Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if lowering the
has an effect on the camber of the wheels.
My Ford dealer has told me that my rear tyres are starting to scallop and its probably because its been lowered and the camber will be out.
I had a 4 wheel alignment done after having it lowered and have never had any problems with it.

Can the camber be adjusted or his he talking
?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Camber is bound to be more (wont talk about degrees but like an inverted V) because it is lower, so id expect the inside of the wheels would wear more.

According to Haynes book (although doesnt cover ST is still pretty much the same for a Focus) says -

F: camber is adjustable on the front (although im not sure where as I done my springs myself), obviously toe-in is
Back: Camber is not adjustable and toe-in is via a bolt on each side

Can get more details if you want but as youve already had alignment why bother.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(DeanST @ 20 Jan 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Camber is bound to be more (wont talk about degrees but like an inverted V) because it is lower, so id expect the inside of the wheels would wear more.

According to Haynes book (although doesnt cover ST is still pretty much the same for a Focus) says -

F: camber is adjustable on the front (although im not sure where as I done my springs myself), obviously toe-in is
Back: Camber is not adjustable and toe-in is via a bolt on each side

Can get more details if you want but as youve already had alignment why bother.
Rear camber is adjustable on the ST. Same on boggo Focus too I'm sure.

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/Adjusting-...068#entry562068

Adjusting the camber bolt at the rear will also have a knock-on effect of altering toe because you're actually movign the wheel hub on an arc due to the rear suspension blade length.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks
good to clear that up have wondered for a while.

Im sure that is what the paragraph in the Haynes books says (although id beleive you and the pic in the other thread). I will have another check its not the first ****up I seen in haynes books.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ok here it is -

chapter 10, setion 20
Wheel alignment and steering angles

front camber is adjusted by slackening the steering knuckle-to-suspension strut mounting bolts and repositioning the hub carrier assemblies as req.

Front wheel toe in .. blah blah by adjusting length of track rod ends (ie tracking)

Rear wheel toe setting adjusted by rotating lateral link front mounting bolt in the chassis. Bolt has an eccentric washer and the pivot point for link varies as bolt rotates

All other suspension settings are set at manafacture and are not adjustable

Special optical kit is req to check and adjust front and rear toe settings and front camber angles.

So definitely no mention of rear camber! Bit
that

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
When lowered there isnt enough movement in the front or rear to get the wheels back to factory settings. Eibach do a £15 bolt kit that will alow you to alter the rears back to standard but the front kit they do is very poor and i would advise against it.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(DeanST @ 21 Jan 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok here it is -

chapter 10, setion 20
Wheel alignment and steering angles

front camber is adjusted by slackening the steering knuckle-to-suspension strut mounting bolts and repositioning the hub carrier assemblies as req.
I can't see this being right, and definitely wasn't a factory adjustment when we were building X-Types which had a very similar Ford sourced front steering and suspension set-up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think whoever goes in next to do a 4 wheel alignment should ask them if they can do etc. I will if I ever get around to it

Should add this haynes book covers 1.4,1.6,1.8,2.0 litre models only

Does not cover 2.5, flexfuel, cvt or powershift tranmission
Does not cover features specific to cmax or CC models

Still thought alignment would be same as ST

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a friend who is service manager at a Toyota main dealership. One of his technicians used to own and tune all manner of fast fords, including cosworths
so i got him to do me a full 4 wheel alignment!

After leaving it with him for an hour, he told me that camber was not adjustable as standard at the rear of the focus
. He did go on to say that he thinks there are after market kits available that enable you to fully set up the rear geometry including camber.

hope this helps

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.
Spoke to the service guys at the Ford dealer in a bit more detail and they said its nothing to worry about really, the only effect it will have if any is that road noise may increase from the tyres as they they get a bit more worn.

Probably won't hear it over the exhaust though

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was told the ST has negative camber anyway and the eibachs do make it worse, for handling reasons apparently. Ill still be getting it done

1 - 12 of 12 Posts