Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the government in there wisdom has decided to remove the requirements for a separate test in order to tow a trailer or caravan up to 3500 kg mam, as someone who has taken this test a few years ago I’m not impressed! That may be sour grapes on my part having forked out the best part of £700 for the lessons and test but it was introduced for a reason! I guess now we will be stuck behind people incapable of manoeuvring a vehicle that they have no experience of driving! Let’s hope they don’t have to back up in a narrow lane after taking a wrong turn 🤦🏻‍♂️The test wasn’t rocket science but the pass rate wasn’t that high so clearly there were lots of people even after training that couldn’t achieve the standard to safely drive with a trailer, but no matter within a couple of weeks they can!!

what are other peoples views on this?

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,509 Posts
Well luckily I’m old, so never had to take a test on trailers anyway, but it is a bit of a cheek when people have shelled out like you, we have bad enough drivers on the roads as it is, even without trailers in the mix.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
That's good news for me as I was meaning to do my test. The bad part is I recently bought a caravan that's got my mam bang on 3500. If I'd have known this I would have held off and it would have gave me alot more options on what I could buy.

Also looking at getting the missus a bigger car but again that would have increased my mam so with these changed it'll be fine now.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
The ST’s aren’t homologated to tow anything anyway. 😁

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st and a retro Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,763 Posts
I guess now we will be stuck behind people incapable of manoeuvring a vehicle that they have no experience of driving! Let’s hope they don’t have to back up in a narrow lane after taking a wrong turn 🤦🏻‍♂️
Wasn't that the case anyway? The amount of people tested or not dragging **** around that have no idea what they're doing is ridiculous .

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair point, well I guess we will just have more of them now then!! Perhaps if they just lower the speed limits further then everyone will be safer so who needs training! So much for the drive to increase standards on the road,

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,610 Posts
My company put me through the test just before lockdown...

I would assume part of the reason that there's not a very high pass rate is because it's basically a normal driving test and people's standards are not that good...

I've heard something about this making it harder to drive in Europe as well... And I'm not sure what they really think the benefits of doing this is... If they really need to free up examiners for other tests, just restrict how many of these tests can be booked 🤷

As said there's enough bad driving on the road I don't see that realistically causing huge problems on top of the way things already are.

But if my car gets damaged by home idiot buying a twin axle and having no idea about how it handles because of this, I think I will be looking into suing the government. I'm not one for that normally but I'm not in the best pleased with any of our interactions so far and the way I see it it would be directly their fault...

Plus one of the people I was speaking to at the government actually said the only way I can talk to some who could help is if I sue. God help us when that's the government in charge of these decisions.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
You have to think those that passed their test pre 1997 could tow a trailer without the need for a test as well. Realistically i think a lot of people already tow when they don't have a license because let's be honest, how are the police going to know if you had passed a b+e test unless you're driving like an absoloute lunatic whilst towing something, and they pull you over to check. It's the same with motorbikes, a lot of people do the restricted license for up to 600cc i think it is but theyt drive around on whatever they like because unless the police specifically check for any restrictions they wont be any wiser

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
1,019 Posts
You have to think those that passed their test pre 1997 could tow a trailer without the need for a test as well. Realistically i think a lot of people already tow when they don't have a license because let's be honest, how are the police going to know if you had passed a b+e test unless you're driving like an absoloute lunatic whilst towing something, and they pull you over to check. It's the same with motorbikes, a lot of people do the restricted license for up to 600cc i think it is but theyt drive around on whatever they like because unless the police specifically check for any restrictions they wont be any wiser
it’s 35kw or 47bhp it doesn’t matter on engine size 👍

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
it’s 35kw or 47bhp it doesn’t matter on engine size 👍
I knew there was some restriction. Either way the principle still stands. There are people who have a restricted license that drive whatever bike they want because nobody is going to know

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
1,019 Posts
I knew there was some restriction. Either way the principle still stands. There are people who have a restricted license that drive whatever bike they want because nobody is going to know
you can’t get insured unless you prove you’re over 24 or have had your license for 2 years, so they won’t be insured either

·
Registered
383 Posts
app its to ease the hgv driving test, which there ****ing im mean shaking up

no reverse section and no double tier just give joe bloggs a massive lorry and no experience

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
you can’t get insured unless you prove you’re over 24 or have had your license for 2 years, so they won’t be insured either
the vast majority who do it just insure a bike with a restrictor on and then remove the restrictor.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
app its to ease the hgv driving test, which there ****ing im mean shaking up

no reverse section and no double tier just give joe bloggs a massive lorry and no experience
Well sixteen year old kids can drive massive tractor, yet they can’t drive a little car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts