Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not normally one for these kinds of things but i couldnt not help with this one. Basically theres a facebook campaign to knock the xfactor winner off the christmas number oe spot. there are now 770,000 members all buying Rage Against the Machine song killing in the name, its already ahead of the xfactor winner by 10% according to the bbc.

anyway if you want to help please buy a copy from play.com or itunes, its only 65p!

buy here: http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download-Track/4-/6773090/Killing-In-The-Name/Product.html?aid=6771851

facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=2228594104

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
sorry mate no offence meant but i find this kind of thing realy silly ,makes no differance to me whos number 1 at x mas or any time of the year .
if i like the song or artist then i just go out and buy the cd ,dont pay any atention to what others think and dont allow myself to be influenced by this sort of sillyness !!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Have to agree that it's a pointless idea. The couple who started it are sick of Simon Cowell's dominance over the No 1 spot with his X-factor winners which is why they chose to do this.....but the rights to the song they have picked are owned by *drum roll* SIMON COWELL!!!!!!

I really don't care who is at No 1 to be fair and, if I was going to buy any song, I'd buy The Soldiers single so that the money went to charity and not into anyone's pocket.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Normally I don't care who's number one, god knows I pay no attention to the chart.

However....

I do find it a little shameful that the X-Factor winner is basically 'handed' the number one by virtue of winning a televised karaoke competition.

Consequently, I've actually gone and bought a copy on iTunes of 'Killing in the Name of', even though I already own it. For the money it's definitely worth it to try and put someone with an ounce of musical talent at what used to be regarded as the pinnacle of popular music.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
its really struck a cord with me for 2 reasons, i dispise the xfactor firery passion i agree with what sting said on the matter its like televised kareoke secondly the song they've picked happens to be a favourite of mine. its got quite a lot of momentum now which is supprising given the song, that said white noise is better than the dribble that comes out of the xfactor time and time again.

i know from the outside it might seem "silly" to you but i think this kind of direct action is good thing. anyway for 65p its hardly breaking the bank so might as well give it support.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(waito @ 15 Dec 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was, and still is, a great song.Worth 65p even if you already own it.Still dont think it'll make number 1; but would be great if it did.Go on......BUY IT !!!!

ps, there version of Bob Dylan's Maggies farm is superb

agreed, i can't believe its 17 years old it still seams fresh even if its been over played. Dont think i've heard that cover, might give it a listen bit later on

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Never have watched the X Factor, although you have to admit finding Leona Lewis was a fair justification of the program format.

I only ever buy music that I wish to listen to, doing otherwise is daft IMO. The charts represent what is popular, not what is good, and if the X Factor single dominates at this time of year it's because it IS the most popular. I'd just about take it above the vast majority of novelty Xmas singles we have ever had.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Some people have nothing better to do with their time it seems. If it's not people giving a running blog on FB about what is happening on X-Factor, then it's those who are making a song and dance about trying to prevent a song getting to number 1 because don't like the X-Factor. There are enough muppets who sit there glued to their TV's watching such pap because this is the culture we are now having to live with. It's a self effacing prophecy. People watch, programme makers continue to make shows for them to watch and they then watch the new programmes for fear of not being "IN" with a particular show. What is funny is the reaction I get from people who are avid X-Factor watchers when I tell them I'll be watching University Challenge or Mastermind. At least I'm taxing my grey cells rather than sitting there watchign more mindless drivel.

If there was any justice in the world, The Soldiers would be at number one at Christmas.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
QUOTE(Lancastrian @ 15 Dec 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If there was any justice in the world, The Soldiers would be at number one at Christmas.

Why, is it an amazing musical piece? Not wishing to be contravertial (and stating quite forcefully that I am a huge supporter of the HTH campaign) isn't this no different than those wishing the X Factor winner to be Xmas number one?

(You guys do understand the phrase Devil's advocate, yes?
)

·
Registered
773 Posts
The ironic thing is that the campaign was designed to pee Simon Cowell off - but all that is happening is that people are buying the RATM track who wouldn't normally part with their money for the X-Factor one, people are still buying the X-Factor track too so the end result is that Mr Cowell is getting even richer than he would be if they just didn't bother PLUS he is still guaranteed the Christmas No 1!!! Win Win as far as he is concerned!!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Good luck to Simon cowell , he knows what the people want & he gives it to them all over the world , i'm not a huge x-factor fan , but did watch the last few weeks (sky plus of course) . It's obvious he does not give a hoot about who wins he's going to coin it in whatever . we the public love to have our high opinions about Simon cowell but he always has the last laugh & i tend to always agree with his comments . the X-factor pulled in something like 20 mil viewers on the final night only bettered by a handful of programes of years ago . The susan boyle saga was obviously staged ,cut, produced & edited for that wow factor, probably filmed over more than one night . What i find hard to believe is people really think that the contestants are unknown singers , Simon cowell & his team would know of these singers long before they appear on the show.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 15 Dec 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why, is it an amazing musical piece? Not wishing to be contravertial (and stating quite forcefully that I am a huge supporter of the HTH campaign) isn't this no different than those wishing the X Factor winner to be Xmas number one?

(You guys do understand the phrase Devil's advocate, yes?
)

You have a very valid point Richard, but I was referring to it from the point of view of it raising money for charity, and shouldn't that be what Christmas is about (not getting on any particular religious soapbox here). Anyway, sensible people don't buy singles...hehehehe

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
People would've been much better advised to buy/promote Lady Gaga's Bad Romance. I'm not a massive fan but that track is immense. And the video ... can't complain

RATM are out-selling the failfactor douche digitally, but when the hard copy sales kick in (which is basically today onwards) RATM will get whooped by all the 10-13 year olds as they are the ones that really have the say in the charts but don't buy online (in general).

The sole good thing to come out the talent shows in Kelly Clarkson. Cheryl Hole and Fugly, Horsefaced, Talentless, Without-You-Ruining Leona et al can take a long jump of an extremely short one, f
ing parasites. Fair play to Simon Cowell though, he's tapped in to what the great uneducated, unwashed slobs will part with their cash for, wish I could've come up with such a simple idea.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone else find it slightly ironic that millions of people are buying a song which has the primary message of ‘f##k you, I wont do what you told me’ yet the sole reason they have bought it is because Facebook told them to? Funny old world?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.