Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Back in the saddle!
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

2007 mk2 focus st 400bhp by pumabuild.

A few days ago I was driving about 10 minutes and the engine cut out with most of the lights popping up on the dash and the display showing esp and fault engine.
Luckily, I managed to move the car onto the side of the road.

I took the keys out of the ignition for a couple of minutes and tried to start the car but nothing happened, I did hear this odd humm maybe for a second every time I tried to start the car.
I then looked under the bonnet and checked the oil because last time similar events took place my head gasket failed, anyway the oil was ok and I didn't see anything unusual.

I decided to google and see if I could find answers? I came across someone with similar issues, and his fix was to remove fuse 26 and reset it. Yet the car failed to start!!

By now AA turned up and tried to read the fault codes, except he said the PCM is not working so he couldn't read anything.
His next suggestion was to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, but still couldn't start the car!!!!
He noticed on the dash the immobilizer light was flashing and thought my key was at fault, but after inspecting the key he didn't find anything wrong.
The AA mechanic mentioned that the flashes mean something??

I sent a message to Alan at pumabuild, and he asked me to record the flashes and send it to him. He told me he counted 16 flashes and said the ECU is fuked.

Since the car wouldn't move, and I have to wait a long time for AA to send a flatbed, I got a taxi home.
Around 8 hours later, the flat bed turned up.
But then something strange happened !! Whilst the flatbed was getting into position, I tried to start the car, and it started.
So now I still have loads of lights on the dash, but this time the message on the little LCD screen said limp mode. The car was driveable, but I barely had any power.

No one could explain how this happened, and I was able to drive the car home.
Now that my car is in the driveway, I took the keys out and tried to start the car again, but as before, nothing worked.

Another AA mechanic turned up, and we still got nothing from the PCM, but he told me he's seen this problem before in mk2 focuses and told me if you hit above the dash the dodgy connection could turn off all the errors, but nothing happened.
He then said take out the dash and sent if for repair because the problem is caused by a loose connection and needs to get re-soldered.

I did all of this and fitted the dash back together, and yet it did nothing. The lights and messages still showed up on the dash.

That's it, I have no idea what happened or how it happened? If Alan is right, why would the ECU just stop like that? There's no water or damage to the ECU.

Can anyone help me please?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I would ring else where mate, alan at pumabuild is a di*k and just says anything to make money. Try collin at collins performance or try pumaspeed.

I would also check your battery and connections coming from it and the ECU.

·
Back in the saddle!
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would ring else where mate, alan at pumabuild is a di*k and just says anything to make money. Try collin at collins performance or try pumaspeed.

I would also check your battery and connections coming from it and the ECU.
Alan takes far too long to do anything!!

I think the battery connections are ok?? Because everything works except the PCM
I'm no expert but if there's no power to the ECU then surly lights wouldn't show right?

I wish I could read the fault codes !!!

Adam did say it would cost £300 to fix the ecu, he also said he's 90% sure it's the ecu

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Alan takes far too long to do anything!!

I think the battery connections are ok?? Because everything works except the PCM
I'm no expert but if there's no power to the ECU then surly lights wouldn't show right?

I wish I could read the fault codes !!!

Adam did say it would cost £300 to fix the ecu, he also said he's 90% sure it's the ecu
He tried the ECU thing with me, trying to sell what i did not need. I've unplugged my ECU and still had lights on the dash and got the red light flashing.

If i was you i would get a mobile mechanic out that can check your st (not all can) and get them to have a look. It will be cheaper for you and i'm sure they will find the fault with out stupid guesses from alan and his cronies.

Reactions: kenny_st

·
Registered
CP320
1,897 Posts
Hi all

2007 mk2 focus st 400bhp by pumabuild.

A few days ago I was driving about 10 minutes and the engine cut out with most of the lights popping up on the dash and the display showing esp and fault engine.
Luckily, I managed to move the car onto the side of the road.

I took the keys out of the ignition for a couple of minutes and tried to start the car but nothing happened, I did hear this odd humm maybe for a second every time I tried to start the car.
I then looked under the bonnet and checked the oil because last time similar events took place my head gasket failed, anyway the oil was ok and I didn't see anything unusual.

I decided to google and see if I could find answers? I came across someone with similar issues, and his fix was to remove fuse 26 and reset it. Yet the car failed to start!!

By now AA turned up and tried to read the fault codes, except he said the PCM is not working so he couldn't read anything.
His next suggestion was to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, but still couldn't start the car!!!!
He noticed on the dash the immobilizer light was flashing and thought my key was at fault, but after inspecting the key he didn't find anything wrong.
The AA mechanic mentioned that the flashes mean something??

I sent a message to Alan at pumabuild, and he asked me to record the flashes and send it to him. He told me he counted 16 flashes and said the ECU is fuked.

Since the car wouldn't move, and I have to wait a long time for AA to send a flatbed, I got a taxi home.
Around 8 hours later, the flat bed turned up.
But then something strange happened !! Whilst the flatbed was getting into position, I tried to start the car, and it started.
So now I still have loads of lights on the dash, but this time the message on the little LCD screen said limp mode. The car was driveable, but I barely had any power.

No one could explain how this happened, and I was able to drive the car home.
Now that my car is in the driveway, I took the keys out and tried to start the car again, but as before, nothing worked.

Another AA mechanic turned up, and we still got nothing from the PCM, but he told me he's seen this problem before in mk2 focuses and told me if you hit above the dash the dodgy connection could turn off all the errors, but nothing happened.
He then said take out the dash and sent if for repair because the problem is caused by a loose connection and needs to get re-soldered.

I did all of this and fitted the dash back together, and yet it did nothing. The lights and messages still showed up on the dash.

That's it, I have no idea what happened or how it happened? If Alan is right, why would the ECU just stop like that? There's no water or damage to the ECU.

Can anyone help me please?
Where did you send the cluster for repair?

·
Registered
ST 2
9 Posts
Mine did a similar thing. Was the instrument cluster. Sent it off to ECU testing and they diagnosed it was indeed that that was causing the lights and cutting out etc. cost just under £200 with postage and VAT etc. has a lifetime warranty and took 5 working days. Sent off Monday got it back Friday. Was easy to remove as well.

·
Back in the saddle!
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He tried the ECU thing with me, trying to sell what i did not need. I've unplugged my ECU and still had lights on the dash and got the red light flashing.

If i was you i would get a mobile mechanic out that can check your st (not all can) and get them to have a look. It will be cheaper for you and i'm sure they will find the fault with out stupid guesses from alan and his cronies.
what was your issue that made you unplug the ecu ?

·
Back in the saddle!
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine did a similar thing. Was the instrument cluster. Sent it off to ECU testing and they diagnosed it was indeed that that was causing the lights and cutting out etc. cost just under £200 with postage and VAT etc. has a lifetime warranty and took 5 working days. Sent off Monday got it back Friday. Was easy to remove as well.
Do you remember what the fault was exactly?? And did your PCM work after the repair

My cluster plug on the back was re-soldered, it didn't change anything.
From my visual inspection, I didn't see any noticeable on the cluster's main board.

I forgot I had this, as you can see the plug was just re-seated
Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Font Line

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
And that caused most of the lights to come on the dash ? And warning messages on LED display??

If it did, I will evaluate the key
It did for sure, a kind member on here said about it and to my surprise they was right, its a very tiny black chip.

Did they test your cluster or just resoldered the plug pins?

·
Registered
ST 2
9 Posts
I started getting messages such as engine management fault, power steering messages. Then it started intermittently cutting off and not starting again for a while with the engine fault message. It did it twice before I just sent the cluster off. My mechanic scanned for codes first and it was all clear so he said it was the cluster. Once Ecu testing got it they ran their tests and said it was indeed faulty. Been back in the car for over a month and I’ve not had any issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,239 Posts
Where did you send the cluster for repair?
I've been recommended by a mechanic friend to use bba reman and will be sending my clocks to them when I get the chance to hopefully prevent having a problem like this. Apparently if you send them ECU and other bits they'll go through the whole lot, but they seemed confident in what my problem is and only want the clocks. Time will tell when I get around to using them for my case but might be worth a call.
AA did test the battery and alternator and told me it was good.
AA tested my battery and said it was good, gave it a good charge and next morning was flat again. I would hope they don't always get it wrong but wouldn't take it as gospel that what they say is right.

·
Registered
2007 3dr Focus ST performance blue
41 Posts
You have a bad ground or power issue at ecu.

The intermittent functionality of the ecu its the key. The red light will flash whenever the ecu is unresponsive.

How long it passed since the rebuild/last had the car at a garage for engine work ?

·
Back in the saddle!
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been recommended by a mechanic friend to use bba reman and will be sending my clocks to them when I get the chance to hopefully prevent having a problem like this. Apparently if you send them ECU and other bits they'll go through the whole lot, but they seemed confident in what my problem is and only want the clocks. Time will tell when I get around to using them for my case but might be worth a call.

Thanks for letting me know about bba reman, but can you please post their full link? Seems googling bba reman comes up with loads of different companies.

·
Back in the saddle!
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I started getting messages such as engine management fault, power steering messages. Then it started intermittently cutting off and not starting again for a while with the engine fault message. It did it twice before I just sent the cluster off. My mechanic scanned for codes first and it was all clear so he said it was the cluster. Once Ecu testing got it they ran their tests and said it was indeed faulty. Been back in the car for over a month and I’ve not had any issues whatsoever.
I still can't read the PCM (I brought a cheap-ish OBD2 Scanner) but i don't know what's stopping me reading codes? Is it the cluster or ecu?
I do kind remember months ago when I started the car I had no power steering, but a quick restart fixed that, and it's been fine until this issue, so I never gave it a second thought.
Today I went to check the cables in the engine bay and noticed my battery is flat.....seriously WTF !!! I hope i don't have a parasite.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts