Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok just playign with some bits i had from a old car my problem is where to mount my 7" touch screen for my car pc any ideas anyone else done this?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(LiamX8 @ 20 Jan 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ok just playign with some bits i had from a old car my problem is where to mount my 7" touch screen for my car pc any ideas anyone else done this?

Flirted with the idea a while back. Was considring PC under seat or in boot and either
1. double din HU with touchscreen and vga in
2. put a dropdown monitor on the roof lining.

Neither of which ever materialised.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(davechci @ 20 Jan 2010, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was considering PC under seat or in boot

Mini-itx in a voom-pc housing fits nice and snug in the boot. Might just shave a bit off either side before final fitment. Just got to route my wires and also find a place for the touchscreen.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have used a laptop computer which i have attacked with the soldering iron converted it to run right of the 12volts of the car and added a external power switch.... i have got it computer and touch screen uses 5amps
just the problem of mounting the touch screen i thought about the visor also post pics anyone that has done it
p.s glad im not the only saddo hehe

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTE(LiamX8 @ 21 Jan 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have used a laptop computer which i have attacked with the soldering iron converted it to run right of the 12volts of the car and added a external power switch.... i have got it computer and touch screen uses 5amps
just the problem of mounting the touch screen i thought about the visor also post pics anyone that has done it 8) p.s glad im not the only saddo hehe

So Laptop with a remote touch screen? Is that a USB touch screen ? (got any links)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just google LinITX they do all car pc stufff i got a old laptop from work or should i say new old laptop a touchscreen that is usb/vga and then just need to take 2 wires fron inside the laptop from the power switch
(do have to solder them to the circuit board)
to run to a switch in the front still duno where to mount the screen
HELP

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(LiamX8 @ 22 Jan 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just google LinITX they do all car pc stufff i got a old laptop from work or should i say new old laptop a touchscreen that is usb/vga and then just need to take 2 wires fron inside the laptop from the power switch
(do have to solder them to the circuit board)
to run to a switch in the front still duno where to mount the screen
HELP

Putting it on the dash is the obvious choice but I reckon it would look rubbish. If you have the cash maybe try a flipdown overhead screen?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm im tempted with in the visor still intresting to see how much onw would cost...

progress:
fitted it all in tempory and wired it in still havent found a place for the screen tho so just on a wire atm GPS working and internet also sound so i can play music

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Very nice cant wait to see this in and working. Im tempted as Ive got a BT mobile office card from work so internet in the car! Tempting! Has anyone ever posted on the forum from inside their car (not on a laptop, that would be cheating!)??

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Looks like they use the centrafuse software, did a bit of research into car pc's not so long ago. Centafuse is definately the best front end software for a car pc (sits over the top of XP)

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
I did a rudimentary Car PC in one of my earlier cars - using kit from LinITX.

Among other things I had a WLAN card acting as HostAP (i.e. a wireless hotspot) and then a PCMCIA 3G card for bridged internet access.

End result was that people could get into my car, fire up their laptops and browse the web wirelessly like they were in Starbucks. My car was a mobile hotspot.
Obviously, they needed my WPA key to get onto my wireless LAN, but it worked a treat!!

The plan was always movies and music, but I changed the car/priorities before I ever got that far.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

PS --> Also messed about with Centrafuse - nice bit of kit and decent API for extended development. I got halfway through a synchro application that would detect when the car was near my house (i.e. my home WLAN) and auto sync the music/video library on the Car PC HDD with that on my home server. The idea being that I could rip songs/movies to my home media server and they would auto sync with my car. Never got round to finishing it off..........might have to dig that code out again at some point. If I can find it. Those were my late night, pizza eating, mystic code writing days.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(Scott @ 22 Jan 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was looking at this branded setup.
http://www.jkmentertainment.com/Product_G4.aspx

Man that's expensive! GBP1100? I did a quick search on the 'net for parts and it came to under GBP400 for very similar parts. You could probably do under GBP600 for a extremely nice setup and much 'better'.

QUOTE(DaveCHCI @ 22 Jan 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...would love the auto update thing. Very geeky but awesome.

Me too. My NAS box is connected to my wireless router. Pull into the garage and have it check for updated music files. Marvellous.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.