Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Focus ST-3 247 PS - Private plate not the one pictured but same car
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, driving back from Silverstone (parade lap for Christmas) I lost boost. Symposer was perforated and I've since replaced it (cobb delete on the way, going to use it as a true boost reference too).

Prior to this I noticed a binding sound, metal-metal type whining/honking noise. I thought clutch or CV joint or something but I'm unsure; the CV joint boots look ok, checked them when I checked the hot/cold turbo hoses as I had it on a ramp last week.

After fixing the boost problem, i put car in gear and oh boy...it was sluggish as all hell. Engine and turbo are good but there's just no power transfer to the wheels. Bite point then jumped from 50% depressed (standard), right to the point where you lift your foot off the clutch...pulled over and did a code read and only code car has is P26DE which is a nothing burger. Figuring it's release bearing/slave cylinder or the master. No fluid leaks from looks of it other than an oil leak between bell housing and crank case.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms? 2013 ST-3 pre-facelift, car is completely stock at the moment.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,400 Posts
If the crankcase seal is leaking the clutch could be oil contaminated.
No way around the fact that it all has to be stripped.

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,277 Posts
Unfortunately, if the box has to come out, which is looking likely, you might as well fit a new clutch anyway.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, if the box has to come out, which is looking likely, you might as well fit a new clutch anyway.
Comes down to cost, got a VAT bill to pay in February & would be nice to get this car on the road without having to turn to my CC 🙈

Car is going in to dealers tomorrow so we'll see what they say. I do have a warranty on it until May so hopefully warranty company doesn't play around; can't imagine labour rate will be under £75 though ha

EDIT: the oil leak may be from the slave cylinder itself (trans oil), the crank/bell housing looks nice and tight but hot oil loves getting into places it normally wouldn't...guess Ijust have to hope for the best.

·
Registered
CP320
1,641 Posts
Comes down to cost, got a VAT bill to pay in February & would be nice to get this car on the road without having to turn to my CC 🙈

Car is going in to dealers tomorrow so we'll see what they say. I do have a warranty on it until May so hopefully warranty company doesn't play around; can't imagine labour rate will be under £75 though ha

EDIT: the oil leak may be from the slave cylinder itself (trans oil), the crank/bell housing looks nice and tight but hot oil loves getting into places it normally wouldn't...guess Ijust have to hope for the best.
Whether it's gearbox oil, engine oil or hydraulic fluid a leak from between the bellhousing and engine block means that it's very likely the friction material has been contaminated.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whether it's gearbox oil, engine oil or hydraulic fluid a leak from between the bellhousing and engine block means that it's very likely the friction material has been contaminated.
The leak looked like it was coming from around where the slave cylinder is. If it's the cylinder itself leaking and not a leak from bell housing/crank case joint it'll only mean a trans oil fluid change. If it's more major work car won't be on the road until February :rolleyes:

The three fluids have different smells so you stand a chance of identifying what it is.
Was doing an oil change at the time I noticed the leak so only thing I could smell was said oil; didn't sample the leaked fluid at all.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the crankcase seal is leaking the clutch could be oil contaminated.
No way around the fact that it all has to be stripped.
You're 100% right my friend unfortunately. New clutch/flywheel and slave/release bearing. Dealership filled out the repair form for this 3rd party warranty company...we'll see if they pay up or get a court summons 😂

Clutch failure was due to rear oil seal failing.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update 1 month on. New clutch fitted, OEM clutch..Priced for the kit + labour around £1400. Warranty company paid £800 of that, so left me with £600 or so to pay. For a clutch replacement at a dealership I would say it's a bargin.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea the dealership fitted a new oil seal as the old one was bust. The only thing they didn't do was clean the turbo hot pipe and the bottom of the crank case/bell housing so I had burning oil smell still until I cleaned it off.

£600 was for labour mostly and the oil seal as warranty only paid for the clutch kit and some of the labour.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

I found the true cause of the rear oil seal leak. Rear anti roll bushing seems to be bad (lifting off at low revs you get a shuddering noise). Would explain why the oil seal "suddenly" went bad, if it was being torqued about by the engine vibrations constantly.

Be fitting a Mountine rear roll restrictor/anti-roll bushing next week (assuming it's delivered on time).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts