Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to start today after a week of standing and nothing no dash lights or anything tried to jump start and still nothing no dash lights or anything,i turned the headlights on and they worked so can the problem be the battery or something else

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Try charging the battery. We have found that a ST will run its battery flat quite quickly with the alarm on.

Jumping will not always work if the battery is totally flat.

Also check that the main fuses (at the back of the upper fuse box)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called out RAC they checked battery and fuses still nothing they say it is a module problem which will need to be checked at ford dealer so car has been taken to jennings ford i hpe it does not work out expensive as it is 7 days out of warranty

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Called dealer today and they are saying all electrics ok apart from instrument cluster and the radio this was caused by me trying to jump start the car and causing a short blowing the cluster,apprantly the car went into immoblised mode due to standing and the cold weather.So i need a new cluster at a cost of £680 approx then the radio at £500 approx plus labour.What a bad end to 2009 hope things improve next year.
When the new cluster goes in will they reset it to the original mileage as it only has 16500 mls on i can prove this as the car was mot on the wed and parked up on the drive and never moved.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've jumped the battery once in the past. All was fine luckily. After reading posts on here I won't be doing it again!

What's the proper way to do it then?

Chris

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, what an expensive end to 2009. I hope it all gets sorted OK for you.

QUOTE(Orange Man @ 31 Dec 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lesson there for all of us,start regular in the winter and DON'T jump start hopefully next year will be better

I'm just about to go out for a drive now as I can't remember the last time I drove my car - wish me luck

ETA: Thankfully mine started with no problems and I went for a lovely drive

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(Glenster @ 31 Dec 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sheeeeet thats bad! id be getting a second opinion from somewhere tho, seems a hell of a lot of money for a jump start gone wrong!

Im glad i have homestart with my breakdown!!

Ah good point! I have that too

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
QUOTE(Glenster @ 31 Dec 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sheeeeet thats bad! id be getting a second opinion from somewhere tho, seems a hell of a lot of money for a jump start gone wrong!

Im glad i have homestart with my breakdown!!

Wouldn't have thought jump starting would have created a short
and what good are fuses if you managed to blow the radio and the cluster? Glenster gave you some good advice there.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have seen jumpstarts that have went wrong cost a couple of grand to fix, what usually happens is people put the leads on two cars, start the car with the good battery in it, start the car with the bad battery in it, then remove the leads without loading the two cars up. when you diconnect the jumpleads is sends out a massive power surge, that in some cases frys lots of expensive stuff...

Even worse if your jumping someone elses car and it ends up being your car that gets fried.

If you must jump start cars best thing to do is get a set of leads with built in surge protecters.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 31 Dec 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have seen jumpstarts that have went wrong cost a couple of grand to fix, what usually happens is people put the leads on two cars, start the car with the good battery in it, start the car with the bad battery in it, then remove the leads without loading the two cars up. when you diconnect the jumpleads is sends out a massive power surge, that in some cases frys lots of expensive stuff...

Even worse if your jumping someone elses car and it ends up being your car that gets fried.

If you must jump start cars best thing to do is get a set of leads with built in surge protecters.

What do you mean by loading the two cars?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You need to load up both the cars electrically before removing the jump leads.

Usually i switch on the headlights and heated rear screens.

By loading up both cars the chances of a surge/spike are greatly reduced.

Bosch did a leaflet on this very subject a while back, I was at one of there seminars and this problem with surges/spikes is very common.

If i can find the leaflet info online, i will post it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.