Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I need educating again with the Climate Control system on my 2010-model ST with the Voice Activation set-up.

I purchased the car in April, 2011 and until today I have never once used the AUTO function on the DEATC Climate Control panel. My understanding of this option, is once pressed will maintain the desired cabin temperature set and will then direct the flow of air through the vents automatically.

I thought that if I just selected the temperature of 22°C then that will keep the cabin temperature to this designated temperature without the AUTO function enabled.

In fairness, I drive 7-miles to work and back again, so I am guessing that this wouldn't be beneficial to use the AUTO function, unless I was on a longer drive etc...

Due to the recent cold weather, I've been reading up that to warm the cabin up quicker, to turn ON the AC as anything under 4°C, the AC motor will not engage and then the website started getting way to technical for me to follow. So the past few evening in cold temperatures, with the AC button pressed, I drove home as normal but the car drove so horrible, notchy gear changes, jumpy when coming off the clutch pedal (running Bluefin Stage 1) so I decided to switch the AC off. In cold weather, I always let my car idle between 10-12 minutes before I start driving.

For 20-minutes this evening, I've just sat in the car (on the driveway) and started the car on a cold engine and turned on the Climate Control Panel. The outside air temperature was 9.5°C. I selected HI (fan speed 4) using the Windscreen vent. After 2-minutes I pressed the AUTO function and the AC automatically engaged, the Fan speed indicator and Vent Direction disappeared from the display but could hear the fan still operating. I reselected the Windscreen vent and started flowing through to the windscreen. When I manually selected a lower temperature, the fan speed went quieter and when I went back to HI, the fan speed went faster.

Without going to technical, would someone be able to explain to me the principal behind the AUTO function. I just don't see how this would benefit from manually selecting a temperature and Vent direction and keeping it at that. What makes the AUTO function more beneficial?

Cheers guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
In auto mode the system continually monitors the cabin temps; via various sensors to maintain the set temperature. In full manual mode it won't necessarily keep the temperature to the set value. There are usually certain features you can tweak while still keeping the system in auto. In auto mode you can adjust the passenger and drivers side to different values, in manual mode both sides will be at the same set temperature. Not sure about the Ford system but most of the cars I've had with acc., during cold weather with auto selected the fan starts off in slow speed and gradually speeds up to full speed as the coolant temp. rises so as not to fill the cabin with freezing cold air.

Mike

·
Registered
693 Posts
In auto mode the system continually monitors the cabin temps; via various sensors to maintain the set temperature. In full manual mode it won't necessarily keep the temperature to the set value. There are usually certain features you can tweak while still keeping the system in auto. In auto mode you can adjust the passenger and drivers side to different values, in manual mode both sides will be at the same set temperature. Not sure about the Ford system but most of the cars I've had with acc., during cold weather with auto selected the fan starts off in slow speed and gradually speeds up to full speed as the coolant temp. rises so as not to fill the cabin with freezing cold air.

Mike
Evening fella, thanks for your reply.

It might be a better idea if I started to use this AUTO function more often but just didn't like how the car drove whilst the AC was enabled in cold weather. In AUTO mode, the AC enables as a default and I know I can simply turn the AC off, but in doing so, will the AUTO function still run as it should or does the AC have to be on the whole time?

·
Registered
264 Posts
On my car if I turn the a/c off the system still remains in auto mode, I would think the ST is the same but not 100% certain. Handbook is your best friend for this sort of info. Can also alter the airflow to floor, windows etc. and still remain in auto mode.

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
I run mine in auto with the A/C off, except if I need the cooling or demisting. Remember to switch the A/C on for 5 minutes or so every few weeks if you leave it off to keep it running properly.

Your car won't warm up faster with the A/C on, if the engine isn't up to temp it will make it feel colder in the car. The only benifit to running the A/C in the cold is that it dries the air so that the car demists faster.

I find the automode very effective, it keeps the fan speed down until the engine reaches temp and directs the air where you need it.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
In cold weather, I always let my car idle between 10-12 minutes before I start driving.
No. This is not the way to warm your car up. Oil is at it's least protective when cold, and will be colder for longer this way. Clear your windows, turn the engine on, drive off.

Climate control is great, set a temperature, press Auto and leave it. It's designed so that you never have to touch it

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I ordered our lasses with DEACT back in 07 as I hate manual aircon, it has been on auto ever since (apart from when it is on defrost first thing on a very cold morning)

When in auto, it chooses where to direct the air and the fan speed in order to acheive adn then maintain the set temp as quickly as possible.

I also only ever have it on mono, I hate to see dual zone climates with different temps on each side (I also have ot have all my vents straight, I'm a bit OCD)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, many thanks for your responses, very much appreciated as always.

Most of you have mentioned that when needed, the AUTO function will direct the airflow to where needed. This is the part I'm not sure on as when the AUTO function is enabled, there is nothing displayed for which vent the airflow is emitting from. I can manually press the directional buttons but am I to be informed that once the temperature is set, then all I do is enable the AUTO mode and don't do anything more?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered our lasses with DEACT back in 07 as I hate manual aircon, it has been on auto ever since (apart from when it is on defrost first thing on a very cold morning)

When in auto, it chooses where to direct the air and the fan speed in order to acheive adn then maintain the set temp as quickly as possible.

I also only ever have it on mono, I hate to see dual zone climates with different temps on each side (I also have ot have all my vents straight, I'm a bit OCD)
Least I am not the only one with OCD, as even if the temperature is 0.5 different, I press the MONO mode just to balance the display.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Most of you have mentioned that when needed, the AUTO function will direct the airflow to where needed. This is the part I'm not sure on as when the AUTO function is enabled, there is nothing displayed for which vent the airflow is emitting from. I can manually press the directional buttons but am I to be informed that once the temperature is set, then all I do is enable the AUTO mode and don't do anything more?
Yes, the climate system will direct the airflow where required depending on conditions without showing you what it's up to on the display. I've been very impressed with the operation of the auto mode, the only time that I override it is to use the defrost max function.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts

Why does it matter where the air is coming from as long as it is not straight at your face etc?

I think it mainly puts it through the windsrean if it is cooling the air and the floor if it is warming up at a guess but to be honnest I have never taken much notice and just left the car to sort itself out while I enjoy driving it

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys! I will try this for next few days/ weeks. Hopefully I will use this function like the rest of you.

Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts