Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i checked the car over yesterday i noticed the anti-freeze was low (about the min line) so i topped it up.
When i checked it again today it was low again, almost at the low line. However the temp gauge is still at the normal mark.

What could be causing this? im thinking the radiator is kaput.

Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Davo, how long have you had the car? its possible that whoever had it before had a leak or some work done on the cooling system and it wasnt bled properly, so the change in level may be from air bubbles getting displaced.... If not, then its likely you have a leak. You should be able to see it if its on the radiator etc as the antifreeze will leave a white powdery residue where it drys, marking the leak fairly well. Also check the dipstick / cam cover for mayo, its possible it could be a head gasket failure but thats VERY unlikely IMHO... more likely a leak somewhere.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(davo1983 @ 21 Dec 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When i checked the car over yesterday i noticed the anti-freeze was low (about the min line) so i topped it up.
When i checked it again today it was low again, almost at the low line. However the temp gauge is still at the normal mark.

What could be causing this? im thinking the radiator is kaput.

Whats your thoughts?

Have you noticed any misfire when cold? or white smoke? hope it is just a leak .

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thaks for replies guys, ive had the car since new so theres no work been done that i dont know about.

Ive not noticed any misfiring or white smoke
however there has been LOADS of pops and bangs recently.

The cars in on wednesday for its 3rd service so its being checked out then also, ill post back up when i find out what the cause is.

Fingers crossed its just a leak and not a crack in the block

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the car has been back a few days now after the service and there is no more loss of anti-freeze, it was a leak on some pipe, mechanic said it was noticeable on a pipe that was like a junction of a few pipes but couldnt actually trace the hole. He put in some stuff called "K Seal" it finds the leak and blocks the hole. So it seems like its done the trick for now

Not an expensive fix after all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
not wanting to send you paranoid mate but that k-seal stuff or any additive is no good its not only putting a plaster over the real problem is also wont do the heater matrix or flow through the rad,thermostat/water pump any good at all. flush that stuff out best you can and find the real problem.

in a 500 quid car yeah by all means use it but on a 10k plus car ??

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
QUOTE(davo1983 @ 27 Dec 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it was a leak on some pipe, mechanic said it was noticeable on a pipe that was like a junction of a few pipes but couldnt actually trace the hole.

Not an expensive fix after all.

sounds like what happened to mine
if your car is still under warranty i would want it fixing right, not a tempory fix

when mine was done they replaced the whole set of pipes around the water pump iirc

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(jonn @ 27 Dec 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sounds like what happened to mine
if your car is still under warranty i would want it fixing right, not a tempory fix

when mine was done they replaced the whole set of pipes around the water pump iirc

My car is still under warranty, however with the mods ive done will Ford fix this under warranty or just tell me where to go.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the leak is still here
got it booked into Ford in the morning to hopefully be fixed once and for all. Fingers crossed it will be done under warranty.
Ill be back with the outcome once i get the car back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts