i warn you though it gets in your blood and you will get hooked on buying mods! only last week i told myself "thats it now, i'm happy with the mods i have, i don't need to go any further". I'm currently looking at AS inlets and bigger brakes

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I was in the same situation as you in March this year, went to collins with my standard ST, was just looking for a level 1 remap, after speaking to Gary for a bit he thought the level 2 map would be better if i was to keep modding it, so i went for the level 2, from there i mixed and matched the rest of the bits to my liking from various other places, Dreamscience induction kit, Dreamscience catback, mongoose downpipe, cobra decat, Radtec intercooler. From my own personal experience the Level 2 map ran fine on a standard car, except i had to change to an RS clutch pretty much straight away.

It all depends how far you want to go with the car, i warn you though it gets in your blood and you will get hooked on buying mods! only last week i told myself "thats it now, i'm happy with the mods i have, i don't need to go any further". I'm currently looking at AS inlets and bigger brakes
Keep tellin yourself Danny! Ive been sayin that in the mirror since 2007

·
Registered
517 Posts
All I got on my car is Dsci ind kit. And sports cat waiting to go on. Got eibachs already.

I'm down Collins on Wednesday for service and power flex front wishbone bushes. I'll be seeing about level 2 map.

All I hear is great reviews

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
All I got on my car is Dsci ind kit. And sports cat waiting to go on. Got eibachs already.

I'm down Collins on Wednesday for service and power flex front wishbone bushes. I'll be seeing about level 2 map.

Gary posted up a while back stating that they don't put Stage 2 on cars without at least an intercooler. Not sure if they'll hold up to it, but it's a heads up none the less. A fully modded Stage 1 car is still good for 300BHP however, so it's not all bad

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah I thought that you would have to have the level one without any mods as they charged for an upgrade to level 2. Not quite sure yet what mods I want, but just want the flexibility of adding them as and when. Would definitely want the intercooler and an exhaust. Just not sure I could afford them all at the same time. Does anyone know how it affects the insurance. I'm with Greenlight at the minute.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Gary posted up a while back stating that they don't put Stage 2 on cars without at least an intercooler. Not sure if they'll hold up to it, but it's a heads up none the less. A fully modded Stage 1 car is still good for 300BHP however, so it's not all bad
I was told at Collins by Gary
I had stage 2 on a standard car and he said Collins won't fit it without the minimum of a intercooler while at profile Gary would of.

To be Honest it will run on a standard car but when the weather is even slightly warm it ran like a bag of spanners due to high ATC's

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If you care about your motor, get an intercooler. It should be the FIRST mod on the car....

So get the cooler and CP320 map, then mod up later as funds allow. That is the safer way to do it. Save up for a clutch and flywheel though, because you will need them.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you care about your motor, get an intercooler. It should be the FIRST mod on the car....

So get the cooler and CP320 map, then mod up later as funds allow. That is the safer way to do it. Save up for a clutch and flywheel though, because you will need them.
Sound advice, there's two intercoolers in the classifieds, they're not silly money, £250 & £280.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If i were you id get the stage 1 map then add the exhaust and other bits then get the stage 2 map. I know youl be paying for a remap twice but i believe this will be safer for the car. Also i think almost everybody on here will warn you about the standard clutch.It seems its only a matter of time until an upgrade is needed. Im still on my standard clutch but know its days are numbered. At the very least make sure you upgrade the intercooler before stage 2.Look after the car buddy dont go all power without the kit to support it.Whatever it ends up costing you will think it was worth every penny even if nobody gets any preasents this xmas

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Currently running the Collins stage 1 map (on my car since Saturday), but I have also had the stage 2 map (full cp320 package) for the past 7 months. I simply cant fault either map. I changed over from code:red 7 months ago and the collins map is better in every respect.

Extremely smooth, linear power delivery with a massive amount of usable torque. Stage 1 isn't as smooth I don't think, and obviously isn't quite as fast, but is still great nonetheless. Stage 1 goes from 260 on an otherwise standard car, all the way to around 305 with all supporting mods.

Stage 2 is meant for a fully modded car, but will work on others (i just had an intercooler when i added stage 2). You should see around 315-325 and 400lb ft, though I'm sure tim will be along shortly to correct me

One thing that gets lost in the whole bhp,
measuring contest, is the way different maps deliver the power through throttle response. Many maps deliver boost in such a way that it feels like a switch; you go from no boost to full instantly. This can be bad mid corner if your car comes on boost and unsettles itself. With the collins maps the boost is linked to throttle position (Its pretty much quarter throttle = quarter boost, half gives half etc.) which means that boost can be modulated and brought in in a gradual and controlled way.

Anyway, whatever stage 1/2/3 map you choose, you cant go wrong, but my personal recommendation is definitely collins, I just cant wait to get stage 2 back on.

You've not spoken to Tim then?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Personally, I think Collins would sell a heck of a lot better if they had handsets you can keep, like many other brands.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
How come you downgraded?
Got a boost problem (occasional overboost on lift off causing limp mode) so switched to stage 1 as that doesn't boost as high. It doesnt overboost anymore, but i'll only go back to stage 2 once my problem has been fixed.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Got a boost problem (occasional overboost on lift off causing limp mode) so switched to stage 1 as that doesn't boost as high. It doesnt overboost anymore, but i'll only go back to stage 2 once my problem has been fixed.
Ah, fairy nuff. Seems to be a few people floating around with issues while running the Stage 2 map at the moment it seems.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts