Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure at first if it was just the cold or not but this has persisted and seems to be getting worse.

When i depress the clutch pedal to change gear sometimes it feels very light, sometimes the pedal sticks abolut halfway up and the biting point gets alot lower, it still drives fine and isn't making any strange noises but i know this isn't right. If i flick the clutch pedal back out with my foot then it is normally fine for a few gear changes, but then it does it again.

My thoughts are that it could be the slave cylinder playing up but its been suggested it may be the pressure plate? Anyone any idea's, this couldn't have come at a worse time as my wallet is still recovering from christmas

Cheers Guys,

Rick

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
It sounds like a similar problem I had with my Silver ST and was down to the Slave/master cylinder but once it had been pulled back up into place it didn't cause any more problems until I started it again the next day so might not be that

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(ST Tommo @ 10 Jan 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it sounds like your clutch pedal master cylinder is on its way out they are quite common on the focus not a nice job to fit either. see if gary could fit one for you

yeah gonna give him a ring tomorrow, just wondered if anyone on here had had the same problem to try and get an idea of what it may be, i know anything to do with the clutch is not a nice job and not very labour friendly

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
When i first got this ST i had a very similar problem virtually from new, id depress the clutch and it would just stick to the floor, but when i pulled it back up with my foot everything was ok!

I took it to Ford a couple of time's and as usual the problem wouldnt occur, so they wouldnt do anything about it even though i mentioned to them that some guy's on this forum had the same issues and the cylinder was replaced under warranty.

But approx 35,000 miles later ive not had any issues "Touch Wood"

Let us know how you get on Rick but im more than sure Gary and John will sort you out

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 10 Jan 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah sounds like your slave cylinder, also check your fluid cos the clutch and brakes share the same. Just make sure it isnt low and if it is you may have an air bubble in the pipe.

cheers for the heads up Ad, had already checked the fluid level for that exact same reason but always good to be sure!

spoke to Gary today so with any luck will be able to sort it, the parts don't seem too bad (circa £90 for the master and £110 for the slave) so hopefully it will be one OR the other and not both, and with any luck it will be a 2 min job so won't charge me too much to do it :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have had the same problem, they changed the master cylinder first (that did not fix it)then the slave cylinder and it sems to have fixed it but the pedal is still not returning to the very top
it always stops about 1/2 inch below.
I was told the master cyl is a pain to do don't know how long it took them but they said it is eaiser getting the gearbox off and replacing the slave cylinder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.