Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, first post here and very close to buying my first focus ST.. which will in fact be my first performance car ..woohoo

Im a long fan of the Focus, currently on my 3rd one, an 03 Ebony, but with things being a bit better money wise these days its time to get a real focus!

Im looking at an 57/08 ST-3 (preferably black..seen a few options nearby) and im not blind to the running costs, i do around 7-800 miles per month combined and expect to fill up at least once more the then 2 times my current focus needs a drink (sometimes twice more im guessing for a total of 4 refils.. ouch!
) and my Insurance is going to jump up some (currently 250 all in for the Ebony, had quotes from 350 to 700 for the ST-3) but im wondering about a couple of other running costs.

Brakes - how often and approx at what cost
Tyres - again how often and approx at what cost, i have read a couple of things about excessive tyre wear.
Tracker - recommended? im not sure how 'nickable' the ST is, i live in a quite country lane and it will be on my drive which has CC TV so it as safe as most places i guess.

Cheers for any advice.. i look forward to becoming a proper member of the club in a few weeks

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
mate

I've heard people say brakes last approx 20k miles and there a few hundred quid to replace disc's and pads.

Tyres - well the standard contientals lasted me 11k miles on the front and im half way through the rears in the same time. Suitable replacements prices varie but between £100 - £150 fitted each. Edit there are falken tyres going for £65 each which have had good reviews.

i wouldnt bother with a tracker as it makes little different to your insurance and if it was stolen would you want it back?

Some other things,

Servicing is every 12 months or 12500 miles and is £175 for interium and £280 for a full serivce.

Dont underestimate the fuel consumption - its well documented on here but most get between 20-23 mpg for town/A roads and 28-30 mpg on motorways

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
agree completely with Russeh, and if they want your car they will come for either the keys, or you inside it. It is quite rare though, so i wouldnt think any extra security is much worth it, just be vigilant at all times and think about things a bit more, like not leaving keys visibly in sight, parking in non lit areas etc, just common sense stuff.

On a more positive note, i have recently come from a standard 1.8 foci, to an ST and have only noticed 5 less MPG, so on average an extra 1/2 tank a month, maybe a full one, but i know 1.8 are thirstier than your (ebonys a 1.6?). So for a performance car, depends really how you can and want to drive. Stop-Starting kills the mpg as does snow!, long runs really do get up to the 30 mark, maybe a bit more. i do 10 miles to and from work daily, mix of motorway and single carridge way national limit, lots of roundabouts, so up and down the speed, and im averaging 24 mpg, thats usually light footed driving with the occasional spirited over take or acceleration from a stop etc.

Go out and get one, they are a lovely beautiful car, only thing i would say is i personally dont think the interior is a well put together as the older foci, but its a small price to pay for what is otherwise a fab motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps.

Im working on 20mpg so around 250 miles per tank (12 gallons ish?) , doing approx 800 miles a month and a tank costing around £50, i currently spend about £100 on fuel so not a huge jump in costs.

Im not stressing too much about the running costs, i know that if im that bothered i shouldnt even consider a performance car, but i like to know what im getting in to

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(marks1972 @ 15 Feb 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks chaps.

Im working on 20mpg so around 250 miles per tank (12 gallons ish?) , doing approx 800 miles a month and a tank costing around £50, i currently spend about £100 on fuel so not a huge jump in costs.

Im not stressing too much about the running costs, i know that if im that bothered i shouldnt even consider a performance car, but i like to know what im getting in to

those figurs look good to me, thats about the same as i do mileage per month and it costs me about £160

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Russeh @ 15 Feb 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>those figurs look good to me, thats about the same as i do mileage per month and it costs me about £160

Nice one ta mate. Despite the horror stories ive read that doesnt sound excessive to me for day to day use. £50-£60 more a month in fuel to go from a 1.6 ebony, to a far more fun 2.5 turbo charged ST is cheap at twice the price

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(marks1972 @ 15 Feb 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice one ta mate. Despite the horror stories ive read that doesnt sound excessive to me for day to day use. £50-£60 more a month in fuel to go from a 1.6 ebony, to a far more fun 2.5 turbo charged ST is cheap at twice the price

cool well now you're good with the costs you should go test drive one, be warned the engine noise is addictive and is ultimatly what soild it for me lol

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,488 Posts
First
i got 20,000 miles from a set of good years,swapping back to front at every service was still on first set of pads when sold at 29,000miles 25mpg around town and 32 on a run and all of that was with some spirited driving
they are that good i bought another one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for the advice all, this forum alone is convincing me what a great buy it will be.

Im going to put a deposit on a Blue ST-3, 57 Plate, 13,000 miles on Saturday. £10k + my 03 Focus Ebony. Probably not the cheapest but it has 5 doors which pleases the missus as we can bundle the neices and nephews in the back (like thats gonna happen, they can go in her Diesel Citroen C4) and parking sensors, which i really need, im fine at 70mph but for some reason at 2mph in tescos car park i turn into a right muppet

Cant wait to be able to become an owner member of this forum

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
QUOTE(marks1972 @ 17 Feb 2010, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers for the advice all, this forum alone is convincing me what a great buy it will be.

Im going to put a deposit on a Blue ST-3, 57 Plate, 13,000 miles on Saturday. £10k + my 03 Focus Ebony. Probably not the cheapest but it has 5 doors which pleases the missus as we can bundle the neices and nephews in the back (like thats gonna happen, they can go in her Diesel Citroen C4) and parking sensors, which i really need, im fine at 70mph but for some reason at 2mph in tescos car park i turn into a right muppet

Hi Marks,

You can sign up for owner membership now if you like. Give you a chance to read up a bit on your future purchase.

To purchase Owner Membership, follow this link:

http://www.fordstoc.com/shop/categories.php?cat=41

Kind regards,

Allan

·
Registered
413 Posts
QUOTE(Allan @ 17 Feb 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Marks,

You can sign up for owner membership now if you like. Give you a chance to read up a bit on your future purchase.

To purchase Owner Membership, follow this link:

http://www.fordstoc.com/shop/categories.php?cat=41

Kind regards,

Allan

Hi Allan,
I was looking at signing up for a membership but I understand that "Owner" membership is only for people who currently have one... what about those of us who are in the process of buying our first but want to read the technical forums so we know what to look out for? the buyers guide links through to articles tht I can't read.

Cheers,

Arnold

·
Registered
592 Posts
QUOTE(marks1972 @ 17 Feb 2010, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers for the advice all, this forum alone is convincing me what a great buy it will be.

Its not the running cost that are the problem its the tunning costs . Once you been in a tuned car you can be sure your credit card will take a hit. Enjoy it as std then modify, its just fantastic

Chris

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
QUOTE(MrRimmer @ 17 Feb 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Allan,
I was looking at signing up for a membership but I understand that "Owner" membership is only for people who currently have one... what about those of us who are in the process of buying our first but want to read the technical forums so we know what to look out for? the buyers guide links through to articles tht I can't read.

Cheers,

Arnold

We allow the purchase of owner membership to prospective buyers. As you say, you need to do your homework first.

Regards

Allan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.