Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Thinking of Claying the ST this weekend - got the Meg's kit from Halfords today but just need some advice first - been looking around this section and there seems to be some conflicting advice regarding this subject...

1. I have a few stone chips here and there where the primer shows, is it still OK to clay?

2. The previous owner had the car paintwork Scratch Gaurded, though dont know how long ago this was. Will the clay affect this at all?

3. What are the steps in claying (wash, clay, wax)? Or can you just wash, clay and then wash over again with some wash and wax combo i.e. Turtle Wax Nano Tech which I have.

Thanks in advance
Nathan

·
Registered
163 Posts
1) Never really had any issues with stone chips. If you get any clay stuck in the holes just make sure you remove it.
2) Sorry i don't have the answer
3) Wash, Clay, Wash again, Wax.

My normal wash cycle is

Rinse, Snowfoam, Rinse, Wash by hand, Clay (once every 3 month), Dry, Glaze, Polish, Wax and then sealent.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Stone chips will not make any difference,
Claying will remove any protection, wax or other

Wash the car
clay using plenty of lubricant a quick detailer (I use Megs Last touch)
Split the clay bar into about 4 pieces, keep it warm, If you drop it bin it, as soon as there is a build up on the surface of the clay or you are moving onto another panel fold it over.
When finished wash again
Dry
Polish
Wax

Stand back & Admire

·
Registered
198 Posts
1) You're fine to clay - remember, you're not going to be putting on lots of pressure and rubbing it hard on the paint. Just remember, spray on the lubricant and gently move the clay back and forth - you'll hear it at first and after a couple of passes, it should have done its job. Check with your fingers that it feels smooth and makes no noise to the touch.

2) Don't quote me on this, but I think 'Scratch Guard' coatings on the paintwork are only good for 3 years at best. Claying will remove any protection you had previously. Personally, I think by washing your car properly and applying some decent products to protect your paintwork, you'll be just as good.

3) You can do as you say, no problem - it just depends how much you want to keep your ST protected and looking super shiny. To answer your question directly, I always wash again after claying - just another going over with the wash mitt followed by a rinse and pat-drying before I carry on with the polish, glaze and sealant/wax stages.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
believe me ure arm's will be ready to drop off.

do it in this order

wash,
clay,
wash,
polish,
wax,
detail spray

that's how i do mine but takes the whole weekend.

oh and a little tip, if got some, use detail spray when clay baring

good luck

hopefully u'll end up with a result like this

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/62903-whole-day-spent-cleaning/

Attachments

·
Formerly known as wabbit1
2,791 Posts
Exactly as above

There are so many opinions on what products to use, from shampoos, polishes, waxes, applicator pads/sponges, microfibres and drying cloths. Best look about and make up your own mind. If you don't like one, try another

I use Meguiars GC Shampoo, Meguiars Clay car kit, Autoglym SRP & Autoglym HD Wax. Meguiars microfibre even coat applicator pads, Meguiars supreme shine microfibre cloths are used for polishing and waxing. All affordably priced and easy to use

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! Those cars of yours are looking damn sexy indeed!

Ill post some pics up when Ive done the car, still havent had a chance as the weather has just been terrible, not even any point in just washing the car at the moment.

Fingers crossed it wont be too long now before I get the perfect day to do it
.gif[/img]

Nathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts