Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Couldnt find answer on here anywhere - maybe because question is very stupid? But dont want to make another stupid petrol thread but.....

to cut shot - Got ST second hand, its always used normal unleaded (06 plate), can i put ultimate straight in? Or should i drain fuel tank first? run it down or what? etc etc?
Also whats the real benefit of the extra 10p a ltr?

Thanks R

·
Registered
81 Posts
The ST has an adaptive learning ECU, running on better than 95 ron will allow more spark advance which increases overall power throughout the rev range. Don't expect your first tank to show these improvements, infact you may never notice the power increase at all as it happens progressively but the car should feel smoother to drive.

Your more likley to feel the difference going from 99ron to 95 as the Ecu will pick up knock and reduce timing to keep things safe.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Run the existing tank down low to start with so you dont dilute the super.. Then pull the KAM fuse to let the ECU relearn straight away...

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(RickST @ 9 Feb 2010, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>erm.... howd i do that?

fuse no 26 undr the bonnet mate. take it out for an hour and it will wipe the memory. wont do any harm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great stuff! Glad i asked all this now otherwsie id have a half and half tank swishing round like beer and curry on the jog home cause your cold!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Extra 10p a litre. Sack that, get yourself to Tesco and get Tesco 99 for 4p extra

Every little helps

·
Registered
246 Posts
i run mine on regular with no ill effects still making over 300 bhp so why pay an extra 10p a liter
think of all the extra fun miles you can get for the same price
for a 1-2%gain gain in power (allegedly) why pay more

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE(reckless st @ 9 Feb 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i run mine on regular with no ill effects still making over 300 bhp so why pay an extra 10p a liter
think of all the extra fun miles you can get for the same price
for a 1-2%gain gain in power (allegedly) why pay more

You also get more miles to the gallon so whilst it costs more you do get slightly further so balances out i think.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have run both types of fuel in my ST and my Subaru and to be honnest i have never noticed a difference. Maybe if Tescos near me sold 99RON i might buy it more often

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE(theboy @ 9 Feb 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have run both types of fuel in my ST and my Subaru and to be honnest i have never noticed a difference. Maybe if Tescos near me sold 99RON i might buy it more often

Impreza? Import? 95ron? = recipie for disaster. The newer STI's with AVACS not so much but the older versions esspcially the classic are VERY picky when it comes to fuel. Imprezas do not respond well to det which is what you get on 95ron. Get some det cans and go for a drive, if you dont know what DET sounds like you will after 10mins. (speaking as an engine mapper)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(theboy @ 9 Feb 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have run both types of fuel in my ST and my Subaru and to be honnest i have never noticed a difference. Maybe if Tescos near me sold 99RON i might buy it more often
My Impreza ran like a sack of
when I mistakenly put Belgian (95RON) VPower in it...

·
Registered
437 Posts
well my tank is just about empty, been running on the normal stuff for ages now. Going to try filling up with the more expensive stuff and reset the ecu. Will let you know if i notice any differnece

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(InNEs @ 9 Feb 2010, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well my tank is just about empty, been running on the normal stuff for ages now. Going to try filling up with the more expensive stuff and reset the ecu. Will let you know if i notice any differnece

Same here, although people have said that it may take a couple of tanks worth :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
i use 99ron, had a couple tanks for normal fired in the car when i 1st got it but ran super since. wouldnt change back better mpg and the car seemed more willing. defo wouldnt go back now ive remaped it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I always used super in the Focus until I moved to Shetland and unfortunately they don't sell it up here (normal stuff is £1.25 a litre anyway). Have noticed a slight difference in pick up, but not much and unless you're really going for it, it's not obvious. That said, the extra pennies per litre really do pay for themselves are far as mpg goes. If I could buy it up here, I would.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts