Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi folks - two threads on the go at once. Initial stages of ST ownership so enthusiasm is high 馃榾

When I drive enthusiastically and find myself in a high gear to keep revs up, as I approach a corner and my speed drops I feel the car coughing slightly . It used to be quite aggressive until I replaced the lower engine mount. It's still there but less often and less aggressive. It used to manifest itself as a 'kangaroo' effect. Engine feels strong and sweet and pulls like a train otherwise.

Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
Not sure about your particular problem, sounds fuel related, but if I were you, have a good read up on LSPI, never accelerate in a high gear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding sttwoton. It's not when I accelerate but when I slow down I feel the car spluttering. This sometimes feel like a kangaroo effect. Could this still be lspi?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my naivety has not provided the full and accurate view of my problem. When I said I sit in high gear to keep revs up I meant a low gear ie moving from 5 to 4 to 3 as I come off a slip road. As I sit in 3rd gear and speed and revs are dropping I feel the car caughing and spluttering. It manifests itself as a kangaroo effect. I don't think is LSPI as the revs are high.

I don't accelerate in a high gear but start in 2nd and change to 3rd when revs increase. Any thoughts on why my car is spluttering and is there a tuning fix I need. Could the upper engine mount be causing this?

Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
Your use of the term "spluttering" is the thing that confuses me. It implies a combustion related issue but there is no combustion during deceleration.
Are you perhaps talking about a physical movement of the engine on its mounts? If so, it may be an engine mount issue (most likely torque mount).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be a misfire, spark plugs. Could even be tyre ware or transmission relate.
Spark ugs are.
Could be a misfire, spark plugs. Could even be tyre ware or transmission relate.
That's a good shout about plugs. That said would bad plugs not cause splutter on acceleration not just when my take my foot of the fast pedal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I am worried at the lack of common awareness of this issue. This would suggest it's just my Focus ST doing this ..... Which isnt great. I think I may have made my symptoms too complicated. In simple terms of I accelerate in 3rd then come of the had the engineer splutters. The effect can feel like the car doing the kangaroo effect.

I will try to capture it on video asap.

Premium Member
Could be an issue with the catalytic converter, engine no breathing proper, exhaust back pressure too great.
Consider that even when you lift off the accelerator the turbo is still spinning, which should result in an exhaust pop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts