Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,095 Posts
I went out in the ST yesterday and after a few minutes driving I noticed that both the front and rear heated screens were on.

I thought I had accidentally pressed the buttons and switched them off as the car is garaged and the screens clear.

So this morning I started up and heard the car 'chime' and saw the red snowflake warning was on and the temp was -1C. Then I looked down and saw that both the front and rear heated screens were switched on again !

Is this a normal action that the ST performs then when the ice warning is activated ? It never happened on my last ST.

It seems a bit strange and if you didnt notice it could run down the battery ...

·
Registered
262 Posts
They automatically come on below 4C i think but they go off after a while

I'm forever switching mine off in the mornings when they're not needed

·
Registered
480 Posts
yep normal function.

They seem fairly sensible about it though, I guess it works on resistance but if the screen is warm enough / clear the front one esp will cut out fairly quickly. The rear screen seems to take a little longer to drop out once not needed.

They're easy enough to turn off if you don't want them on though, although I can't say I've noticed them come on/off with the red snow flake, only when first turning car on of a morning, although I have heard the 'bong' for the amber snowflake coming on/off - which got right on my
and has now been turned off!

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys... 1st winter with the F/L so its a new one to me...

Guess it would be a good thing if it was parked outside but luckily the garage keeps it cosy this weather !

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yup come on as standard under 4deg C I think it is. They are set to switch off automatically though so you won't run the risk of killing your battery or straining the alternator much. However, I never run them both simultaneously, I always run the front one first then the rear and I never run heated seats for too long with one of the defrosters on either.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,095 Posts
When I say cosy, its not that warm (hence the warnings) but garaging does keep the ice off the screens.

I sometimes wish it was outside so I could seen the quick-clear in action and drive off laughing at the neighbours with their scrapers

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
mines different then... i get yellow snow flake when 1- 4 degrees... and red snow flake when 0 degrees and below.

Both heated screens come on when 0 degrees and below...

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
mines different then... i get yellow snow flake when 1- 4 degrees... and red snow flake when 0 degrees and below.

Both heated screens come on when 0 degrees and below...
I get the same colours at the same temps. I don't get the windscreens coming on automatically though. Can't say I'm worried about it.

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,488 Posts
Heated front and rear screens come on when the temp drops below 5 degrees,mines garaged at night but on the way to work when the temp drops below 5 degrees they both come on,if not needed i just switch them off

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
When I say cosy, its not that warm (hence the warnings) but garaging does keep the ice off the screens.

I sometimes wish it was outside so I could seen the quick-clear in action and drive off laughing at the neighbours with their scrapers
i got in mine today hit the buttons theres the neighbour looking over freezing his
of scraping away !!

waited about 1 minute front and rear are nice and clear :)
the side windows are still frozen.... dammit out i get with a cd case to hand

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
The temp warning lights annoy me, driving along one minute nothing, next minute you notice an orange or red symbol, and a beep if turned on. I keep thinking the car has gone wrong when it's cold. Another annoying thing is driving through an area which is hovering around 0 degrees, then it can beep at you repeatedly too as it goes from + to - every few seconds. I turned the chime off this year.

Mine goes orange under 4 then red when freezing. F/R heated screens come on under 4 degrees unless the car thinks it's warm/has been driven recently.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The temp warning lights annoy me, driving along one minute nothing, next minute you notice an orange or red symbol, and a beep if turned on. I keep thinking the car has gone wrong when it's cold. Another annoying thing is driving through an area which is hovering around 0 degrees, then it can beep at you repeatedly too as it goes from + to - every few seconds. I turned the chime off this year.

Mine goes orange under 4 then red when freezing. F/R heated screens come on under 4 degrees unless the car thinks it's warm/has been driven recently.
You know you can turn the chimes off?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

yup i agree with you there mate it still dose me in now when it flicks on or go,s to red and u think it broke lol

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
This happens to all st models. The chimes are a little different on the prefacelift, a bit more abrupt I did nearly
myself the first time I heard it (as I turned them off when I owned an 08 model)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts