Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mk2 sabre stage 2
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car mapped a few months ago by Sabre. Im Very happy with the results 326bhp 390ftlb, but my age is starting to show and the open airfilter noise is starring to grate on me for long journeys.

My question is will i loose power by changing it for a cais and will i need it remapping for a filter change?

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,150 Posts
RS airbox is a good alternative, to cais with the option of more noise occasionally with the correct K&N airfilter choice if you wish .

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Yes Phill is right ..For a more factory tidy look and of course smoother acceleration and drive this is an amazing set up indeed ..Yes it can be a lil more expensive compared to other cheaper set ups but it works perfectly and of course can handle 300bhp upwards easily especially using the Mountune lid .

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,114 Posts
If the car was custom mapped by Sabre then switching the induction kit may have a bigger impact - as the tune will be more tailored to your specific hardware. It'd be sensible to give Sabre a quick call and get their view before making changes if you want to be 100%.

RS airbox does look the most factory though and should give a good balance of noise and performance.

One question though - what about the open cone is grating?

·
Premium Member
Mk2 sabre stage 2
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your comments. The constant wooshing noise on the motorway as the road rises and puts load on the engine is starting to get on my nerves. I can cope with it around town but i do a lot of motorway driving .

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,415 Posts
I have the RS airbox, it is virtually identical sound to the stock airbox, when the bonnet is shut, I’m not an RS wannabe, so I fitted one of these conversions.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Nice and cheap lid from here, it fits directly to the standard box.

·
Premium Member
MK3
46 Posts
I've had a Sabre stage 2 remap, and I'm using the standard air box with a Mountune CAIS & K+N 57s air filter and a Velossatech 'Big Mouth' ram air snorkel. Importantly (well I think so) is to put the bung in the end of the filter to stop the irritating 'whoosing' noise. I also think it's beneficial to have the standard ST enclosed air box plus bung (supplied with the filter) to avoid drawing in hot air from under the bonnet. Cooler, denser air provides a better charge.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
The RS box doesn’t draw warm air in from the engine bay, as it seals against the bonnet when closed, that’s why it is taller than the standard box lid.

·
Premium Member
MK3
46 Posts
The RS box doesn’t draw warm air in from the engine bay, as it seals against the bonnet when closed, that’s why it is taller than the standard box lid.
That's as maybe, but let's not overlook the big open slot on the front of the RS item. I'm pretty sure some warm/hot air will be drawn in via this aperture.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Yeah I’ve just realised the ops car is a mk2, on the mk3 the slot is right in front of the slam panel where it draws in air from the font, the mk2 will have it inside the bay, so the closed lid will be indeed better.

·
Premium Member
Mk2 sabre stage 2
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok thanks to everyone that has comented and the pictures are very helpful. Can you buy the airboxs new or maybe a silly question is the mk3 bottom half the same?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts