Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to this forum as I'm seeking some answers/advice.

I bought my 2015 ST-3 TDCI in September of this year with 24k on the clock. It had 4 near-new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres and around a month later I noticed a loud wobbling sound while driving. I had this issue before with my previous car (BMW 5 series) and took it to my local tyre garage to find that the wheels needed aligned. This solved the issue on the BMW. However, I've taken the car to same garage to have it fixed on my ST and the technician advised in his experience this is a chronic issue with the Ford Focus and said the car will need re-aligned frequently. He said he's even aligned the wheels on his wife's Focus 3 times in the last 18 months.

The technician pointed out that my rear tyres are wearing a lot more on the inner side of the tyre and this is the reason why. I need two new rear tyres and an alignment seems like it'll last 6 months before wearing out more tyres. I've spoken to the dealership I bought the car from and they basically want nothing to do with it as they see it as wear and tear.

I've read of a lawsuit in California back in 2011 against Ford for this exact reason.

Does anyone have this issue or know of a fix? I'm pretty annoyed that I'm stuck with a car that i'll either have to keep re-aligning or buying tyres for twice a year.

Thanks

· Registered
4,168 Posts
Your garage advice doesn't sound right to me. ST's don't have a problem with wheel alignment - I have a 2017 ST3, I've done 25,000m and everything's fine. Previously I had a 2007 ST2 and ditto.

I would suggest you take it to another tyre place - one with laser 4 wheel alignment and get it checked thoroughly - it could be something's not right but just to put it down to a 'chronic issue' is just wrong in my opinion.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Your garage advice doesn't sound right to me. ST's don't have a problem with wheel alignment - I have a 2017 ST3, I've done 25,000m and everything's fine. Previously I had a 2007 ST2 and ditto. I would suggest you take it to another tyre place - one with laser 4 wheel alignment and get it checked thoroughly - it could be something's not right but just to put it down to a 'chronic issue' is just wrong in my opinion.
This, plus Fords like to use their rear inner tires more than any other car I have seen. Its just the cost of the rear you can just throw around. This has been the same from the MK1 ST170 to the current one. The ST170 was really bad with this and so is MK7 Fiesta even the ST-line versions. My friend had 140hp ST-line MK7 and his winter rear tires were almost bald after 20thousand km and the fronts had nice amount of rubber left on them :D

· Registered
1,432 Posts
@Chris_ST3

I had a local tyre depot tell me it was impossible to balance Ford wheels properly?? "They are made of sugar mate." Just a cop out so that when they hadn't/couldn't do the job properly, they could simply say "Well we warned you." I think you must have visited the same outfit. I have been driving since 1978, I can smell bullsh....t when I hear it.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am currently going through the same problem. Got my 2015 ST mk3 in October and have had all 4 tyres replaced. The rear tyres were making an awful sound (like 1 window was open) it seems the alignment is off so need that checked. The tyres on the rear were fine on outside but very badly worn on the inside to the point it indented.

· Registered
7,019 Posts
Mine used to eat the inner edges of the rear tyres like mad but that was because the car was lowered & had put a massive negative camber onto them. Since getting some adjustable arms on there & getting them set up properly the problem has gone and isn't coming back regularly either. Are the cars exhibiting this on this thread been lowered any as that might explain things?

· Registered
4 Posts
I had mine serviced at the end of Jan by a dealership, nothing mentioned about tyres. Then last week had it MOT'd (first time) by an independent and they failed me on the rear tyres with this exact same problem, bang two new tyres needed! Went back to the dealership and they denied there being a problem, happens all the time to various Fords apparently.

So, now considering taking to a 3rd party for 4-wheel laser alignment. See what comes back!

· Registered
Paul Mk3.5 st3
2,767 Posts
I had mine serviced at the end of Jan by a dealership, nothing mentioned about tyres. Then last week had it MOT'd (first time) by an independent and they failed me on the rear tyres with this exact same problem, bang two new tyres needed! Went back to the dealership and they denied there being a problem, happens all the time to various Fords apparently.
So, now considering taking to a 3rd party for 4-wheel laser alignment. See what comes back!
Goodyear f1 ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.