Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday was going completely to plan until about 4.30 when suddenly it starting snow like a flo-mo. A quick skippidy into the car and I was on my way home, a 10 mile journey that takes in back roads that tend to be very busy as they are a good cut through.

The Journey
I got 500 yards down the road and stopped, traffic was already backed up for the massive roundabout about a mile up the road, and there I queued for an hour, I was hoping to miss the rush-hour but it seems everyone saw the snow and legged it. Once off the roundabout and down my back roads, things went well. The road leads through a village and end the other side there is a whopping 90degree corner that, even when clear, takes a few victims. Today though, it had taken about 7 or 8 cars in the same crash. Road well and truly blocked. No problem I figured, I only need about a mile detour to get back on to where I want to be. Going up this second route requires going up a mahoosively steep hill that's very narrow. Yup, you guess it, the
could not get up that hill to save its life. I had one option left, and it was my final one and required a 10 mile detour and by now it's already 6.30 and had been snowing heavily the whole time. I gingerly made my way out towards the main road and was met with gridlock, it seems some people just don't know what to do in snow but still feel the need to try to drive in it. It took me an hour to do an entire 2 miles into town. Luckily though, once into town the roads were fairly well driven on and clear and I was away, 40mph no problem. About 2 miles away from home, I have to turn off the main road and it was like turning into a snow drift and up ahead, all I can see is flashing orange lights. Another crash, and by the looks of it, even more cars involved. Road well and truly BLOCKED. I stashed the car under a tree on some random busniess's driveway and made a call home.
"Yeah, I've had to ditch the car, I'll be back eventually."
"Oh well, hang on, your brother is at the S bend helping all those that failed to get down or up it properly with the plough, he can pick you up"
"Yeah cool, I can see there's been a crash. See ya soon."
So my brother comes along on the plough, it's nothing special, just our lawn mower with a plough attachment, it tops out at about 7mph and I'm still 1.5miles from home so I hung around my car to see if I could find anyone to say to them that it was my car and it'll be moved ASAP. No-one was in the place and by the time I gave up, my brother had arrived and as we were discussing the evenings events, what drives passed? A green
. He seemed to be enjoying it and I gave him a big thumbsup. It turns out he had offered my dad a lift to the end of the road so if that's anyone lurking around here and was near Waddesdon and the A41 last night, that was my
parked up

The Evening
I eventually rolled in through the door, car-less, at about 8.30. Dinner was ready thankfully but as it had prepared earlier in the hope I'd get back earlier, the spaghetti was pants and I had to throw half of it away, thank god we had monster munch
In need of some relaxing, I thought it was time for time GTA on the xbox. So I turned the baby on and then realised I've left it plugged into the wrong TV - doh. A quick swapsies over and it was ready to go on the proper TV. Power on. *jerk*squeak*urck*pause* FLASHING RED RING OF DEATH. After a few off and ons with no luck, I pulled the whole lot out and let the power adapter totally drain all its power out. Then I tried again. SUCCESS, GREEN LIGHTS. It loads to the dashboard and I go to start my game of GTA. Then the power goes out. The house is in total darkness. Was it my xbox that just took out an entire power grid?? (The neighbours were plunged into darkness as well) Was it all coincidence? Who knows, but one things for certain I now had no xbox, no TV, no compootar, no interwebs, no heating. But we still had water. About an hour after the power went out, it flickers back into life and the water softener starts to replenish. Then the power trips out again, but this time the water softener is stuck on "drain" and it merrily drains all our water out. Now we can't even flush the loo. Cold and well and truly beaten, I stumble into a freezing bed in the hope of making through the night ... It wasn't until about 9.30 that we eventually got our electricity back.

So that was my totally uneventful day, how did it go for everyone else??

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
poor you you have a right time of it. I tend to just stay in with my pjs on then nothing like that happens to me

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Not good at all mate, hope things pick up for you!

I'm still upset over cracking the lower part of my front bumper on a grass verge in the snow, my blemish-free ST is now blemished

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare. I was going to add that it took me an hour to get out of the car park in Tesco's Basildon and then the final part of my journey (0.5 mile road at the most) took 30 mins. Still, i sat and watched a few episodes of family guy on the iphone playing through the stereo so not all bad. Bring on some sunshine!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's things like this that make my choice of car make sense....... the
hasn't been out since it snowed on friday and i've had to come work in the wives cilo..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well it took me 7 Hours to get from Aylesbury to St Albans (30 miles) which is usually 45 mins. left at 4:50 got home at midnight.

to say i was
off was an understatement.

and today i havent gone in because the A41 is closed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It took me 3 hours to travel 1 mile on the A33 in Reading, in the end gave up and dumped the
back at work and walked home, which took 2 hours!!! It was like a ghost town around my way when I got home, no could get up the hills!!! so glad I left my
at work rather then damping it somewhere at a bottom of a hill!

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(Shaun1979 @ 22 Dec 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's things like this that make my choice of car make sense....... the
hasn't been out since it snowed on friday and i've had to come work in the wives cilo..

I have used the car in the thick snow, ice, motorways etc since the heavy downfall last week and I cannot fault mine in ANY way!

Laura has driven it to her parents today in Northampton as well as well as Cambridge & back on Saturday night in heavy snow.

I can honestly say that its been truly awesome in the bad weather. It just ticks yet another box on the long list. Thank you Ford / Volvo

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
All I can say is im glad I dont have my ST in this weather! It really struggled last winter, the dirty diesel copes much much better.

My yesterday seems much better than most, I managed to get home from work in 10mins last night, left my car at my parents so I didnt have to de-ice it this morning and got the boyf to pick me up in the off roader on his way past from work.......LOVE the off roader in this weather!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
No cant beat that, but I did spend 1.5 hours driving into work yesterday to find that 2 people who lived half as far away as me with much better snow cars had rang in saying they were stuck at home, wtf!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Crikey you had a terrible day i thought mine was bad, having to sit in a mess cabin for 7.5 hours as my employers wouldnt let us on site. Hopefully today ran a little smoother for you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I to had a bit of a day yesterday. Got stuck for 3 hours with a number of other vehicles trying to get up a hill 50 miles from home. Most other routs were closed or worse than this route. Could not go back as the hill I came down was just as impossible to get back up. While I was contemplating my options I watched a vectra, Mondeo estate, VW polo and an old Ford transit amongst various 4 x 4's make it up the hill. Eventually it was me and an Audi A5 that were stuck at the bottom. I put it down to the fancy electronics of the car, the ESP/traction control being more of a hindrance in this particular scenario. When you are looking for a bit of controlled wheelspin to fight for some grip the electronics take over and cut it. Less advanced vehicles without any fancy gizmo's were able to get to top without any assistance.
I eventually let 5 or 6 psi out the front tyres to try get a bit more purchase on the compacted snow and took a run at the hill and with a bit of a push 3/4 of way up from some lads that came down to offer assistance, I made it to top.
If extreme conditions like occurred more than a handful of days a year, as much as I love the ST I would seriously consider swapping it for some type of 4 x 4 vehicle, as I never want to be in that kind of situation again.
When is this 'Global Warming' going to start?

General bad road conditions and the ST was great until you hit a compacted snow covered hill, then all you can do is leave it at the bottom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poor you. Not sure if I did the sensible thing by getting my ST three weeks ago considering I had a jeep previously, but I couldn't wait!! Luckily enough my hubby has a jeep and he's been driving me about. I got caught out in the snow the other day in my ST and haven't driven it since, too scared!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
A41 was a nightmare last night as well for me last night, left Pinner North London from a meeting as I could see that the rain was turning to snow so decided to make my way home in my Leon FR. All was going OK just the usual sort of traffic and by the time I hit the 41 off the M25 heading to Aylesbury it was starting to get a bit heavier but the road was OK and people were driving sensibly.

Then we came to a stop aout 2 mile from home and after an Ambulance going passed though it might just be an accident so was patient and waited and we slowly started making some ground and then the half mile marker for my junction was round the corner but traffic moving very slowly. As we started to move I then understood why, the hill had basically turned into sheet ice and everyone was srtuggling to get up. Left a gap and got going in 2nd no problems and just kept it going then disaster happened, lost traction and couldn't get going again at all.

Few people were out on the hill helping cars get up and I would make progress and then stop again, everyone was giving me advice on keep it 2nd blah blah blah, which I knew but the car would not get traction. Its the diesel version and the torque is pretty good at low revs but the suspension is fairly firm to say the leaset which probably was not helping.

We got to the slip road and finally got home after 5 and haf hours, which considering a friends girlfriend had to abandon the car on the A41 last night I felt I got away with it.

The missus won't be using the ST too much but hopefully will be better than the Leon on the white stuff

·
Registered
79 Posts
You certainly had an eventful day! I haven't driven the ST since last Thursday, relying on my trusty old focus 1.8 which is now my wifes car to get about. A journey that would normally take half an hour took us four hours yesterday! Drove 2 miles in 3 hours. We have got to do the journey every day this week to help some friends out, which i wouldn't mind in normal weather.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad to hear everyone else has been having lots of fun in the snow and no casulties yet, physical or metalic

I collected my motor yesterday and it was not happy with me at all. Having left it under a tree meant it got poo'd on and one bit of it landed on the parking sensor so when I went to reverse, it flatlined

I've stolen my brother's xbox's power supply and mine seems to be ok now so hopefully it won't need replacing. So in all a far more successful day yesterday than the day before

1 - 20 of 20 Posts