Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my clutch has had it
Driving home last night, pulled onto the motorway foot down in 4th and rev's going up and no real drive
it then droped the revs and griped again

First thought it was wheel spin on ice etc, then tried it again in 5th and did it again

Although i didnt seem to do after it had warmed up by the time i got home

This morning into work I tried it again, 4th gear foot down at 30mph (i dont normally drive like that for the record lol)
and its reved up with very little acceleration

Ive booked into Pumabuild for the RS clutch kit on Monday £750
I presumse that is the full kit inc flywheel?

Any thoughts would be helpful as the wife is not pleased her xmas present is going on the car lol

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Its your clutch that's on the way out.
Clutches do slip more in cold weather but ultimately your clutch will need changing.

Not much more to say about it.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,231 Posts
Be prepared for the clutch to feel really heavy when you pick the car up. Within a couple of days you won't even notice it though.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
your clutch will be fine. It'll just be the pressure plate struggling to cope with the power/the cold.

fitting the RS clutch and pressure plate is a good choice. Should see you up to stage 3 plus

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks lads,

Im running Bluefin Stage 2 with a Airtech Gen 3, RS Plugs and K&N Panel filter at the moment

The exhuast is standard apart from the the centre box being removed

Think I need a sports cat and down pipe before stage 3......?

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Thanks lads,

Im running Bluefin Stage 2 with a Airtech Gen 3, RS Plugs and K&N Panel filter at the moment

The exhuast is standard apart from the the centre box being removed

Think I need a sports cat and down pipe before stage 3......?
As many will vouch, the standard cat is very restrictive. My clutch starter to slip after a decat. A DP and sports cat would be a good mod to bring yours up to full stage 3

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
There was mention of Ford having put up the price of the RS clutch kit.

If this is indeed the case then you might consider the Volvo clutch kit for their 'R' model that you can get from some dealers for arround £290. It has the same clamping force as the RS kit, that is about 40% greater than the standard ST and has comparable friction material, it is alsoi a much more robust design. If you are considering replacing your standard dual mass flywheel with one of my KU lightened single mass ones then this Volvo 'R' kit is a very good match in that its disc is sprung which makes up in part for the loss of springing in a DMF.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
There was mention of Ford having put up the price of the RS clutch kit.

If this is indeed the case then you might consider the Volvo clutch kit for their 'R' model that you can get from some dealers for arround £290. It has the same clamping force as the RS kit, that is about 40% greater than the standard ST and has comparable friction material, it is alsoi a much more robust design. If you are considering replacing your standard dual mass flywheel with one of my KU lightened single mass ones then this Volvo 'R' kit is a very good match in that its disc is sprung which makes up in part for the loss of springing in a DMF.

Regards, Don.
is this kit on your website Don?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts