Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Having never tried a remap car before and never experiencing clutch slip on my previous cars I just wanted some advice.

I have just purchased a Dreamscience unit and stuck on the Perf+ remap just to test the water and I have noticed that when I change from 2nd gear to 3rd gear at 20mph the rate at which the revs increase is faster than the rate the speed increases. When I approach 30mph in 3rd gear revs reach around 2200 RPM. The car seems fine in 4th,5th and the 6th gear though. Is this normal for a remap or have I got clutch slip? If this is the case I will remove the remap so it gives me a few months to save for the RS clutch kit.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
699 Posts
normally the clutch slip occurs more often in the higher gears at low revs but can get worse than that.

are you sure you are not experiencing wheelspin?

It doesnt sound too bad tbh

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(RobboST @ 12 Jan 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>normally the clutch slip occurs more often in the higher gears at low revs but can get worse than that.

are you sure you are not experiencing wheelspin?

It doesnt sound too bad tbh

Erm I don't think I am getting wheelspin, again having never owned a performance car before I am not too sure. When I am increasing my speed I am doing it gradually and not flooring the throttle.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
sounds like wheelspin mate. usually higher up the gears in 5th & 6th where most people experience clutch slip with a remap. was the road wet, or greasey? if so i would say wheelspin. good news is its a much cheaper fix. you just need to buy a lighter pair of loafers!

·
Registered
699 Posts
In this weather wheelspin is hardly surprising lol. I'm running perf+ also for the winter and I still get wheelspin with slight acceleration!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 12 Jan 2010, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sounds like wheelspin mate. usually higher up the gears in 5th & 6th where most people experience clutch slip with a remap. was the road wet, or greasey? if so i would say wheelspin. good news is its a much cheaper fix. you just need to buy a lighter pair of loafers!

Yeah the roads were wet as it had been raining. Admittedly I have Kuhmo cheapie tyres at front and my Falken 452s on the rear(not sure if that will make a difference?) So what exactly should I be looking out for to make sure it ain't clutch slip? Revs increasing at a faster rate than the speed in the higher gears(4+)?

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(magicone @ 12 Jan 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah the roads were wet as it had been raining. Admittedly I have Kuhmo cheapie tyres at front and my Falken 452s on the rear(not sure if that will make a difference?) So what exactly should I be looking out for to make sure it ain't clutch slip? Revs increasing at a faster rate than the speed in the higher gears(4+)?

yes mate. usually when you put the car under load, ie 30 in 5th and put your foot down. if its slippin you will definatley notice it then. st's dont like cheep tyres mate. i bet its these causing the problem now you've added dreamscience.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 12 Jan 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes mate. usually when you put the car under load, ie 30 in 5th and put your foot down. if its slippin you will definatley notice it then. st's dont like cheep tyres mate. i bet its these causing the problem now you've added dreamscience.

Cheers..I will stick it in fifth and see what happens this week. I am tempted changing them but they are brand new tyres though! The owner stuck them on a week before I bought the car so they have loads of tread on them.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've found something which has almost eliminated my clutch slip - I have dropped from Tesco 99 to 95 RON fuel. Car actually feels quicker as the clutch is just gripping and I'm off

Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Simo @ 12 Jan 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've found something which has almost eliminated my clutch slip - I have dropped from Tesco 99 to 95 RON fuel. Car actually feels quicker as the clutch is just gripping and I'm off

Chris

Did you experience your clutch slip on the higher gears?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
QUOTE(Simo @ 12 Jan 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've found something which has almost eliminated my clutch slip - I have dropped from Tesco 99 to 95 RON fuel. Car actually feels quicker as the clutch is just gripping and I'm off

Chris

saves money on petrol too....nice one
lol

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(magicone @ 12 Jan 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you experience your clutch slip on the higher gears?

Yes 4th 5th and 6th. Now I can floor it at 30mph in 4th and it won't slip

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
Magicone - there are loads of threads about clutch-slip in this Section... trawl through and have a read.

What I have found is that it is mainly 2007 model
's which seem to suffer, due to a possible dodgy batch of clutches ??

I have a late 2005 car and never had any clutch problems at all running my DS re-map

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys,

Well on the way to work I stuck it in fifth gear at 25mph and floored it up to 60 and the revs were increasing at a nice steady rate.

Still wondering though is it normal for the revs to increase faster than the speed on the lower gears(1-3)?

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
This:

is typical clutch slip caused by a remap with a weak clutch. 6th gear, foot to the floor, revs rise briefly with little increase in speed, then falls and the clutch 'grips' and begins normal acceleration.

That was with the Dsci map, 1.2bar boost from low revs is pretty hard on the clutch. I ran Perf+ with no issues until I added intercooler and intake, then noticed mild to moderate slip. Most noticeable in 3rd with the foot planted from around 3000rpm. Dropped to Performance and had no noticeable slip, but the car is currently in with Ford getting new clutch, flywheel and quaife.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(furiousgibbon @ 14 Jan 2010, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This:

is typical clutch slip caused by a remap with a weak clutch. 6th gear, foot to the floor, revs rise briefly with little increase in speed, then falls and the clutch 'grips' and begins normal acceleration.

That was with the Dsci map, 1.2bar boost from low revs is pretty hard on the clutch. I ran Perf+ with no issues until I added intercooler and intake, then noticed mild to moderate slip. Most noticeable in 3rd with the foot planted from around 3000rpm. Dropped to Performance and had no noticeable slip, but the car is currently in with Ford getting new clutch, flywheel and quaife.

Cheers for the link mate,

I don't think that happens with mine mate, the revs seem to increase at a quicker rate than my speed in the lower gears but the revs don't suddenly increase then drop again when I am in the same gear. The revs do drop slightly when I change gear but I think that is normal?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts